• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I’m misinterpreting this, quite possibly the scariest thing I’ve read in decades.

Is it just me, or has this thread become an echo chamber?

It is just you. This is a real discussion of a massive fatal disaster. More people just died of Covid in one day than died on 9/11. That is real and tragic and to a considerable extent avoidable but not avoided.

It is just you. This is a real discussion of a massive fatal disaster. More people just died of Covid in one day than died on 9/11. That is real and tragic and to a considerable extent avoidable but not avoided.

Tell me about it. I watched a very, very close friend, Rick Brewer, a nurse, die from COVID on an iPhone as Rhonda, me, his wife Diane, also a nurse, with his family gathered in a circle and prayed over him (using an iPhone, because the hospital wouldn’t let even his wife, a nurse in full PPE be with him in his last moments). A mask, and full PPE couldn’t save his life (he wore it in accordance with all protocols as it was his job). I’m not sold on this: wearing a mask will save your life, and, those who don’t wear a mask should be stoned and sent to a gas chamber propaganda.

Now it’s not an echo chamber... you have one dissenting view, and yeah, it’s just me.

Last edited:
I think this has become "bigger" than the sum of its parts. I saw someone in a TS store the other day- No mask. He got into a rather beat-up pickup that I had noticed when I arrived. The pickup was covered with political stickers and "fake corona" hand scrawled pretty much all over it.
Here in Mass, the rate of infection is steadily climbing. I wonder why this individual can't be a "sport" and do (mask) the proper thing.
I find wearing a mask an entire PITA as half the time my glasses fog and I can't see well......but, wearing a mask is the Proper thing to do.
We are well into this virus thing and everyone should know what is the proper thing to do. It shouldn't have to be legislated, policed or even constantly reminded..... I received a reverse 911 call at 9:30PM last night with a reminder from the state to take the necessary precautions to help stop the spread.
Let's hope for a safe, effective vaccine in the near future so we can get past this....and not lose another year of doing what we used to do.
OM

The virus cannot reproduce without a host. Every time someone is infected the virus reproduces. Every time the virus reproduces there is the chance that it will mutate and the mutation may be more or less virulent and more or less deadly. Those that don't take precautions and permit the virus to propagate and reproduce increase the probability that an even more deadly mutation will emerge.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Unless I’m misinterpreting this, quite possibly the scariest thing I’ve read in decades.

Is it just me, or has this thread become an echo chamber?

To a degree it has. I do not doubt this is a very serious pandemic and I am taking precautions. I wear a mask, I avoid gatherings, wash my hands raw and carefully select who I am around for any length of time. However I do not take at face value all that we hear from our leadership; medical or political. I think questioning is good and appropriate. It is not always received well here by some.

To a degree it has. I do not doubt this is a very serious pandemic and I am taking precautions. I wear a mask, I avoid gatherings, wash my hands raw and carefully select who I am around for any length of time. However I do not take at face value all that we hear from our leadership; medical or political. I think questioning is good and appropriate. It is not always received well here by some.

I’m OCD, cleaning and disinfecting was totally my thing way before it was popular. I wear a mask at work, (I’m essential) have hand sanitizer on tap... but as a former NBC officer, I have no illusions as to the limitations of my protocols against an invisible biological enemy. What I do know is that I can not and will not sacrifice my family, or my club on the alter of fear.

The virus cannot reproduce without a host. Every time someone is infected the virus reproduces. Every time the virus reproduces there is the chance that it will mutate and the mutation may be more or less virulent and more or less deadly. Those that don't take precautions and permit the virus to propagate and reproduce increase the probability that an even more deadly mutation will emerge.

Data shows that the virus can be transferred on material that can host it for a few hours. Most of this post is otherwise reality. It can mutate as seen in the mink cull.

Cash is almost verbotten in Canada and plastic cards are usually sanitized before handling.

My last speeding ticket, the LEO asked for the usual stuff and I showed it to him and he took a picture with his phone. He was very good giving me yet another ticket because he put it on my windshield so I could grab some sanitizer.

Manitoba was at 18% positivity rate compared to +40% two weeks ago. We are losing 1 in 49, that's 1(one) in 49(forty-nine) dying. Every person I know has now had a Covid touch of some kind and some have lost their grandparents, parents, spouse, and maybe a child.

For my neighbours south of me, take care of yourself first, make sure your family is following circuit breaker protocols.

Omega Man;1229515 Let's hope for a safe said:
And when we do have a vaccine, all those self-nominated microbiologists and constitutional experts will probably mutate into immunologists.

Data shows that the virus can be transferred on material that can host it for a few hours. Most of this post is otherwise reality. It can mutate as seen in the mink cull.

Cash is almost verbotten in Canada and plastic cards are usually sanitized before handling.

My last speeding ticket, the LEO asked for the usual stuff and I showed it to him and he took a picture with his phone. He was very good giving me yet another ticket because he put it on my windshield so I could grab some sanitizer.

Manitoba was at 18% positivity rate compared to +40% two weeks ago. We are losing 1 in 49, that's 1(one) in 49(forty-nine) dying. Every person I know has now had a Covid touch of some kind and some have lost their grandparents, parents, spouse, and maybe a child.

For my neighbours south of me, take care of yourself first, make sure your family is following circuit breaker protocols.

You have thoroughly confused reproduction with transmission. They are not the same thing. A virus may exist on a surface for a period of time but it cannot multiply. A virus has no independent reproductive capacity. A virus must invade a living cell to multiply.

You have thoroughly confused reproduction with transmission. They are not the same thing. A virus may exist on a surface for a period of time but it cannot multiply. A virus has no independent reproductive capacity. A virus must invade a living cell to multiply.

I am confused. Where in my comments did I say it can multiply on a surface? It's been proven that Covid-19 can be transmitted on things like cash, credit cards and door handles. My comment about mutation was related to the mink cull in Denmark.

My comments about mutation mirrored your comments about mutation. For those unaware, 17 million mink were culled to prevent the Covid-19 mutation from spreading.

Latest data is showing that the trigger on the cull was first: illegal. Second: Data on transmission and mutation to mink was not thoroughly decided.

Splitting hairs about comments won't help this situation. What are you doing to protect your loved ones, neighbours or strangers?

PM me and I will share a routine that is inconvenient, polite, follows the rules and prevents me and my company to earn the income expected.

I thought DY was referring to the farm-raised mink that was found to have contracted the virus and therefore “culled” before a possible new strain from the newly infected mink “escaped”.
OM

I am confused. Where in my comments did I say it can multiply on a surface? It's been proven that Covid-19 can be transmitted on things like cash, credit cards and door handles. My comment about mutation was related to the mink cull in Denmark.

My comments about mutation mirrored your comments about mutation. For those unaware, 17 million mink were culled to prevent the Covid-19 mutation from spreading.

Latest data is showing that the trigger on the cull was first: illegal. Second: Data on transmission and mutation to mink was not thoroughly decided.

Splitting hairs about comments won't help this situation. What are you doing to protect your loved ones, neighbours or strangers?

PM me and I will share a routine that is inconvenient, polite, follows the rules and prevents me and my company to earn the income expected.
A surface does not host. You said a surface can host. This is not splitting hairs.

I read it as the virus could be on a surface.
OM
I used "host" correctly in the context of viral reproduction. He quoted my post and reused the word. His statement was incorrect. No one should be left thinking that a virus can reproduce on a surface.

I used "host" correctly in the context of viral reproduction. He quoted my post and reused the word. His statement was incorrect. No one should be left thinking that a virus can reproduce on a surface.

I don't know anybody that does :hungover
OM

I'm looking forward to the next comment which doesn't require that I evaluate the reproductive qualities of Covid-19. :D

I'm looking forward to the next comment which doesn't require that I evaluate the reproductive qualities of Covid-19. :D
Well it started as the observation that not limiting the transmission of the virus increases the probability that it mutates into something worse. This is exactly what happened with the "Spanish" flu and we all know how that turned out.

This is exactly what happened with the "Spanish" flu and we all know how that turned out.

Badly.

And this will turn out the same if some government leaders keep ignoring the science and some courts keep ruling that its someone's (or anyone's) right to conduct superspreader events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back