• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

throttle cable mod

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi everyone hope you are all staying well, I have a 2000 r1100rt which I feel the throttle is very tireing on my wrist have moved the spiral return spring over the stop to make it less strong was wondering if it is possible to replace cables with ones off 1982 on airhead ,one into two with splitter box, doing away with the box unit on the bike ? does this make sence, anyway thanks in advance Jimmy:scratch

Hi everyone hope you are all staying well, I have a 2000 r1100rt which I feel the throttle is very tireing on my wrist have moved the spiral return spring over the stop to make it less strong was wondering if it is possible to replace cables with ones off 1982 on airhead ,one into two with splitter box, doing away with the box unit on the bike ? does this make sence, anyway thanks in advance Jimmy:scratch

You would never keep the throttle body synchronization in balance. What you need to do is to clean up any grit and grunge in the bell crank box and replace all of the cables. It will then feel like new.

thanks

thank you Paul ,for the info, of coarse thats the reason for the box!! yes I will strip and clean the box and cables it snaps shut so I dont think there is much dirt in there, I have passed the bike onto my son and he has never complained, so will ask what he thinks when the snow goes away and we can ride again:thumb

I don't think there is a functional throttle-pull difference between the Airhead splitter and the Oilhead box. Both provide 1:1 splitting of the input to two outputs, and neither adds any spring effect. All of the spring effect is at the throttle bodies. If you went to the Airhead system you'd lose the built-in "choke" function that the R1100 box provides.

If your spring modification doesn't provide enough force to return the throttles, replace the cables and thoroughly clean or just replace the box. There has been an upgrade to the cables and new ones are really awesome.

many thanks

thank you all for the great advice, Mark my son will let me know if he wishes me to look further, he unfortunately he is in hospital being treated for Leukemia and responding well so trying to keep his and my mind on other things, keep well, once again thanks Jimmy

could be

I would rather have the old system when I needed to change a throttle cable on the road. Arthritis is a bitch to get into that damm box. I never really used the "choke" anyway..First 2 oilheads never worked in the at start of ownership. 317,000 on the 97 and it was useless the whole time.

hello

HI brian so am I right in thinking you modified yours to the older airhead cables and splitter ? how did it go and did it stay in sync , also did you use airhead parts ?,thanks in advance Jimmy

HI brian so am I right in thinking you modified yours to the older airhead cables and splitter ? how did it go and did it stay in sync , also did you use airhead parts ?,thanks in advance Jimmy

If you really want to make a change go back to the original style single cable that runs from the twistgrip to the left throttle body, wraps around and then crosses over to the right throttle body. If BMW had simply beefed up that cable size instead of using the 1st year engineering intern's goofy bellcrank box the world would be better for it. This would require the original style left throttle body pulley.

In all honesty though I think your problem is worn, crappy, cruddy cables.

Personally I think the crossover cable is a fundamentally flawed design and BMW recognized that. It relies on zero slack (what is zero?) and then you have hysteresis in the cable movement that ensures that the slave side will always lag the movement of the master. The result is acceptable when all of the parts are in perfect condition, but the splitter systems ensure that the same input is given to each side under all conditions.

Personally I think the crossover cable is a fundamentally flawed design and BMW recognized that. It relies on zero slack (what is zero?) and then you have hysteresis in the cable movement that ensures that the slave side will always lag the movement of the master. The result is acceptable when all of the parts are in perfect condition, but the splitter systems ensure that the same input is given to each side under all conditions.

There certainly were reported problems, surging being key among them. That said, Voni's R1100RS at over 400K miles has never exhibited any issues with the cable other than synching the throttle bodies each major service. I actually like that much more than I liked the bell crank system on my R1150R. But that is just me. I was used to futzing with Airheads and this was a lot less futzing than that.

My point was that if a person is bound and determined to eliminate the factory splitter then going to the older single cable might be preferable to transplanting a kludge of Airhead parts. Of course, having never done that I might be wrong.

No I have not made that mod. But it has been in the back of my mind since I first saw the setup that BMW had.

Routing may have been a problem but 2 cables from the twist grip to the throttle bodes would have been my choice. Easier to fix on the side of the road. ( took about 10 minute stop on my 88 R100RT)

There certainly were reported problems, surging being key among them. That said, Voni's R1100RS at over 400K miles has never exhibited any issues with the cable other than synching the throttle bodies each major service. I actually like that much more than I liked the bell crank system on my R1150R. But that is just me. I was used to futzing with Airheads and this was a lot less futzing than that.

My point was that if a person is bound and determined to eliminate the factory splitter then going to the older single cable might be preferable to transplanting a kludge of Airhead parts. Of course, having never done that I might be wrong.

Paul does Voni’s RS still has the original throttled cable?

So, what components would you use? Cables, throttle assembly? Anything else?

This was just thoughts from my first encounter with the setup. With over 500,000 miles on 4 oilhead RTs it's getting tough to change cables, but don't see me doing it again unlees on the side of the road. So no scratching my head and trying to find the right parts

No. Number 2. The original was replaced at 283,695 miles.
Thanks Paul I have 84 k on my 94 RS I had a hell of time getting my throttle bodies sync. I thought it was cable but when I found the real issue and corrected it everything fell in place. I really like the single cable and at present time don't see any reason to change it.

Back