Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Exclamation Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Hopefully we can keep this on track and help each other out.

I can start with-

It seems that there is a shortage of toilet paper. It also seems that it hasnít been brought up (much) that many donít know how or where the poop goes. Whether you are on a septic system or public sewer, itís good to keep from putting toilet paper substitutes in the toilet.
    Even if a ďPersonal WipeĒ states that it is flushable, itís really not a good idea. This is especially important if your living quarters has a sewage lift pump or station.
    No one needs a poopie backup on top of all we have going on.

Good luck everyone.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post

I can start with-

It seems that there is a shortage of toilet paper. It also seems that it hasnít been brought up (much) that many donít know how or where the poop goes. Whether you are on a septic system or public sewer, itís good to keep from putting toilet paper substitutes in the toilet.
    Even if a ďPersonal WipeĒ states that it is flushable, itís really not a good idea. This is especially important if your living quarters has a sewage lift pump or station.

Good luck everyone.

OM
    Corn Cobbs? What's the limit?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    So much for keeping the thread on track
    om
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

We're in self isolation due to my missus having asthma, they are saying maybe 12 weeks. So far we only have 4 confirmed and 6 presumptive cases. The province has been under health advisory for social distancing for a week or more. 4 days ago all bars and restaurants were closed. We are an island which will serve to help us.

Canada had been trying to get ahead as fast as it can in response to the world view and so far seems to be holding fairly well. The countries who did not realize the dangers early enough are paying the price, look at Spain and Italy where 800 people died in a single day. The government has stepped up assistance programs across the board basically paying people to stay home and not be out spreading the virus. Good thing as who knows when work will be calling me again between corona and the plummet in oil prices.

From the little I've heard the US has been very slow to get on board in many states, you should all be very concerned because it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better down there.

We have enough food to last 3 months and between homebrew, beer in the fridge and my cellar I can last the rest of the year easy.

You all stay safe out there, it's going to be a long ride!
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Hammer and Dance

This is the best analytical piece I've read this week. It is long and better read on something bigger than a smartphone.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
    "Solů el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM

So much for keeping the thread on track
    om
    It made it a whole 10 minutes, no problem....

Jerry
    Best Regards,
    Jerry Trepanier
    Augusta, MI
    2006 ST1300, 2010 R1200RT

#2...done...for now...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

Nice 👍
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    #2...done...for now...
    So glad for you. We're heading in the right direction!
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Time to close the thread. Thanks 36654! 8*)
    Chuck Manley
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

I can start with-

Good luck everyone.

OM
    there is no shortage of TP!!!! there is plenty in the supply chain. it is just that for some reason people have focused on it as their panic button and are hoarding it. there was no shortage before the virus, and people aren't using massively increased amounts of it, they are just hoarding it for no reason.

this whole "TP shortage" fake news is self inflicted pain. however, the internet jokes/memes about the hoarding are quite hilarious!
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

The toilet paper shortage thing started in Australia where toilet paper is imported from China. There was no reason for North Americans to have concerns.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I forgot to add this bit, if you weren't afraid before consider this: the virus can remain airborne for up to 3 hours, it can live on surfaces for up to 3 days!

We're considering things like mail where we will be wearing gloves and leaving the mail outside for a few days.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I forgot to add this bit, if you weren't afraid before consider this: the virus can remain airborne for up to 3 hours, it can live on surfaces for up to 3 days!

We're considering things like mail where we will be wearing gloves and leaving the mail outside for a few days.
    The National Institute of Health has an article on their web site dated 3/17/2020 which says (I'm summarizing) that SARS-CoV-2 which causes COVID-19 is *detectable*

- in aerosols for up to 3 hours
    - on copper up to 4 hours
    - on cardboard up to 24 hours, and
    - on plastic and stainless steel up to 2 or 3 days

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...hours-surfaces
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & 2022 BMW MOA Rally Co-Chair
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Prior to retirement, our city utility did tabletop exercises on pandemic planned response to keep the lights on. That was a laughable exercise for many...including me as no one really had any idea the potential impacts that are becoming realities. We had gone through the Y2K perceived panic of total electric grid loss a few years prior and were skeptical. We worked on it for a few months and actually had a good game plan...on paper.

We were a little different from investor owned being another city department, which for some issues was a help coordinating with other departments such as fire and police, as well as water and sewer plant operations which are critical operations. We had a team dedicated to health care facilities and power quality as well to prioritize outage response in case of a major issue during a pandemic...tornadoes, severe T-storms, ice event and such.

Any utility hopefully has plans for personnel, commodities, and transportation. We had set up remote material sites to access transformers and hardware, folks taking all sorts of vehicles home to respond directly to outages without having to go to central facilities and more people. Stockpiling commodities isn't a bad thing if the lead time on production is slow. And, consideration that those producers are also closed or impacted will make you ponder.

Staffing was always thought number one if we had even half the staff out it was going to be a rough road. Most larger utilities are contractor dependent as well, our line staff was cut many times as the decision to contract was made. One fail point was the contract approver's missed language allowing the contractor to Storm Chase and go where the money was....our yard was completely empty of contract trucks and equipment one Monday morning after a Florida hurricane...we were caught blindsided and unable to meet a lot of new customers timelines...what a mess. I raised my blinds...saw no vehicles, called the contract manager to ask what was up and he had zero clue what I was so excited about.
    A big lesson learned and added to our planning!

My son-in-law is a FAA controller in LA area and kinda falls into essential services. There are thousands of folks who fall into these categories...wish them the best!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown