• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Lets get this party started!

69zeff65

The "Barn Bike" has officially started paint and reassembly work. 1969 R 69S that literally sat in a barn disassembled since 1975 has gotten a new lease on life. It will be "Turf Green" with the paint being supplied by Holt Design.

I'm a little behind the eight ball with the pictures of progress as I had to get a new computer, you would think these computers would last a little longer, I got 10 years out of the last one. I will see if I can dig up some pictures of it the day I picked it up, they might even be posted in the forum already somewhere.

Turf Green

You really like those green bikes. My '55 R69 is Polizei Green like your R50. I have another '67 R60/2 in green also. We need pictures.

Dave in MI

Welcome to the forum, slash2nut! Was your R69 actually in police use in Germany? My R25/2 was part of the police force up until 1970 in a small town near Koblenz.

In the beginning!

This is the "Barn Bike" as I pulled it out its hiding spot and loaded it up many moths and dollars ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 314
When or if I get the pictures resized I can share

Well the Barn Bike is coming along nicely these days, some stuff is worked and painted with some Holt Turf Green, I have almost all the needed motor parts to reassemble, tires ready to mount on fresh wheels and a few other things on the list. I have some pictures to share regarding the progress of the restoration. Unfortunately I can't figure out just how to resize the pictures so I can post them. I thought windows 10 was supposed to be an upgrade and not a road block to simplicity. I guess I just hijacked my own thread to whine about a stupid computer. Maybe I will get mailing addresses for all interested and send printed copies out.

Well the Barn Bike is coming along nicely these days, some stuff is worked and painted with some Holt Turf Green, I have almost all the needed motor parts to reassemble, tires ready to mount on fresh wheels and a few other things on the list. I have some pictures to share regarding the progress of the restoration. Unfortunately I can't figure out just how to resize the pictures so I can post them. I thought windows 10 was supposed to be an upgrade and not a road block to simplicity. I guess I just hijacked my own thread to whine about a stupid computer. Maybe I will get mailing addresses for all interested and send printed copies out.

You can use the "Photos" tool that comes with Windows 10 to resize your photos. Once you have Photos open and your picture open, click on the three-dot menu at the top right corner of the Photos screen and select "Resize". You will see three pre-set options plus a custom sizing. You might try the "M" setting first, and this thread has some helpful information. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?2021-How-do-I-post-a-picture-Try-2mb-or-less-sizing

The included applications with Windows 10 are not intended to be the best tool, but rather "a" tool, so you might want to look at commercial products like ACDSee if you want more ease and control to manage and edit your photos.

I would recommend getting a SmugMug account, it is a pay site but works extremely well. I've been using my account for over 10 years and have over 10000 pics up. It makes posting photos super easy. The owner is the guy who owns ADVrider.com which is the biggest forum out there with over 350 000 members around the world. You can use the coupon in my sig line to save $5 when you open one.

Here are a few more

It's time to paint that frame and start reassembly

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 268
Looks like you have a 12 volt system based on the shape of the battery bracket. I'd want to check out all the electrics carefully during the reassembly.
I'd recommend assembling the engine bottom half prior to placing the engine into the frame. You can do the top end later. The extra weight of installing a completely assembled engine encourages you to scratch the frame paint.
Good luck with your project.
Get it together and enjoy a great motorcycle!

I've been down that road before

Great advice Bruce. I've got a few under my belt and have the motor thing all worked out I leave it bare. No top end, timing cover, flywheel or oil pan. I spray a little Canola cooking spray on it and it just slides right in.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 238
I have had a few distractions lately

But I did make some progress on the Barn Bike. I think I might respray the sport tank, it has a couple little issues that will bug the stuff out of me. I'm hoping to get the pinstripes done this weekend so I can get the front end back together. The lower end of the motor should go pretty quick and then install it in the frame before the oil pick up & pan, fly wheel stuff, timing cover and no jugs.

Attachments

• reassembly  1.JPG
    reassembly 1.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 209
  • reassembly2.JPG
    reassembly2.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 210
  • reassembly3.JPG
    reassembly3.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 208
  • reassembly4.JPG
    reassembly4.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 210
Looks like excellent progress, and it seems you are taking the time to do it up to your standards. Looking forward to the next steps. :bikes

Nope on the 4 cylinder stuff

The other set of heads are R 60/2 LK heads that I got from a fellow Vintage guy and are going on my restored Dover White R 60US which currently has the original "Butter Heads" on it, I have to get them out to Randy Long for a refresh and exhaust thread repair on one of them before that happens. The Barn Bike had R 69S LK heads that were almost toast but Randy Long worked on them and brought them back to life. It took over a month to get the motor apart without destroying critical parts like the block, cylinders and the heads. I did get an "Oh ****" from Vech when I sent pictures of the swollen slingers and melted front bearing carrier which was followed up with a "Paper Weight" reference to the destroyed crank shaft when I asked if that could be rebuilt. I will say chasing parts and getting specialized work (crank shaft & heads rebuilt) has been a challenge but the most frustrating part is getting the body work ready and painted, Kent Holt has provided the perfectly matched "Turf Green" paint for this bike and all the other non black bikes before it but I have tortured myself with the prep and finishing of all these parts. By far getting the body & paint work right is the toughest part, now I get to find the right person to provide the correct pinstripe job with out a lot of drama or travel in a decent time frame.

I'll try to keep updating the progress on this bike, unfortunately I get carried away and would rather stay greasy, sweaty and dirty than snap and post pictures.

Moving along slow but sure

The Earles Fork with the "S" bike hydraulic steering damper is a nice piece of art especially when its nicely detailed and operational. Pinstripes and motor reassembly are next and then I get to tackle the wiring, I have to dig out that "smoke tester" for that step.

Attachments

• on the way 1.JPG
    on the way 1.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 175
  • On the way 2.JPG
    On the way 2.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 173
  • On the way 3.JPG
    On the way 3.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 171
Finally got around to pinstripes

The gas tanks look like old bald guys without pinstripes. I had it done at my local dealer back in the shop air conditioned shop that is. That's my Bristol Grey R 69S in the background that was used as reference for pinstripe location and start & stop. Kent Holt did the paint and stripes on that one and got me the Turf Green paint for this one. I muddled my way through bodywork and painting, what a pain in the A$$$$.

Attachments

• pinstripe1.JPG
    pinstripe1.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 153
  • pinstripe2.JPG
    pinstripe2.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 152
  • pinstripe4.JPG
    pinstripe4.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 150
Back