• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have first hand information but it doesn’t seem like any country is doing any better than the US. I find it concerning that it also doesn’t seem that countries are not really learning much from each other.
I still see the local school’s track team running in groups, shoulder to shoulder, no masks. :hungover
OM

Check out Taiwan. About the same population of Florida. Total deaths were in the single digits when I looked last week. Yes 7! Compared to the thousands in Florida. I'm not picking on Florida. It just happens to be a population match.

Have a look at the data on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ to get an idea of how we are doing in relation to other countries. Scroll down to the tabular data and look at the population-referenced data (tests per million, cases per million, deaths per million, etc).
Clicking on a column header sorts the data by that column.

There are a lot of places doing better than we are, including our neighbors to the north. :(

Best,
DeVern

Check out Taiwan. About the same population of Florida. Total deaths were in the single digits when I looked last week. Yes 7! Compared to the thousands in Florida. I'm not picking on Florida. It just happens to be a population match.

Sorry, but that count doesn't sound credible to me. Taiwan is cheek by jowl next to China where this all started, is a major world commerce and manufacturing center, and has a high rate of poverty. "In 2018, Taiwan Taoyuan handled a record 46.5 million passengers and 2.3 billion kg of freight; making it the 11th busiest airport worldwide by international passenger traffic and 8th busiest in terms of international freight traffic." according to this link: https://samchui.com/2020/04/07/taipei-airport-hits-record-low-daily-passenger-number/#.X8pd4rNlBaQ These things don't add up for me. :confused:

Sorry, but that count doesn't sound credible to me. Taiwan is cheek by jowl next to China where this all started, is a major world commerce and manufacturing center, and has a high rate of poverty. "In 2018, Taiwan Taoyuan handled a record 46.5 million passengers and 2.3 billion kg of freight; making it the 11th busiest airport worldwide by international passenger traffic and 8th busiest in terms of international freight traffic." according to this link: https://samchui.com/2020/04/07/taipei-airport-hits-record-low-daily-passenger-number/#.X8pd4rNlBaQ These things don't add up for me. :confused:

Check out the chart DeVern just referenced. Seven deaths total. Remember they went through SARS-1 and several other epidemics, routinely wear masks, etc. When we were in Africa with Ron Ayers we ran into a safari vehicle full of Taiwan citizens all wearing masks in the middle of a game preserve. It is a different culture completely.

Check out the chart DeVern just referenced. Seven deaths total. Remember they went through SARS-1 and several other epidemics, routinely wear masks, etc. When we were in Africa with Ron Ayers we ran into a safari vehicle full of Taiwan citizens all wearing masks in the middle of a game preserve. It is a different culture completely.

If so, then bravo for them, but I've not heard that common makes (i.e. less than N95) were *that* effective stopping the spread. In the desert 'eh? You're right - that is a far different culture than Europe or North America.

The difference in Taiwan is that their vice president (until recently) was Chen Chien-jen, a Johns Hopkins trained epidemiologist.

N95 masks are designed to protect the wearer, not others in proximity. In fact, there are models bearing N95 certification that incorporate a one way vent to atmosphere for exhaled air.

The cloth masks or surgical-mask types being advocated by scientists and health authorities are intended to reduce the quantity and spread of exhaled virus-laden droplets given off by the wearer, and have been shown to be effective in that to various degrees, depending upon material, construction, and proper use. In short, worn to protect others. NIH has data on that.

Unfortunately, in this country the issue of masking has been couched in political overtones and divisiveness, from the top down. Probably the most effective thing that could have been done to help the middle portion of the country would have been the wide-spread issuance of bright red MAGA masks early on, especially if accompanied by support from the top echelons on down. Probably too late for a major impact now, though.

Best,
DeVern

If I write what I really think the admins will spank me or ban me or something. So I will only say that the current deaths, and the projected 450,000 by February represent a national tragedy of epic proportions caused by machinations and narcisistic indifference to reality.

I think the US covid death total just went over the total number of US combat deaths for World War II.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

N95 masks are designed to protect the wearer, not others in proximity. In fact, there are models bearing N95 certification that incorporate a one way vent to atmosphere for exhaled air.

The cloth masks or surgical-mask types being advocated by scientists and health authorities are intended to reduce the quantity and spread of exhaled virus-laden droplets given off by the wearer, and have been shown to be effective in that to various degrees, depending upon material, construction, and proper use. In short, worn to protect others. NIH has data on that.

Unfortunately, in this country the issue of masking has been couched in political overtones and divisiveness, from the top down. Probably the most effective thing that could have been done to help the middle portion of the country would have been the wide-spread issuance of bright red MAGA masks early on, especially if accompanied by support from the top echelons on down. Probably too late for a major impact now, though.

Best,
DeVern

I think you are absolutely correct, the MAGA mask could have been a great seller if the Chief Marketer had gotten behind it in March. He missed an opportunity there. As it is now less than half the population here in SD wears a mask at all. At our Super Walmart they do not monitor the entry and less than half of the people inside are wearing masks. Sad.

If someone wants to read some history that gives context and lessons relevant to current day events I would highly recommend The Great Influenza by John M Barry.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

If someone wants to read some history that gives context and lessons relevant to current day events I would highly recommend The Great Influenza by John M Barry.

Agreed. Another good reference point is a one-hour episode called “Influenza 1918” of the PBS “American Experience” show. First aired in 2010, so it has no references to today’s pandemic nor influence therefrom—just a good overview of that pandemic, with many surprising similarities to today’s. As a species, we appear to be slow learners.

Best,
DeVern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back