• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we will overcome, but it's important to keep the magnitude of the challenge in focus. The peak year for polio deaths (7130) was 1916 when the US had a population of 102 million. The second peak, 3120 deaths, occurred in 1952 when the US had a population of 158 million people. The polio survival rate was much higher in 1952 due to the invention of the iron lung. In 1955, the Salk vaccine was introduced and Polio became a thing of history for us in the US.

As of last night, the COVID-19 deaths in Italy stand at 4825 for a country with a population of 60.5 million. Those deaths have occurred in a period of less than 2~3wks. On a per capita basis, yesterday's toll in Italy, exceeds the 1916 Polio epidemic in the US. But, why consider Italy ....... they have 10~15% more hospital beds per capita than the US, so healthcare system impact may be similar.

Thus, the current measures may seem extreme, to some, but we're facing a stronger adversary than before. So, follow the guidelines and help where and when you can.

You missed my point.

Everybody is out walking in my suburban neighborhood. People cross the street and give a smile and wave.

I got out for a little bicycle ride in Creston yesterday and even though the temp was only in the mid 40s quite a few people were out walking.
Yesterday the mayor of Des Moines asked the residents there to stay home for a couple weeks. He suggested people get outside to exercise on nice days but keep their distance.
This is for Des Moines only, none of the suburbs.

We're in self isolation due to my missus having asthma, they are saying maybe 12 weeks. So far we only have 4 confirmed and 6 presumptive cases. The province has been under health advisory for social distancing for a week or more. 4 days ago all bars and restaurants were closed. We are an island which will serve to help us.

Canada had been trying to get ahead as fast as it can in response to the world view and so far seems to be holding fairly well. The countries who did not realize the dangers early enough are paying the price, look at Spain and Italy where 800 people died in a single day. The government has stepped up assistance programs across the board basically paying people to stay home and not be out spreading the virus. Good thing as who knows when work will be calling me again between corona and the plummet in oil prices.

From the little I've heard the US has been very slow to get on board in many states, you should all be very concerned because it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better down there.

We have enough food to last 3 months and between homebrew, beer in the fridge and my cellar I can last the rest of the year easy.

You all stay safe out there, it's going to be a long ride!

I forgot to add this bit, if you weren't afraid before consider this: the virus can remain airborne for up to 3 hours, it can live on surfaces for up to 3 days!

We're considering things like mail where we will be wearing gloves and leaving the mail outside for a few days.

This just in: people just returned from Florida and decided that going to a wake and a funeral before self isolation was a good idea. Who knows how many people they infected. Maybe the Lynch mobs will start popping up?

In PA, one side of the political spectrum is trying to take the non-essential business shutdown to court as illegal. Proving stupid isn't limited to 20yo's in college

I hope people write down and remember the plaintiff businesses pursuing this selfish folly. And never patronize them again. And while they are at it they should note which shysters took these cases and never use them again, ever for the rest of their lives. When the dust settles, so to speak, these lawyers should all be asking, "Would you like fries with that burger?" :banghead

This just in: people just returned from Florida and decided that going to a wake and a funeral before self isolation was a good idea. Who knows how many people they infected. Maybe the Lynch mobs will start popping up?

^^^^^not helpful^^^^^
Seems like there is enough places on the web and social media trying to create hysteria.....dontcha think?
om

I called a good friend, millennial lady who works in the hospitality businesses - waitress sometimes, B&B management part time, etc. I wanted to know how things were going at Study Butte and Terlingua now that all the hotels, motels, RV parks, campgrounds, and B&Bs have been ordered to vacate. Indeed, even Big Bend National Park previously closed all their buildings except latrines, but have now closed all of the camping facilities too.

But to get to the point she was laughing about the toilet paper situation. Her advice for if you run out: cut up those old T shirts or socks you don't wear anymore, or go take a shower. :clap

Attachments

• TPsocks.jpg
    TPsocks.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
You missed my point.

I just added context on the challenge we face and what happened in the past. Yes, we survived the polio outbreaks, but that was a 40-yr process. Even the vaccine was 3-yrs after the outbreak of the early 50's.

We're doing what we have to do, but it's going to take a while.

A lot of funerals services around here are being postponed.

PGlaves, I understand your thoughts on the guarantee but we just spoke with them right before I wrote here and they have no intention of shutting down. I also heard the issues in Brewster county yesterday about closing everything. I am not going to hijack this thread but closing everything presents issue for those of us who are full time RVers.
If we don't flatten the curve of Covid-19 infections by following the recommendations or in certain areas, mandates, to enforce social distancing then we are putting ourselves first and endangering others. These closures are a response to people ignoring the recommendations that health professionals know will help us. It's painful but pain and inconvenience now means saved lives in a matter of weeks. This isn't a hypothetical, all or part of 6 first world industrial countries with good modern medical care have recent history with trying to contain this pandemic and losing thousands of lives. The US is 12 weeks behind as it is.

Her advice for if you run out: cut up those old T shirts or socks you don't wear anymore, or go take a shower. :clap

Paul,

This is an excellent point which future Rally organizers should consider. That big latex logo on the front of the front or back of the rally T-shirt is going to make a really poor renewable TP substitute. Less latex, better TP potential. Lets do our part.

Beside wasting this crisis we should more intelligently be learning. Don't waste learning opportunity.

When a bat biting a chicken brings down the entire world's economy there are some things that need be attended. One, wouldn't take much to monitor every passenger on every international flight. At the least comparing the cost to what we now face. Two, number crunchers, economists and epidemiologists at some point need to sit together and contemplate. Three, as we move forward, listening is key. Can't analyze anything, even the most insignificant problem without actively observing, listening, you know, what everybody knows, but refuses to do. Like when you and yer partner, yer significant other face problems. There are no dumb ideas.

When yesterday I saw the under sixty crowd run into Wally mart before seven, we see number four. It was for the elderly to get a few things, before eight thirty, because, just because. At that point we see a damn panic, not a pandemic. There were some infirm older people, and they were being abused by this. IMHO. Just saying. There wasn't even a sign on the door much less an ID check. Go figure. Coffee time gang.

I forgot to add this bit, if you weren't afraid before consider this: the virus can remain airborne for up to 3 hours, it can live on surfaces for up to 3 days!

We're considering things like mail where we will be wearing gloves and leaving the mail outside for a few days.

The National Institute of Health has an article on their web site dated 3/17/2020 which says (I'm summarizing) that SARS-CoV-2 which causes COVID-19 is *detectable*

- in aerosols for up to 3 hours
- on copper up to 4 hours
- on cardboard up to 24 hours, and
- on plastic and stainless steel up to 2 or 3 days

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...hours-surfaces

Everyone has had plenty of time to stock up on a couple weeks of food.
Since the grocery stores will stay open our local news is asking to only buy a weeks worth of food at one time.
We don't want the food aisles to look like the TP aisle.

Everyone has had plenty of time to stock up on a couple weeks of food.
Since the grocery stores will stay open our local news is asking to only buy a weeks worth of food at one time.
We don't want the food aisles to look like the TP aisle.

Good advice, maybe, but with a factor to think about. I am 75 years old with COPD, but the concern applies to everybody. If I go to the grocery store every week instead of, for example, every two weeks I double my opportunity to come in contact with the virus. Where we live "normal" shopping would be to go to Alpine maybe every couple of weeks.

As it now stands we don't intend to leave our property except for emergencies or truly essential purposes. And we could easily stay here for 6 or 8 weeks with no anticipated need to leave. When we run out of eggs, I'll just eat Spam for breakfast. :)

Good advice, maybe, but with a factor to think about. I am 75 years old with COPD, but the concern applies to everybody. If I go to the grocery store every week instead of, for example, every two weeks I double my opportunity to come in contact with the virus. Where we live "normal" shopping would be to go to Alpine maybe every couple of weeks.

As it now stands we don't intend to leave our property except for emergencies or truly essential purposes. And we could easily stay here for 6 or 8 weeks with no anticipated need to leave. When we run out of eggs, I'll just eat Spam for breakfast. :)

Fried Spam?? Damn, I love that stuff! :dance

Yes I know with your health and location this does not apply to you.
I'm talking about the average person that lives with a grocery store near by.

Even in good conditions when someone has more than 100 to 150 mile round trip to the store it does not make sense to go every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back