• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2020 Recall

The flashing brake light is an advantageous feature. Many riders go to expense and trouble to upgrade to a flashing brake light.

On a quick trip down a winding road, following someone with a flashing brake light is totally disconcerting and has me thinking of ways to get away with committing grievous bodily harm.

YMMV

:)

On a quick trip down a winding road, following someone with a flashing brake light is totally disconcerting and has me thinking of ways to get away with committing grievous bodily harm.

YMMV

The good ones flash a few (maybe 3) times and then go solid.

If you take your bike to a dealer for service, expect to have the recall done regardless.

Not a concern for me since I don't have one of the recalled bikes. I don't even own a BMW yet. But my current motorcycle (a Honda) has the flashing brake light and I wouldn't be without it.

YMMV

See Paul's note immediately below. Also, increase distance between you and the vehicle you're following, and maybe seek counseling for road rage tendencies. :)

The good ones flash a few (maybe 3) times and then go solid.

Exactly.

By the way, in my state it is perfectly legal to have a flashing brake light on a motorcycle, just as it is legal to have a dipping headlight.

See Paul's note immediately below. Also, increase distance between you and the vehicle you're following, and maybe seek counseling for road rage tendencies.

1. 3 flashes then solid still bugs me.
2. Where's the fun in riding safely?
3. You might have a point.

YMMV

We have some blink for a few, but I don’t brake often:dance

YMMV

I engine brake most of the time, but if you were following me I would probably ride my brakes for shi*s and giggles :)

What's that? I assume we aren't talking about Skoal or Copenhagen...

No not chew!

It’s a feature that makes the headlight slowly pulse, almost like it is winking, although it never goes fully dark. Like the blinking brakelight, it’s very eye-catching to distracted motorists. For daytime use only.

I engine brake most of the time, but if you were following me I would probably ride my brakes for shi*s and giggles :)

I would expect nothing less. :laugh

Regarding engine braking, that's the biggest thing I miss from my R bike.

Hex ezCAN has options to maintain stock brakes, "California flash" (4 in one second then solid), constant flash, or deceleration flash. I think Admore and Skene lights have deceleration flash too, not sure if it's selectable or not. So this recall fixes an OEM behavior that's available on the aftermarket.

I'd like to see KPH display option enabled on the TFT screens, not sure why BMW thought disabling that on bikes that might be ridden into Canada or Mexico was a good idea.

The dealers are by law required to perform the recall wether we like it or not. At least the aftermarket won't be going out of business either...
IMHO the antiquated US laws with regard to vehicle lights are actually the ones in need of some serious updating ..YMMV

Back