Thread: Wunderlich Protection Bars for RT

Wunderlich Protection Bars for RT

I'm considering the engine & luggage protection bars from Wunderlich. If you have either of these, how do you like them? Also just wondering what would look better on a Black RT (2009-but whatever) the silver or black. I even thought of silver engine bars and black luggage bars. If anyone has pics of these installed, that would be great.

Just waiting for the snow to melt.

I have Illium bars on my '18 RT. I'm very content with them but that's not to say that Wunderlich is not also a good product.

On my black/dark blue (depending upon how the sun hits it) bike I chose the silver engine bars and black rear bars to try to make the bars as inconspicuous as possible. I'm pleased. I don't have good photos of the installation but will have the bike out later today. I'll get some shots and post them here for you.

Ride safe & have fun!
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

Jeff Dean posts a lot of his pics - have a look at https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Wethead/page34 post 497.

Photos aren't great but I hope they give you an idea.

IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3333.jpg
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

I have the chrome Wunderlich engine and luggage bars on my "Ebony Metallic" RT. I think they look really great and I'll bet that they'd really set off you Black ride. Also, the Luggage bars really help with putting the bike on the centerstand - they provide a great handgrip.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

If I can think of ANY positive should this years rally be canceled, it's that I won't spend money getting guards, Illum or otherwise on my '18 RT this year. Those look sharp, thanks for posting.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Thanks for the pics and replies!

I do like the looks of silver by engine and black for bags. (chrome idea too) I also am looking at the Iliums more. I was thinking of doing this before riding from MN to MT for the rally with my brother. But who knows? Good day for snow melt today. It's getting closer.

Not an answer to your question, but I bought used wunderlich bars for my k1600. Rustoleum Pro semi-gloss black is an exact match for wunderlich black bars.

Iíve had both the illium works and wunderlich engine guards on RT bikes. Both look good. My observation on the illium is right side contacts a radiator hose firmly, enough that I added a foam filler to help prevent abrasion and the wunderlich right side was not shaped perfectly so I had to torque the unit to the bike.

There have been a few complaints that the rear Wunderlich bars can be uncomfortable for some passengers, pressing against the back of their leg or knee. Seems to be an issue mainly for those with short legs.

I have the front Wunderlich bars and they have saved me some valve cover damage from stationary drops. I'd suggest using anti-seize on the mounting screws. The steel tends to react with the aluminum and makes removal difficult. The bars do not need to be removed for maintenance. Valve covers are easily removed and even the front tupperware comes off with the bars in place - just rotate the fairing toward the front of the bike as you lift it away.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

When you remove your valve covers, you will discover that some engine guards have more clearance than others. Especially if you have some stuff attached to them, like footpegs or auxiliary lights. I found that my Ilium guards don't constrict the ability to remove the valve covers, but that another MOA member needs to unbolt his highway pegs and loosen the lower guard mounts before he can remove his valve covers. Food for thought.

Cap

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    When you remove your valve covers, you will discover that some engine guards have more clearance than others.
    If I purchased protection bars, being able to remove the valve covers without messing with the bars would be very important to me.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by mnole55 View Post
    I'm considering the engine & luggage protection bars from Wunderlich. If you have either of these, how do you like them? Also just wondering what would look better on a Black RT (2009-but whatever) the silver or black. I even thought of silver engine bars and black luggage bars. If anyone has pics of these installed, that would be great.

Just waiting for the snow to melt.
    I had the black Illium Works bars on my white 17 RT. I can attest that they worked wonderfully to protect the bags and fairings. I had put a wider footstand on the kickstand and the bike did not lean over as much as before. I parked it on a slight slope and the bike tipped over. I felt foolish, but no damage to the bike at all. Some nicks on the guards, but that was what they were for.
    Lynn Lopez - 19 S1000XR
    Keeping two wheels down and waving at everyone!
    SATXBiker
    San Antonio, TX