• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dealer doesn't exist

OFOAM1

OFOAM
Just checked the Club and Dealer page. MOA has Towne BMW listed in Buffalo, NY. Not only is it not a dealer now. It never was. BMW pulled the plug before it could get started. Someone needs to update that page to reflect the current status. How did it ever get listed in the first place?

I would think that the dealers given in the anonymous book might be more accurate. At least it likely goes through a scrubbing each year before publication. The website maybe not so much. The AB lists MaxBMW (Brunswick), Gold Coast (New Hyde Park), BMW of Manhattan (NYC). Does that sound right?

Well, of all the things going on, and on my mind right now, I do have to say this one is pretty far down on my list of concerns.

Last edited:
Just checked the Club and Dealer page. MOA has Towne BMW listed in Buffalo, NY. Not only is it not a dealer now. It never was. BMW pulled the plug before it could get started.

Not quite true. Towne is a BMW car dealer. BMW NA asked them to take on the motorcycle franchise when Country Rode in Fairport, NY, closed. Towne had the franchise for approximately 18 months, but gave it up after they got into a pissing contest with BMW over several items, including showroom floor space. There are other threads on the forum with much more detail.

Just checked the Club and Dealer page. MOA has Towne BMW listed in Buffalo, NY. Not only is it not a dealer now. It never was. BMW pulled the plug before it could get started. Someone needs to update that page to reflect the current status. How did it ever get listed in the first place?

With people ordered to stay at home, I’m surprised this is the best we can do. Come on folks. How about a few more oil threads? Is nitrogen really better than filthy grease permeated garage air? What type of wax on the plastic makes the bike go faster? How about a contest? Everyone fill their gas tank and see who goes the farthest, or fastest, then who can push their bike all the way home. Who has the ugliest airhead? Who has ridden the fewest miles? By the way, we’ll need at least three laughing witnesses for that one. How many of us have never gone to a rally? How many don’t intend to ever go to a rally. Who can eat the most donuts while drinking that latte at the coffee shop? And, who among us has never ridden a BMW?

And yes, I too have been in the house too long, and need a very long ride. I just can’t touch anything, breath without a mask, or get within 6 feet of another human being while on the way, or while there. I guess that rules out eating lunch, or getting gas which seems funny because if the price of gas keeps going down, they’ll soon be paying us to take the stuff away from the station. I guess I'll have to bring a PBJ.

Taking a quote from Saving Private Ryan, “The world has taken a turn to the surreal.”

E.

Not quite true. Towne is a BMW car dealer. BMW NA asked them to take on the motorcycle franchise when Country Rode in Fairport, NY, closed. Towne had the franchise for approximately 18 months, but gave it up after they got into a pissing contest with BMW over several items, including showroom floor space. There are other threads on the forum with much more detail.

To name a few:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?91616-Towne-BMW-Buffalo-NY

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?97145-What-happened-w-BMW-of-Buffalo

Easy

With people ordered to stay at home, I’m surprised this is the best we can do. Come on folks. How about a few more oil threads? Is nitrogen really better than filthy grease permeated garage air? What type of wax on the plastic makes the bike go faster? How about a contest? Everyone fill their gas tank and see who goes the farthest, or fastest, then who can push their bike all the way home. Who has the ugliest airhead? Who has ridden the fewest miles? By the way, we’ll need at least three laughing witnesses for that one. How many of us have never gone to a rally? How many don’t intend to ever go to a rally. Who can eat the most donuts while drinking that latte at the coffee shop? And, who among us has never ridden a BMW?

And yes, I too have been in the house too long, and need a very long ride. I just can’t touch anything, breath without a mask, or get within 6 feet of another human being while on the way, or while there. I guess that rules out eating lunch, or getting gas which seems funny because if the price of gas keeps going down, they’ll soon be paying us to take the stuff away from the station. I guess I'll have to bring a PBJ.

Taking a quote from Saving Private Ryan, “The world has taken a turn to the surreal.”

E.

Thanks, I needed a laugh. Been locked in for 14 days.

When I attended the 2016 BMW MOA "Das Rally" in NY State, I had some pleasant discussions with the folks of "BMW Motorcycle - Buffalo." They had a big exhibit in the main building at the rally, and I was given a t-shirt (as were many others, I'm sure). BMW NA has standards for dealers and it seems that they had some conflict with standards for their showroom or something else with the planned Buffalo operation. For those who didn't get one, here are photos of the front and back of the T-shirt I was given:

IMG_1943.jpegIMG_1944.jpeg

MOA has Towne BMW listed in Buffalo, NY. Not only is it not a dealer now. It never was. BMW pulled the plug before it could get started.

That's not true! A friend of mine bought a new GSA there while they were a dealer.

Towne

Towne had the BMW dealership, had bikes for sale for a very short time until BMW pulled the franchise. They were in the process of building a new two story showroom for cars and bikes. BMW Motorcycle did not like the size of the showroom, The building was already going up, BMW pulled the dealership.

This was discussed in another thread in the forum only a few weeks ago.

As to things being listed in websites, anonymous books, directories, and so on, not being removed when they no longer exist, Well, the people who run the websites, print the directories and so forth are only human. If they aren't told the place is gone, they don't remove it. Also, once something is in print, it makes no sense to reprint for a trivial item.

I don't know if the person who started this thread is upset because Towne is listed and gone, or just because they are gone. I myself am peeved at BMW for being such a company that would make this kind of thing happen. That in itself is the topic of other threads and they have been discussed.

The bottom line is, don't expect the company to be in business just because they are on the web or in a directory or anonymous book. Change happens from day to day and not always for the best. If you know of a change, let the admin know and they will make the changes when they can. St.

Towne had the BMW dealership, had bikes for sale for a very short time until BMW pulled the franchise. They were in the process of building a new two story showroom for cars and bikes. BMW Motorcycle did not like the size of the showroom, The building was already going up, BMW pulled the dealership.

One would think this was discussed with the proper people in the planning stages.

One would think this was discussed with the proper people in the planning stages.

That has been the problem with BMW NA (now BMW Motorrad USA) since they took over and canned Butler and Smith: rapid staff turnover. They seem to have always used the US motorcycle positions as a stepping stone on the way up, and occasionally on the way down. In the short time I was BMW MOA President back at the turn of the century BMW NA had three different top dogs on the motorcycle side. And in marketing a couple. Their key tech rep position was fairly stable.

A few years back I was involved in a remodel of an existing building that was going to be a bar/restaurant franchise. It took over a year from the time the owners bought the land until construction started. It went through three changes of decor, style, colors and what not in the planning stages because of corporate B.S. A normal person would have given up and done something else with the building.

We did a different restaurant about the same time, it took a couple months from planning to opening the doors. It was crazy fast tracked!

Back