• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just finished an 1.100 mile ride that took us from MT to ID, OR and WA. Mask use is much more prevelant in OR and WA than we noticed in ID and MT. We did not wear masks and encountered no scorn in any of the states. We asked if we should wear a mask the few times we went in a place. Washington's policy is bazaar. You must wear a mask into any establishment unless you have a medical condition that prohibits doing so. If you are not wearing a mask, then the business personal are to assume you have a medical condition. They are prohibited from questioning anyone about their medical condition. So we were told at two establishments.

Last edited:
They are prohibited from questioning anyone about their medical condition. So we were told at two establishments.

The possible medical issue thing is the same in PA, so businesses typically don't enforce a mask policy beyond posting signs. My wife monitors a few local social media sites which exchange info on the safety protocols and enforcement at various businesses. If the business or the customers aren't following prudent procedures, we don't go there.

Locally, our next big issue is going to be the introduction of 45000 new residents with the start of classes at Penn State and the 100,000-plus weekend visitors for football games. That's a big change in population for a county with 160,000 residents. I can understand wanting to restart classes. However, the football restart is folly, bordering on the criminal in my opinion.

From USA Today-Ivy League cancels sports for this fall in what could be barometer for college football amid COVID-19
Sounds like a good idea.
OM

From USA Today-Ivy League cancels sports for this fall in what could be barometer for college football amid COVID-19
Sounds like a good idea.
OM

Ivy league football is a sport and the Ivy League schools have a sense of self-worth beyond the sports page. Class 1, or whatever they call it, football is pure business based on indentured labor.

CNN reports that coronavirus cases now top 3 million in the US. That is up a million in 28 days.
If the report is at least half accurate 💩
I never considered what losing a whole year would be like. Guess we are all going to find out.
OM

A whole year lost is really what it's shaping up to be. My employer is trying to slowly bring folks back into the office. I'm not going back any time soon. What they're proposing is in no way allowing me and my team to be more productive than we are at home. We're doing fine where we are, thank you very much. KCCO as Winston said.

It sounds like many cities and even states are considering or have already issued "mandatory mask" initiatives. Whatever. How hard is it to put on a mask to go to a retail business for an hour or so? No big deal to my wife and I.

A whole year lost is really what it's shaping up to be. My employer is trying to slowly bring folks back into the office. I'm not going back any time soon. What they're proposing is in no way allowing me and my team to be more productive than we are at home. We're doing fine where we are, thank you very much. KCCO as Winston said.

It sounds like many cities and even states are considering or have already issued "mandatory mask" initiatives. Whatever. How hard is it to put on a mask to go to a retail business for an hour or so? No big deal to my wife and I.

My wife is still working and she's of the same opinion. That "take-away" for business should be........... Why build or rent space for something the employees can do at home?

CNN reports that coronavirus cases now top 3 million in the US. That is up a million in 28 days.
If the report is at least half accurate 💩
I never considered what losing a whole year would be like. Guess we are all going to find out.
OM

It's easy to consider it a year lost, but I'm trying to see what else I can do that I like but haven't been because of all the things I do which have been cancelled. I'm getting more junk around the house cleaned up. I've done more local day-ride exploration than in years and have rediscovered some excellent roads. I'm a revival of my photography after an number of years hiatus. My temp and focus has changed, and overall I've discovered, or rediscovered some very cool things. Make lemonade.

It's easy to consider it a year lost, but I'm trying to see what else I can do that I like but haven't been because of all the things I do which have been cancelled. I'm getting more junk around the house cleaned up. I've done more local day-ride exploration than in years and have rediscovered some excellent roads. I'm a revival of my photography after an number of years hiatus. My temp and focus has changed, and overall I've discovered, or rediscovered some very cool things. Make lemonade.

Just curious.......Film or Digital?

I think we all need LARGE lemonade pitchers this year.:rolleyes

Just curious.......Film or Digital?

Digital. I have been an Olympus fan since the days of the OM-1/2/4 etc. and still have two bodies and bunch of lenses. So, when I got into digital I went with Olympus, and now have a couple of their E-M1 bodies and an EM5 body and assorted lenses. I also have some of their smaller cameras included a new TG-6 Tough camera which is a perfect bike camera. Waterproof to 50 feet, crush resistant to 220lbs, freezeproof to 14F, 4K video, remote control with a phone app, and all kinds of other trick technology. You can shoot stills, movies, and even mount is on the bike to use like a GoPro. Oh the other hand, film is making a something of a resurgence, I think as a part of a much larger retro movement that includes cassette tapes, vinyl albums, mechanical wrist watches, and manual typewriters. Some of the Millennials are really big into these things, including film cameras. Everything old is new again.

A year lost?

I think this could be the first year lost, while we live with COVID-19 for years.

I see lots of people not wearing masks in stores where it is mandatory (Texas). The max day of death in Texas had been 56 in one day back in May. Last week had a peak day of 57. This week, Tuesday was 60 and Wednesday saw 98 dead Texans. I fear this is going to be a lot worse before we see better days.

We (South Dakota) or at least the 50 biggest Sturgis Rally Businesses are going to hoist the 80th Sturgis rally.

From the "Sturgis.com" website:

Because the City of Sturgis does not own the rally and the state has shown no inclination to tell people they cannot come, multiple venues, campgrounds and businesses are moving forward. These Black Hills venues and attractions will continue hosting the 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in 2020 regardless of whether the City of Sturgis votes to promote the rally within the city limits.

"It's what Governor Kristi Noem said early on: 'The government's role is not to run people's lives, but to give them information by which they can make informed decisions,' " said Sturgis Buffalo Chip CEO and President Rod Woodruff. "Beyond that, it's a personal responsibility. We have a very conscientious political structure here in South Dakota, and that's because of the people we have here. They're respectful of people's civil rights and their right to freedom. We're here every year to celebrate that freedom."

When Governor Noem announced a July 3rd fireworks celebration at Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills, she was quoted as saying, "If you're sick stay home, If you're the vulnerable population and you're worried about the virus, then you should stay home. People will have all the information they need to know exactly what it will look like out there at Mt. Rushmore so that they can make a decision whether or not they should attend this year."

The same attitude should prevail regarding the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Those who do not feel safe coming to the Sturgis Rally should not come.

"The government's role is not to run people's lives, but to give them information by which they can make informed decisions," said Sturgis Buffalo Chip CEO and President Rod Woodruff. "Beyond that, it's a personal responsibility."

- Rod Woodruff
Safety

The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly changed the lives of everyone, but much has been learned since the virus was first detected. The public now has access to information on how to best protect themselves and how to live with the virus. Social distancing, wearing a mask, sanitation practices and self-quarantining when symptomatic are all steps the public and businesses can take.

Safety is still on people's minds, but many are starting to realize they can't hide forever. Department of Health and CDC guidelines are keeping people more informed on how to stay safe while being able to live their lives, and many private businesses are doing their part to help their customers be better protected.

Many area businesses and campgrounds have already put in place new guidelines and safeguards to combat the potential spread of COVID-19. Measures at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip will include increasing sanitation practices, implementing social distancing measures, providing hand sanitizer throughout the campground and encouraging use of masks.

"Our 600 acres allow for people to spread out more than six feet if they want," said Woodruff. "Folks can choose whether they want to go to shows or just go riding all day."

I just can't wait to watch the folks that don't wear helmets or in most cases any other protective gear save for a tank top coordinated "doo-rag" add a color-coordinated mask to their ensembles.

Based upon campground reservations/Motel reservations/Home rentals etc they are talking 250-350,000 attendees. Smaller than normal but certainly enough to spread some disease.

We (South Dakota) or at least the 50 biggest Sturgis Rally Businesses are going to hoist the 80th Sturgis rally.

From the "Sturgis.com" website:

Because the City of Sturgis does not own the rally and the state has shown no inclination to tell people they cannot come, multiple venues, campgrounds and businesses are moving forward. These Black Hills venues and attractions will continue hosting the 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in 2020 regardless of whether the City of Sturgis votes to promote the rally within the city limits.

"It's what Governor Kristi Noem said early on: 'The government's role is not to run people's lives, but to give them information by which they can make informed decisions,' " said Sturgis Buffalo Chip CEO and President Rod Woodruff. "Beyond that, it's a personal responsibility. We have a very conscientious political structure here in South Dakota, and that's because of the people we have here. They're respectful of people's civil rights and their right to freedom. We're here every year to celebrate that freedom."

When Governor Noem announced a July 3rd fireworks celebration at Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills, she was quoted as saying, "If you're sick stay home, If you're the vulnerable population and you're worried about the virus, then you should stay home. People will have all the information they need to know exactly what it will look like out there at Mt. Rushmore so that they can make a decision whether or not they should attend this year."

The same attitude should prevail regarding the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Those who do not feel safe coming to the Sturgis Rally should not come.

"The government's role is not to run people's lives, but to give them information by which they can make informed decisions," said Sturgis Buffalo Chip CEO and President Rod Woodruff. "Beyond that, it's a personal responsibility."

- Rod Woodruff
Safety

The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly changed the lives of everyone, but much has been learned since the virus was first detected. The public now has access to information on how to best protect themselves and how to live with the virus. Social distancing, wearing a mask, sanitation practices and self-quarantining when symptomatic are all steps the public and businesses can take.

Safety is still on people's minds, but many are starting to realize they can't hide forever. Department of Health and CDC guidelines are keeping people more informed on how to stay safe while being able to live their lives, and many private businesses are doing their part to help their customers be better protected.

Many area businesses and campgrounds have already put in place new guidelines and safeguards to combat the potential spread of COVID-19. Measures at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip will include increasing sanitation practices, implementing social distancing measures, providing hand sanitizer throughout the campground and encouraging use of masks.

"Our 600 acres allow for people to spread out more than six feet if they want," said Woodruff. "Folks can choose whether they want to go to shows or just go riding all day."

I just can't wait to watch the folks that don't wear helmets or in most cases any other protective gear save for a tank top coordinated "doo-rag" add a color-coordinated mask to their ensembles.

Based upon campground reservations/Motel reservations/Home rentals etc they are talking 250-350,000 attendees. Smaller than normal but certainly enough to spread some disease.

With respect, this is a typical "not my problem" response so common where folks want to avoid confronting the current situation. I always thought the role of government was to provide for the safety and security of their citizens, not "to give them information by which they can make informed decisions." As far as "much has been learned" I have to add...but mostly ignored. As already pointed out, in many states including South Dakota, the virus is running rampant. I would love for someone in authority to outline for us how social distancing is going to work on Main street or in bars with a quarter of a million people coming to visit.

With respect, this is a typical "not my problem" response so common where folks want to avoid confronting the current situation. I always thought the role of government was to provide for the safety and security of their citizens, not "to give them information by which they can make informed decisions." As far as "much has been learned" I have to add...but mostly ignored. As already pointed out, in many states including South Dakota, the virus is running rampant. I would love for someone in authority to outline for us how social distancing is going to work on Main street or in bars with a quarter of a million people coming to visit.

As demonstrated by the now daily failure to reduce infections, the US plan is an obvious success.

In the words of H. L. Mencken "On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Two completely different countries with two completely different styles of politics. North Dakota is a hot spot, 60 miles from me and 10X the number of C-19 cases and deaths as my province and their population is 2/3rds that of Manitoba and we are 3.5 times larger.

Make your own judgements on the math.

Two completely different countries with two completely different styles of politics. North Dakota is a hot spot, 60 miles from me and 10X the number of C-19 cases and deaths as my province and their population is 2/3rds that of Manitoba and we are 3.5 times larger.

Make your own judgements on the math.

Well, you have socialized medicine so you're obviously doing worse.

Well, you have socialized medicine so you're obviously doing worse.

Nice. :laugh

Here's a joke which also illustrates one of the differences between us...

Q: How do you get 10 Canadians out of a swimming pool?
A: Say, "Everybody out of the pool."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back