Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    And then they get on every committee they can, and try to turn the place into where they came from.
    Unfortunately, too often true.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Meh.
    Everyone wants growth and economic development until they realize that change comes as part of the package, then the lamentations and complaints begin. The generation complaining now are the same people that were rolling eyes at their elders back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s when those elders decried change. Change is the only thing constant, and the more things change, the more they stay the same in some respects. Sometimes in clubs, even.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Meh.
    Everyone wants growth and economic development until they realize that change comes as part of the package, then the lamentations and complaints begin. The generation complaining now are the same people that were rolling eyes at their elders back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s when those elders decried change. Change is the only thing constant, and the more things change, the more they stay the same in some respects. Sometimes in clubs, even.

Best,
    DeVern
    Maybe for some people, but I was never in support of the growth in my area. It's not benefited me in any way that offsets the greatly reduced the quality of life experience here. To say that change is the only constant thing begs the question of the real negatives which often accompany it. Every current big city ghetto or high crime area was once a livable neighborhood.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Meh.

Best,
    DeVern
    Sitting on a Borough Council teaches you many lessons. No growth is great as long as you can 1) reduce eliminate services (i.e., Police, Fire, 2) Defer maintenance (roads, sewar, water), 3) Find people that will work for no annual salary or health insurance. Of course, by the time you get to council, all the easy solutions have been taken, leaving the town with crumbling infrastructure, and an aged, bare-bones staff.

Fun. Just pure simple fun.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    We are experiencing a lot of tear-downs when buyers find a “location” they like. When I ask “why you tearing that house down”, the response is “how could we live like that”?
    I remember the house some of these buyers grew up in
    OM
    We could only dream of that happening in my little town. New construction means increased Real Estate taxes and new residents with incomes to support local brick and mortar businesses. No new construction means stagnant RE taxes, flat or dropping income taxes and declining market for local brick and mortar businesses.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Maybe for some people, but I was never in support of the growth in my area. It's not benefited me in any way that offsets the greatly reduced the quality of life experience here. To say that change is the only constant thing begs the question of the real negatives which often accompany it. Every current big city ghetto or high crime area was once a livable neighborhood.
    Most of the negatives come from not properly planning for growth and managing growth. Absent growth and the economic vitality it brings, any area will eventually decline to an undesirable state. So, the complaining should really be directed to elected officials with the insistence they do that planning and management.

I’ve seen the no-growth model played out in my old SD hometown. Population has remained flat, the Main Street where a small cabal of 20 or so people tightly retained control of the real estate and business opportunities has largely been converted to office space and apartments as retail fled or evaporated , enrollment at the local university has remained flat, and young people seeking employment and opportunity leave the area in droves. So I guess they’ve maintained their “quality of life”, but at significant lost-opportunity cost. It’s depressing to go back there and I likely won’t be doing so since all our parents are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    So, after tossing out a number from memory I looked at my property valuation records and from 2012 (when the local housing market bottomed out after the bubble burst in 2008) to 2020 (12 years) my house has appreciated 236% - a bit more than the 50% I stated earlier.
    That will be a nice direct benefit when you sell and move away from all that growth, or when your heirs inherit

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

That will be a nice direct benefit when you sell and move away from all that growth, or when your heirs inherit

Best,
    DeVern
    As my father said to me............Sell the farm when IBM comes to town. He waited. I'm still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    Canada has provinces with fewer cases than the White House!
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...19/3661758001/
    COVID CAN US.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RadioFlyer; 10-16-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    Canada has provinces with fewer cases than the White House!
    Yes the Atlantic provinces were very lightly hit and the premiers quickly closed off the whole area. So was Manitoba, at first, but the cases there have recently rebounded.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Yes the Atlantic provinces were very lightly hit and the premiers quickly closed off the whole area. So was Manitoba, at first, but the cases there have recently rebounded.
    Manitoba hit a test positivity rate of 5.8% today, almost a 4% increase since the beginning of October. If one were to be thankful, the major age group contributing to those numbers are the 18-29 year olds.

Canada hit 2,354 cases today, the US hit 65,327 cases. If stats hold true, if Canada followed the US model, our daily rate should exceed 6,500 cases today.

Manitoba is about to lock down all public gathering places, masks are mandatory in all public places, hand sanitizing upon entry of any public place is mandatory and of course, maintaining social distancing.

That old joke, the US can go to the moon but can't go to Canada got very significant as our border is closed to the US indefinitely now.

Guess who wants that wall discussion to come back?
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

And this surprises - nobody!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    And this surprises - nobody!
    Yes, but if you don't review the event and the aftermath, you'll have people and pols thinking it was all roses.

As is, it's just something they'll ignore as they move on to some other insightful decision.....

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    It seems that "kicking" the Sturgis attendees without "kicking" all the other groups that have scheduled events is perhaps more Harley Bashing?

Weddings, churches, retirement homes, colleges and random parties have all contributed to the spread of the virus. Event the Whickked Schmaart people that attended the Biogen conference in Boston didn't help-

Biogen conference likely led to 20,000 COVID-19 cases in Boston area, researchers say
    A new study estimates the Biogen conference held at Boston’s Marriott Long Wharf hotel in February played a far greater role in spreading the coronavirus than previously thought.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...searchers-say/

If kicking and blaming is to be done, why not be fair about it?

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Finally Some Actually Useful Information

Hormel is offering a bacon-scented face mask....

Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Never have more ambition than adhesion.