Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Meaning? I understand the numbers but not what they mean for me in my house in a rural county with zero confirmed cases, but also zero tests. Am I as likely to die in a head-on going to the store as I am if the clerk sneezes in my face? Is this a lesser or greater risk as dying in Nagasaki in 1945?

And when, other than Hurricane Katrina or 9/11 have we overwhelmed hospitals like we are doing now. Somehow the statistics fail to tell the truth here.
    Paul,

How I view it is.........it's the number of deaths in a period of time. In the case of Italy, they achieved the US per capita number of influenza/pneumonia deaths in a period of 36~37 days. So, that's a 10X increase in demand on health care resources for that period. Do you think your "local" hospital could handle a 10X work load for a one to month period? I know my local hospital can barely handle the ER case load during a warm fall or spring weekend if the students are in-town.
    Last edited by 36654; 03-31-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Paul,

How I view it is.........it's the number of deaths in period of time. In the case of Italy, they achieved the US per capita number of influenza/pneumonia deaths in a period of 36~37 days. So, that's a 10X increase in demand on health care resources for that period. Do you think your "local" hospital could handle a 10X work load for a one to month period? I know my local hospital can barely handle the ER case load during a warm fall or spring weekend if the students are in-town.
    We live in a three county area with a largely rural population of just over 18,000 people. There is one local hospital, 25 beds, 2 respirators. My local hospital couldn't handle a 10x workload for 15 minutes, let alone a month. This is the reality in rural Texas at least where the public disinvestment in health care has been extreme. It is the state with the largest percentage of people without health insurance, that rejected Medicaid expansion, where going to the emergency room can be a way of life because private clinics will turn people away due to no money and by state law the subsidized clinics only need to serve people whose income lies below 20% of the Federal poverty line. Covid 19 will be grim when it hits here. I don't leave the property unless I have to. But I expect to see friends and neighbors die. It ain't the flu!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

And all the urbanites fleeing to their country houses will add even more to the rural overload.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

We live in a three county area with a largely rural population of just over 18,000 people. There is one local hospital, 25 beds, 2 respirators. My local hospital couldn't handle a 10x workload for 15 minutes, let alone a month. This is the reality in rural Texas at least where the public disinvestment in health care has been extreme. It is the state with the largest percentage of people without health insurance, that rejected Medicaid expansion, where going to the emergency room can be a way of life because private clinics will turn people away due to no money and by state law the subsidized clinics only need to serve people whose income lies below 20% of the Federal poverty line. Covid 19 will be grim when it hits here. I don't leave the property unless I have to. But I expect to see friends and neighbors die. It ain't the flu!
    Paul,

I hope your friends and neighbors make it thru, but the rest of your statement is a reality for a lot of places. I'm concerned when the virus hits the assisted care facilities in the rural areas. I doubt the underpaid staff in those places will be able to handle the load.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

One care home in Ontario has had a lot of people die and over half the residents are sick. It's pretty horrific in that small town.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Living in a rural area has some real advantages: During a deadly pandemic not so much. But the same can be said for living in a big City. It doesn't look pretty in New York or New Orleans. And, here come Chicago and Detroit and others. I am not sure there are very many places where the medical infrastructure won't be overwhelmed unless we can really "flatten the curve." But that tactic prolongs the pandemic.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Flatten the curve will prolong the pandemic but it gives the medical world a chance to cope with its existing resources.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    Flatten the curve will prolong the pandemic but it gives the medical world a chance to cope with its existing resources.

Doug
    Crisis on the installment plan. I certainly hope everyone can and does hang in there with the social distancing and staying at home long enough to make a significant difference.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Any good Spam recipes?
    om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Any good Spam recipes?
    om
    Last trip to Costco they had an eight-pack of Spam and I couldn't help myself. Had fried Spam cubes and scrambled eggs the other morning and it was great!
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

No rider's life is complete until he/she makes a visit to the Spam Museum in Austin, MN.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG-0305.jpg
    Last edited by akbeemer; 04-01-2020 at 04:46 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Last trip to Costco they had an eight-pack of Spam and I couldn't help myself. Had fried Spam cubes and scrambled eggs the other morning and it was great!
    When I was 14 years old I bought a 49cc Sears & Roebuck moped, built by Puch in Austria. My good friend Buzz and I would ride that thing the 23.3 miles, two-up, to Turtle River State Park to camp. The moped had wire baskets for panniers and a little pillow on a flat rack to be a passenger seat. Buzz had to hold our two sleeping bags because there was no other place to put them. It would go 30 mph even two-up so in about an hour we could be at the park, counting time for a smoke break while the engine cooled down.

We enjoyed a bit more freedom then than a lot of kids do now, which is really kind of sad.

In the late 1950s there were no campgrounds in the park but camping was allowed. There were some favored spots with pre-used fire rings, and sites by the creek (Turtle River) though. We used a metal cup from a military canteen and a small metal rack ands cans of Sterno to cook. Mostly what we ate we ate cold. Our staples were cans of PorkNBeans, Kipper Snacks, Sardines, Tuna, and Spam.

If one were to peek at my emergency supply of food today they would find, among other things PorkNBeans, Kipper Snacks, Sardines, Tuna, and Spam. Spam comes in several flavors now too you know.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-01-2020 at 02:56 PM.

RK Ryder
    We enjoyed a bit more freedom then than a lot of kids do now, which is really kind of sad.
    So true.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Any good Spam recipes?
    om
    Grind it in a meat grinder, I use the old school clamp to the counter kind. Add pickles and mayonnaise and you have ham salad. And don't forget to have a can of Brown bread handy with those beans.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

We had/have sweet Lebanon Bologna in PA, https://www.seltzerslebanon.com/, so SPAM wasn't all that special to me. Of course, if you wanted something with more tang.....there was souse (headcheese).

But, who could beat the oily, salty goodness of Kippered Snacks? Every paycheck Friday (every two weeks), the trip to the A&P included a few cans. That was Dad's paycheck celebration.

What I can't stand from those days, is Slim Jims or the gas station/convenience store Beef Jerky. The mere smell of that stuff can make me wretch. A stomach full of that stuff and no water for several hours leaves a lasting impression on your body and mind.