• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lets get this party started!

Moving along slow but sure

Well I'm tackling the wiring for now, I need to get a couple items so it all goes together and be tested before I mount the headlight bucket in the frame. Its a pain to fix things upside down and backwards. I will get the lower end back together and in the frame while I wait for the electrical things to arrive.

Attachments

• going together.JPG
    going together.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 137
  • going together 2.JPG
    going together 2.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 138
  • going together 3.JPG
    going together 3.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 138
I use quality brushes and rollers

Seriously, I have more luck than talent. I got the paint from Kent Holt and the glasurit paint is very forgiving as well as easy to correct mistakes with. That's not me doing the pinstripe job, I was able to find a local guy who can lay them down like a pro.

Lower end together!

I'm far to non talent to have a camera with a charged battery to post pictures but I got the bottom end together and ready to stick it in the frame. I'm holding off with a fly wheel and front gear cover install until the lower end is secure in the frame where it belongs. I have to get a new oil pump gear nut (left hand thread) and locking plate, the nut has got thread issues ( I replaced the oil pump gears) and I seem to have lost the locking plate. Go figure with this stuff, I joke about the special container that I put a few key parts in when I disassemble so I don't lose them and then I can't find the special container. Any way its going together, I've got a couple other things to keep my spring loaded mind focused on clearing projects but I must remember to keep the camera close and its battery charged.

Great job on restoration, 'specially the pinstriping.

I always hated having inspection or other stickers being affixed to the fork legs (or in this case front shock). I am very glad that NC has gone to a computerized inspection "sticker" and we no longer need a physical sticker. I've seen some folks use a small metal plate affixed somewhere obvious to display the required sticker.

Untitled.jpg

Its hard to see but!

Those are the original shock covers (front and rear) cleaned and polished, that sticker is from 1975 which was the last year the bike was ridden before it was taken apart and forgotten. I also have the last license plate it used which will also be used. I did manage to get the lower end together and stuck in the frame where it belongs. I replaced the oil pump gears and neglected to order a new nut for the pump drive gear the original one has some buggered threads so I don't want to reuse it. I've had a bunch of distractions lately.

Attachments

• motor in 1.JPG
    motor in 1.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 83
  • motor in 2.JPG
    motor in 2.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 84
  • motor in 3.JPG
    motor in 3.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Motor in 4.JPG
    Motor in 4.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 83
Those are the original shock covers (front and rear) cleaned and polished, that sticker is from 1975 which was the last year the bike was ridden before it was taken apart and forgotten. I also have the last license plate it used which will also be used. I did manage to get the lower end together and stuck in the frame where it belongs. I replaced the oil pump gears and neglected to order a new nut for the pump drive gear the original one has some buggered threads so I don't want to reuse it. I've had a bunch of distractions lately.

Zeff:

What's the blue bike on the left, in the second image?

Nice work; thanks for posting.

There's a story behind those lights

The blue one is high beam and the red is the turn signal. The bike is a late '69 12 volt bike in Turf Green.

Like I said before, many distractions

Zeff:

What's the blue bike on the left, in the second image?

Nice work; thanks for posting.

So many I can't read "bike" instead I read "light". That's my 2020 R 9T/5 edition and one of my many distractions. Who wants to spend the days in the obviously over crowded shop when there are so many fun fun machines to take out for a spin?

Attachments

• 9t5.JPG
    9t5.JPG
    433.3 KB · Views: 76
So many I can't read "bike" instead I read "light". That's my 2020 R 9T/5 edition and one of my many distractions. Who wants to spend the days in the obviously over crowded shop when there are so many fun fun machines to take out for a spin?

The heads got my attention; pretty exotic.

Had a few interuptions but still moving along

Had a few of those "oops I gotta order somethings" and some other unrelated issues pop up but still managed to get it a few more steps forward.

Attachments

• slow going 2.JPG
    slow going 2.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 167
  • slow going 3.JPG
    slow going 3.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 168
  • slow going.JPG
    slow going.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 164
After a slight pause for the Holidays

I got the Barn Bike back on track. Its getting closer.

Attachments

• almost there.JPG
    almost there.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 142
  • almost there 2.JPG
    almost there 2.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 143
  • almost there 3.JPG
    almost there 3.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 146
  • almost there 4.JPG
    almost there 4.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 140
  • almost there 5.JPG
    almost there 5.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 142
  • almost there 6.JPG
    almost there 6.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 143
  • almost there 7.JPG
    almost there 7.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 144
A review of what I started with

And after a little rubbing compound, wax and a couple hours of buffing all I had left to do was a complete tune up and now I'm almost ready for a ride around the block.

Attachments

• IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 120
  • BarnBike 1.JPG
    BarnBike 1.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 122
  • BarnBike2.JPG
    BarnBike2.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 119
  • BarnBike5.JPG
    BarnBike5.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 122
Sometimes you just have to look!

It's far from finished, I still have to add a couple diodes to the turn signals, get a couple metal cable clamps, install a new fender emblem, get the correct batteries and maybe even start it up. Those are OEM NOS mufflers that a good friend let me buy so I'll get a set of "sport" or stainless mufflers before I run it and give it a nice break in run.

Attachments

• break time 1.JPG
    break time 1.JPG
    623.8 KB · Views: 95
  • break time 2.JPG
    break time 2.JPG
    564.9 KB · Views: 96
  • break time 3.JPG
    break time 3.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 96
  • break time 4.JPG
    break time 4.JPG