• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Virus has sure changed a lot of operations. The college’s that used to look down their noses and scoff at “online college courses” are now touting the courses. :deal
OM

It is not truly the on-line vs. traditional dichotomy that makes life interesting. It is the difference between true colleges and universities vs. the historic on-line for profit diploma mills with poor graduation rates and horrible job placement rates. Or the ones called university that actually aren't one. I could break a rule and get political, but I won't. :)

Last edited:
It’s different-

“UMass Boston will not bring its students back to the Columbia Point campus in the fall and will instead continue on with the remote teaching and learning platform that it launched after students left campus in March due to the COVID-19”.

OM

It’s different-

“UMass Boston will not bring its students back to the Columbia Point campus in the fall and will instead continue on with the remote teaching and learning platform that it launched after students left campus in March due to the COVID-19”.

OM

They really have no choice, do they? I have used on-line meetings an been a part of virtual work groups for years, and for many people these can be effective tools. But even at their best, it's better to have face-to-face meetings, at least to start of relationships and periodically to reinforce them. There is just to much non-verbal communication which is lost or diminished when we are not physically together. So, I expect that once this virus is sufficiently mitigated, traditionally collages and universities will go back to in-person education.

At this moment, life is not its historic "normal." Efforts to try to make it normal often hurt rather than help. I don't like those facts. I actually hate those facts. But in my very own personal case trying to act like it is the old normal would be a suicide mission. I don't like that fact either. I could study a Spanish language course on line much better than an applied chemistry or biology course. Labs matter. So like almost everything else right now education will in some ways suffer.

And my heart truly goes out to both the students and the parents at those locations where opening public schools is further delayed - as many re-openings will be whether we like it or not.

Business or Education.......things will change

I think the pandemic will be a learning experience that hastens several changes that have been underway for years. Much like the brick and mortar retail trade, the restaurant trade has been at saturation levels and facing declining profits. The pandemic just drives home that point. Having said that, I have no clue what will fill the retail and restaurant spaces in towns of all sizes or the pretty much dead mall.

As for businesses, I think many have discovered the co-location of employees and a good deal of office space isn't necessary.

K-12 education is facing the true challenge of how to deliver a critical service. Higher education, on the other hand, is struggling with how to preserve their current price level. On-line classes are fine for several college courses, but students want lower tuition for classes that don't require a classroom building and the associated staff. This is a big change, but hopefully, one that will produce a more cost-effective form of higher education.

I work at a university in East Texas (I'm staff, not faculty). We are currently planning to have new freshman attend a mass orientation in mid-August. In-person classes will resume the end of August.

The school is working on proper distancing, extra cleaning, etc.

I'm not voicing an opinion on the reopening; just stating facts.

I work at a university in East Texas (I'm staff, not faculty). We are currently planning to have new freshman attend a mass orientation in mid-August. In-person classes will resume the end of August.

The school is working on proper distancing, extra cleaning, etc.

I'm not voicing an opinion on the reopening; just stating facts.

Yep, Penn State has announced plans for in-person classes but on a schedule that holds classes on Labor Day and ends on Thanksgiving to, hopefully, keep the students from traveling on the weekends:whistle. IIRC, the final weeks of Fall semester and Final Exams will be on-line with no return to campus. The on-campus hotel will be converted to a quarantine facility.

I haven't heard the plan for the 100,000-plus disease vectors that attend the football games. Athletic departments are fairly autonomous business units in major collegiate sports.

Dr. Fauci was speaking today (6/23/2020) regarding both a treatment (I think) and a vaccine for Covid-19, possibly by the end of 2020. If those can be brought into wide use within a couple of months (for those with Public Health experience) how soon can we expect to hug grand-kids, have friends over for drinks, celebrate events together?

Oh boy! Vaccine? Carrier for the vaccine? Glass Bottles? 350 million doses, or twice that in the US. Ten or more billion doses world wide? Needles? Nurses? 1 or 2 doses? Which vaccine; the fast one or the best one? Good luck my many friends. I just hope that at 75 with COPD I don't die before they figure this out.

Oh boy! Vaccine? Carrier for the vaccine? Glass Bottles? 350 million doses, or twice that in the US. Ten or more billion doses world wide? Needles? Nurses? 1 or 2 doses? Which vaccine; the fast one or the best one? Good luck my many friends. I just hope that at 75 with COPD I don't die before they figure this out.

It's sad that all this testing is scaring you older folks........

BTW - My wife is mid-50's and asthmatic (don't leave the house without an inhaler). So, it's not just an issue of age. But, living near Penn State, which is quite similar to living near VA Tech, Iowa State, or several other "out in the country" land grant schools, the stark divide in America is evident. Shop at a grocery store frequented by the University faculty and you'll find masks, etc. Shop at a store 20-miles out of town, you'll see no masks and people will ridicule the ones with a mask. Even in the communities that had 25% death rates at the local rest home. But, they did have a big community prayer vigil at the rest home, which got nice copy in the local paper.

I hope the vaccine is found as quickly as possible, but I fear a number of places will be remembered for how they responded.

Billions and Billions

Dr. Fauci was speaking today (6/23/2020) regarding both a treatment (I think) and a vaccine for Covid-19, possibly by the end of 2020. If those can be brought into wide use within a couple of months (for those with Public Health experience) how soon can we expect to hug grand-kids, have friends over for drinks, celebrate events together?

It will be interesting to see who is at the front of the line when a vaccine or vaccines become available. The ongoing effort to eradicate polio is down to two countries so they hit those locations hard and countries that recently came off the list get vaccine attention. With a rather small target audience compared with covid-19 they administered 350 million vaccines last year. So, we have to be talking (apologies to Dr Carl Sagen) Billion and Billions of vaccines to do the world.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

It will be interesting to see who is at the front of the line when a vaccine or vaccines become available. The ongoing effort to eradicate polio is down to two countries so they hit those locations hard and countries that recently came off the list get vaccine attention. With a rather small target audience compared with covid-19 they administered 350 million vaccines last year. So, we have to be talking (apologies to Dr Carl Sagen) Billion and Billions of vaccines to do the world.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

With the U.S response to COVID (or, should I say lack of response) statistics suggest we may be the most needy third world country and should get the vaccine first:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1043366/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-cases-worldwide-by-country/

I had a chance to speak with someone in their mid-40’s that came down with the virus 🦠
They survived but let me know it kicked the crap out of them for 3 weeks.
OM

So much for summer heat helping eradicate the virus.
I wonder if the video of the guy at the Michigan boat party claiming “it was his right” to go without a mask...... and “raft up” with a few hundred of his friends can be viewed by those made sick at the event.
Mask up or stay well spaced for everyone’s safety.
Sure it’s a pain in the A$$, not being as safe as you can be isn’t working.
Mask 😷
OM

I was tested today.
I don't have any symptoms but Iowa is pushing to have everyone test to make sure asymptomatic people are not out and about.
It took very little time to call in for a time, drive 2 miles to the hospital and do the test.
The test is not uncomfortable and it's free.
If I test negative, then develop symptoms later I can get tested again.

No new deaths reported yesterday here in Mass. First day since March. Still more cases though.
I’m concerned that all you in the areas that reported a “low” infection rate are going to see what all this was about.
OM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back