• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 G650GS transmission question

Last summer we bought a 2012 G650GS for my daughter for her first bike. Has about 40K on it and we are third owner. She loves it and it is a great bike --but for one thing. I'm not sure if it is a problem or if "they all do that": When shifted into first from neutral, the whole bike lurches quite noticeably, as if the clutch is not fully disengaged. Does this cold or hot. Once in gear, shifts smoothly, with no missed shifts or false neutrals. Clutch seems to function OK and adjustment is correct per the manual.

My three previous boxers (airhead, hexed, camhead) did not do this.

Do we have a transmission problem? I'd appreciate feedback from another G650GS owner or technician?

Chris Ossanna

Last summer we bought a 2012 G650GS for my daughter for her first bike. Has about 40K on it and we are third owner. She loves it and it is a great bike --but for one thing. I'm not sure if it is a problem or if "they all do that": When shifted into first from neutral, the whole bike lurches quite noticeably, as if the clutch is not fully disengaged. Does this cold or hot. Once in gear, shifts smoothly, with no missed shifts or false neutrals. Clutch seems to function OK and adjustment is correct per the manual.

Do we have a transmission problem? I'd appreciate feedback from another G650GS owner or technician?

Chris Ossanna

It is not a transmission issue. At worst it is a clutch issue. It strongly suggests that the pulling of the clutch lever is not allowing/causing the clutch to completely disengage. You should try reducing the free play at the lever which will slightly increase the amount of cable pull on the clutch. This will minimize if not solve the problem. But do make sure there is still some free play.

That said, there is a little bit of "they all do that" with the F650 single and G650 bikes. All three of ours would do it if the weather was cold. You can combat this by being sure to always hold the front brake firmly when shifting a stationary bike from neutral or second into first.

Chris Ossanna

As Paul replied, most “wet clutch” bikes will do this to some extent, but excessive drag may indicate warped clutch plates. Even so, most riders just live with it. Clutch packs are fairly easy to replace but parts can be expensive.

Thanks Paul!

It is not a transmission issue. At worst it is a clutch issue. It strongly suggests that the pulling of the clutch lever is not allowing/causing the clutch to completely disengage. You should try reducing the free play at the lever which will slightly increase the amount of cable pull on the clutch. This will minimize if not solve the problem. But do make sure there is still some free play.

That said, there is a little bit of "they all do that" with the F650 single and G650 bikes. All three of ours would do it if the weather was cold. You can combat this by being sure to always hold the front brake firmly when shifting a stationary bike from neutral or second into first.

Thanks Paul: Your technical knowledge of BMWs is unsurpassed!
--Chris

Thanks!

As Paul replied, most “wet clutch” bikes will do this to some extent, but excessive drag may indicate warped clutch plates. Even so, most riders just live with it. Clutch packs are fairly easy to replace but parts can be expensive.

Thankyou. This is a load off my mind. Now I can just worry about everyday stuff, like Covid-19.
--Chris

Followup to G650GS transmission lurch

I wanted to share some info. on my daughter's 2012 G650GS that may help other riders. I removed the rear wheel in order to scrub the chain crud off in Simple Green before re-lubing. I discovered the rear hub contains 3 crescent-moon shaped rubber "absorbers" (BMW part # 27712345789) that the rear sprocket carrier rides in. On our bike, the absorbers were quite worn after 43K and the sprocket had noticeable slop --could rock it back and forth about 1/4". Once new ones installed ($122.97 later--ouch!), the sprocket carrier fit snugly in the hub, with no slop. This reduced the lurch when putting the bike into first from neutral, which was the problem I earlier posted. Still has the lurch, but to a lesser degree. I also adjusted the clutch, per what Paul G. suggested. Together, these helped.

Back