• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wunderlich Protection Bars for RT

mnole55

I'm considering the engine & luggage protection bars from Wunderlich. If you have either of these, how do you like them? Also just wondering what would look better on a Black RT (2009-but whatever) the silver or black. I even thought of silver engine bars and black luggage bars. If anyone has pics of these installed, that would be great.

Just waiting for the snow to melt.

I have Illium bars on my '18 RT. I'm very content with them but that's not to say that Wunderlich is not also a good product.

On my black/dark blue (depending upon how the sun hits it) bike I chose the silver engine bars and black rear bars to try to make the bars as inconspicuous as possible. I'm pleased. I don't have good photos of the installation but will have the bike out later today. I'll get some shots and post them here for you.

Ride safe & have fun!

I have the chrome Wunderlich engine and luggage bars on my "Ebony Metallic" RT. I think they look really great and I'll bet that they'd really set off you Black ride. Also, the Luggage bars really help with putting the bike on the centerstand - they provide a great handgrip.

229f43dbb3940b6abf0bb8421b1a90e9.jpg

If I can think of ANY positive should this years rally be canceled, it's that I won't spend money getting guards, Illum or otherwise on my '18 RT this year. Those look sharp, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the pics and replies!

I do like the looks of silver by engine and black for bags. (chrome idea too) I also am looking at the Iliums more. I was thinking of doing this before riding from MN to MT for the rally with my brother. But who knows? Good day for snow melt today. It's getting closer.

Not an answer to your question, but I bought used wunderlich bars for my k1600. Rustoleum Pro semi-gloss black is an exact match for wunderlich black bars.

I’ve had both the illium works and wunderlich engine guards on RT bikes. Both look good. My observation on the illium is right side contacts a radiator hose firmly, enough that I added a foam filler to help prevent abrasion and the wunderlich right side was not shaped perfectly so I had to torque the unit to the bike.

There have been a few complaints that the rear Wunderlich bars can be uncomfortable for some passengers, pressing against the back of their leg or knee. Seems to be an issue mainly for those with short legs.

I have the front Wunderlich bars and they have saved me some valve cover damage from stationary drops. I'd suggest using anti-seize on the mounting screws. The steel tends to react with the aluminum and makes removal difficult. The bars do not need to be removed for maintenance. Valve covers are easily removed and even the front tupperware comes off with the bars in place - just rotate the fairing toward the front of the bike as you lift it away.

When you remove your valve covers, you will discover that some engine guards have more clearance than others. Especially if you have some stuff attached to them, like footpegs or auxiliary lights. I found that my Ilium guards don't constrict the ability to remove the valve covers, but that another MOA member needs to unbolt his highway pegs and loosen the lower guard mounts before he can remove his valve covers. Food for thought.

Cap

When you remove your valve covers, you will discover that some engine guards have more clearance than others.

If I purchased protection bars, being able to remove the valve covers without messing with the bars would be very important to me.

I'm considering the engine & luggage protection bars from Wunderlich. If you have either of these, how do you like them? Also just wondering what would look better on a Black RT (2009-but whatever) the silver or black. I even thought of silver engine bars and black luggage bars. If anyone has pics of these installed, that would be great.

Just waiting for the snow to melt.

I had the black Illium Works bars on my white 17 RT. I can attest that they worked wonderfully to protect the bags and fairings. I had put a wider footstand on the kickstand and the bike did not lean over as much as before. I parked it on a slight slope and the bike tipped over. I felt foolish, but no damage to the bike at all. Some nicks on the guards, but that was what they were for.

Cheap Chinese crash bars on ebay for the R1250RT

Has anyone tried these crash bars from ebay for the R1250RT? They are selling both the engine and rear crash bars for a total of only $329.99, from China. I don't need heavy duty protection, and I wonder if these will work good enough for simple cases when you drop your bike.

The current ebay listing link is
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313525230426

And the description is
Front & Rear Engine Guard Crash Bars Case Ptotector For BMW R1250RT 2018-2021

Are these knockoffs of a particular brand? The Wunderlich rear bars should have a spacer for the footpeg where the bar mounts. But I don't see that in the parts for these, but otherwise they look very similar

I'm sure everyone has their speculation or emotional comments, but please let me know if you technical data or facts that could be helpful to decide whether to even bother with these.

My other question is that I have seen brand new Wunderlich bars on sale in ebay from usa and EU vendors for less money including shipping than the jacked up overpriced Wunderlich America dealer. Anyone tried ordering from ebay?

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have a nice bike.
I like nice accessories on a nice bike.
Good luck
Gary

Not the same but just bought a windshield from Wunderlich. Should have ordered shield that accommodates powerlet on dash. They swapped it out. Windshield works better than the other that I have. Nice to deal with someone that wants to fix a problem if you have it.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Welcome to the forum.
I would not buy the ebay China bars.
It's going to be a hassle if you have a fitment problem. You already spotted one piece missing.

Welcome to the forum.
It's going to be a hassle if you have a fitment problem. You already spotted one piece missing.

Related: I bought two G310 center stands off eBay from Asia. One broke right away. I contacted the seller. He sent a replacement. Then the second one broke. The seller had vanished. I bought a SW Motech stand from Revzilla. Finally, the third eBay stand broke so I am buying another SW Motech stand.

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I agree it is too risky to buy the Chinese parts if no one has tried it. I just don't like to be price gouged for 2 pieces of steel.

BTW, I'll be picking up my 2022 R1250RT from the dealer next week. I custom ordered it in July.

Back