• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Airbox cleaning - parts question

thomhplatt

Hey guys! Due to this nasty COVID-19 stuff I got a laid off my job... that means I have 2 months to get deep into the R90/6 and give her some well needed love... she’s been sitting for 21 years. Yikes.

Anyhow... I’m in the Airbox and I want to know if the cross bar/bracket with 1 central bolt is safe to remove, or if it’s supporting something below it?

Ill post a pic to show you what I mean!

Stay safe and thank you for the replies to this thread, as well as the other countless posts. It’s all very helpful.

Thanks!

This picture shows the "clamping spring" in question:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...76_2477_BMW_R_60_7&diagId=13_0480#13721251169

The bolt holding it is only 22mm long. Not sure what it screws into...guess it's a steel screw threaded into the aluminum transmission case. Doesn't look like it connects to anything inside the transmission. There is one or two bolts somewhere that I thought it was suggested to not remove. Duane has something mid way down on this page.

https://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-5-transmission-gearbox-service-and-repair/

If it were me, I'd loosen the bolt, move the clip out of the way to clean, and then move back into position. I just don't trust what might or might not be on the other end of that bolt.

You can take that bolt out with nothing falling off on the inside; but it you are cleaning with any kind of fluid then putting the bolt back in will prevent fluids from getting inside.

Back