• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to a report on the news, today is the day- one year ago, the first case of the virus was reported here in the USA. :hungover
OM

I found out yesterday that what I've been battling since 1/4, and thought was a cold was Covid19. Tested positive yesterday. Fortunately I'm on the tail end of it, no longer contagious and mending without hospital time. Chest xray showed some lung damage. Just have to see how well I recover. Felt well enough yesterday to do some bike mechanicing out in the shop. Also, before I found out about the positive test, I got scheduled for my first vaccine shot on 2/2. Every day is a little better. Hope to be riding again soon.

We have only two neighbors near us. One is a young couple with two toddlers. They are about 100 yards from us and are pretty much self-contained. Our other neighbor, a good friend for decades, is 74, diabetic, and undergoing chemo. He lives about a quarter mile from us at the other end of our long gravel driveway. With chemo, his immune system is compromised to the point where even the common cold could be devastating, so we help minimize his exposure by doing his shopping, refilling his pass-through with firewood from his outside racks buried in snow, retrieving his mail and UPS deliveries, and on days he is too weak to lift firewood we stoke his stove and maintain a stack of smaller pieces near the woodstove so he can stay warm.

The thought of losing him to someone's carelessness or self-centeredness has really brought the Covid threat close to home. Knowing that there are others like him out there makes it easier for us to stay home until we have a handle on this pandemic.

We have only two neighbors near us. One is a young couple with two toddlers. They are about 100 yards from us and are pretty much self-contained. Our other neighbor, a good friend for decades, is 74, diabetic, and undergoing chemo. He lives about a quarter mile from us at the other end of our long gravel driveway. With chemo, his immune system is compromised to the point where even the common cold could be devastating, so we help minimize his exposure by doing his shopping, refilling his pass-through with firewood from his outside racks buried in snow, retrieving his mail and UPS deliveries, and on days he is too weak to lift firewood we stoke his stove and maintain a stack of smaller pieces near the woodstove so he can stay warm.

The thought of losing him to someone's carelessness or self-centeredness has really brought the Covid threat close to home. Knowing that there are others like him out there makes it easier for us to stay home until we have a handle on this pandemic.

:clap :clap :clap

om

Wife and I have our appointment for Feb 3 at 11:00AM for our first Covid-19 shot in Indiana. Daughter is health care giver, got her second shot 10 days ago. 84 year old brother and his educator spouse received their first shot this morning, in Illinois. Hope the lines keep moving. Wish I had been as anxious for my polio vaccine back in '55.

It's been interesting to see the disparity between states in their vaccine roll out strategy. I have "over 65" friends in CA and PA who have either received their shot or are scheduled to receive it soon. This lead me to review which states have opened the vaccines to the "over 65" demographic and a rough count suggests there are about 8-10 of those. All the rest (including my home state of OR) are phasing the vaccine roll-out and are currently in the phase for "teachers, child care workers, etc". As it currently stands, "over 65" is not scheduled until the week of March 7.

This could also impact the possibility of the MOA rally in June.

It's been interesting to see the disparity between states in their vaccine roll out strategy. I have "over 65" friends in CA and PA who have either received their shot or are scheduled to receive it soon. This lead me to review which states have opened the vaccines to the "over 65" demographic and a rough count suggests there are about 8-10 of those. All the rest (including my home state of OR) are phasing the vaccine roll-out and are currently in the phase for "teachers, child care workers, etc". As it currently stands, "over 65" is not scheduled until the week of March 7.

This could also impact the possibility of the MOA rally in June.

I can't speak to the ability to actually deliver these shots, but for once Idaho is more progressive then Oregon in that we have approved 65+ vaccinations starting in February.

Oregon in that we have approved 65+ vaccinations starting in February.

Same for Iowa.
I'm 65 but Debbie does not turn 65 until July.
Iowa is 46th in the nation for vaccine allotment.
I'll wait awhile to see about getting a shot so others that really need it can get it.

Phase 1B.png

Last edited:
Washington state

Yes I have the letter that I am eligible to have the shot, then when trying to make an appointment you are told all full or all out of vaccine.:cry
It is a run around! Why??? I'am in the second group. They are still not done with the first group yet.

Same for Iowa.
I'm 65 but Debbie does not turn 65 until July.
Iowa is 46th in the nation for vaccine allotment.
I'll wait awhile to see about getting a shot so others that really need it can get it.

View attachment 81950

That's my take as well. I'm OK with allocation to groups of higher need than me as we work towards control/eradication of the virus. I'm 66, but in excellent physical health so I'm happy to wait my turn.

Rumor is that Montana is turning the vaccination process over to the ranchers. They regularly vaccinate hundreds, sometimes thousands of cattle at a time. The advantages of this is that the ranchers already have the pens to hold people, the electric prods to keep the line moving and the pneumatic body holds to deal with the non-compliant. As a side benifit they can brand people to prove they have been vaccinated. Imagine how trendy having a Rocking Y brand on your chest would be. Brilliance, sheer brilliance.

Yes I have the letter that I am eligible to have the shot, then when trying to make an appointment you are told all full or all out of vaccine.:cry
It is a run around! Why??? I'am in the second group. They are still not done with the first group yet.

None of the states are getting enough vaccine. Idaho only gets about 12k does per week.

None of the states are getting enough vaccine. Idaho only gets about 12k does per week.

Iowa gets 19,500 a week now.
2nd week of February that goes up to 20,000 per week, then an additional 10,000 each week after that until March.
The article said it's possible Biden could change these numbers.

What plan? There is no plan?

Even if a state knows its allocation county health officials are in most states still left clueless. Nobody can plan beyond next week, if even beyond tomorrow.

So far my favorite was the senior from New York who got on a list, and then an appointment in Colorado, so she drove from New York to her son's in Colorado to get her first shot. She plans to stay, or go back to get her second shot. Efficiency at its finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back