• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Failed Wilbers Rear Shock

brownie

I posted this on FB....but wanted to share here also:

2 weeks ago, cruising on slab @ 75, I heard a loud BANG, I immediately became a “low rider.” Fearing a rear blowout, I slowed cautiously. No flat, bike was quite low, could not extend sidestand ! I limped to next exit, parked at Wally World, and called for tow truck (not a good story either).

Shock shaft sheared off at lower thread section. Too old for warranty. New TFX on order.....:thumb

I've never heard of that happening before. Certainly glad that you were not injured. The initial sound must have been rather unnerving. How did the bike handle as you slowed to a stop?

Shock info

Kevin & Paul...

Handling...unusually stable....fender was not hitting tire; spring kept about 1/2”. Clearance.

Shock bought new by fellow MOA member in ‘06. He had it rebuilt professionally by distributor in ‘13. I bought it used, but still in rebuild box in ‘17. 4.5 years in service, 35K miles.

You are very likely correct in thinking there will be no warranty like assistance, but there just may be. A complete failure is pretty unusual and may be of interest to Wilbers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Warranty gone

You are very likely correct in thinking there will be no warranty like assistance, but there just may be. A complete failure is pretty unusual and may be of interest to Wilbers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Kevin......have tried.....they say “No way Jose” :banghead

Sorry it happened and the OP is ok, but I doubt anyone will warranty a 14 year old shock that went through who knows what.... YMMV

I posted this on FB....but wanted to share here also:

2 weeks ago, cruising on slab @ 75, I heard a loud BANG, I immediately became a “low rider.” Fearing a rear blowout, I slowed cautiously. No flat, bike was quite low, could not extend sidestand ! I limped to next exit, parked at Wally World, and called for tow truck (not a good story either).

Shock shaft sheared off at lower thread section. Too old for warranty. New TFX on order.....:thumb

Do you have a picture? 14-years is a long time for seals/valves and, perhaps, the spring, but a structural failure of the shaft/body is surprising

Wilbers Pic

Do you have a picture? 14-years is a long time for seals/valves and, perhaps, the spring, but a structural failure of the shaft/body is surprising

This is the Wilbers 641

Attachments

• 12D99400-8FAE-4F69-99AE-1DB1F790FB9C.jpeg
    12D99400-8FAE-4F69-99AE-1DB1F790FB9C.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 136
I’ve seen something similar happen to an OEM shock on a K75S. In that case, the lower eye seized on its mounting shaft and the shaft snapped. One of the reasons it’s a good idea to periodically check shock linkages and pivots to make sure they are not bound up, as well as checking the overall condition of the shocks themselves.

Best,
DeVern

I’ve seen something similar happen to an OEM shock on a K75S. In that case, the lower eye seized on its mounting shaft and the shaft snapped. One of the reasons it’s a good idea to periodically check shock linkages and pivots to make sure they are not bound up, as well as checking the overall condition of the shocks themselves.

Best,
DeVern

I like that possibility. In any case, 14 years old......rebuilt once already......is still old.
OM

I’ve seen something similar happen to an OEM shock on a K75S. In that case, the lower eye seized on its mounting shaft and the shaft snapped.

Judging by the supplied picture, I'm going to venture a guess that's what happened here. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a bushing stuck in the stock eye?

Best,
DeVern

A close-up end-on view of the failed shaft might give some clue. One break all the way across (catastrophic failure) or a variation in color (fatigue). But, your suggested scenario seems viable.

Back