• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mechanic friend of mine flew out of Orlando last week to join his IndyCar team in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin.

1. The plane was packed. No social distancing via empty middle seats. About a quarter of the passengers had their masks pulled down by mid-flight and the airline folks were not enforcing the mask rules.

2. In the Orlando airport itself, it was shoulder-to-shoulder with virtually no one wearing a mask.

I have to ask, do people WANT to die? :banghead

I had planned on riding down to the BMW MOA Motorrad Fest in Tennessee in September. Looks chancy at this point based on today's figures:

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.48.37 AM.png

To your wife I offer my most sincere apology. It is just that in the 1950s, literally, my father bought a Craftsman table saw from the Sears and Roebuck Co. in Grand Forks, North Dakota. And my cat liked it. ;)

No apologies necessary. We both assumed that the table saw was fully functional, perhaps with a remote control on/off switch just to keep things interesting.:laugh

I have to ask, do people WANT to die? :banghead

I think there are just too many who think this is a cold or the flu. And it seems to make just a few very sick, so if it isn't someone you know, it isn't real.

Last week here in Texas COVID-19-related deaths jumped from 240 the previous week to almost 500. I recall as a kid, people be upset that 100 U.S. personnel were dying a week in Vietnam. Last Thursday 105 died in one day in Texas.

Although we continue learning about this virus seeming information flip flopping week to week, month to month, day to day, nowhere is the actual death rate figured out, the possible over count, (some experts claiming as much as 25%), Someone should divide the number of deaths into 330,000,000, do the math and post it. Or we can just run around arms flailing to winds. I would have assumed that was the media’s job. Just sayin, empiricism and all that stuff. Information and stuff. Learning.

Yes, I comprehend this virus is virulent, moreso than previous viruses. And yes, I’m in the at risk group of old folks. However, the now ubiquitous “infection” score every morning is becoming a political rant, which is actually banned here. Two sense, FWIW.

..... nowhere is the actual death rate figured out, the possible over count, (some experts claiming as much as 25%), Someone should divide the number of deaths into 330,000,000, do the math and post it.

This isn't how death rate is computed for any fatal event. The current overall death rate for people who are infected with Covid-19 is approximately 1.5%. It varies from country to country, (in the US the number stands at approximately 4% - 136,000 dead from 3.4 million infected), and has been going down as the medical community learns how to deal with this new disease. If anyone wants to gamble with the better than 1 in 100 odds that they'll die if they catch the virus, they're welcome to do it far away from me. It ain't the "sniffles" , as I heard it characterized the other day.

Last edited:
Also note that the rise in the number of deaths lags the rise in the number of cases by a few weeks as explained in a recent YouTube video in the continuing series by Dr. John Campbell.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

This isn't how death rate is computed for any fatal event. The current overall death rate for people who are infected with Covid-19 is approximately 1.5%. It varies from country to country and has been going down as the medical community learns how to deal with this new disease. If anyone wants to gamble with the better than 1 in 100 odds that they'll die if they catch the virus, they're welcome to do it far away from me. It ain't the "sniffles" , as I heard it characterized the other day.

I read an article in Newsweek. There is now an Italian strain of the Coronavirus, sometimes called a European Strain, G614. It is up to 10 times more infectious, but not quite as lethal as compared to the original virus that originated in China. I also head a doctor discussing this and it is one possible outcome of all viruses. As they occasionally mutate/evolve, a more infectious but less lethal variety has a much better chance of spreading, as the carriers are more likely to live and spread it. That, along with better treatments, can help bring the death-rate down over time.

Still, our county of 62K people has lost 31 since April 3rd; 7 this so far this month. On average we should lose 7.5 a year to the flu (CDC figure: 11.5 per 100,000 population). Way too many.

I've been tracking South Dakota since March 1st:

Daily%20Positive%20test%20Cases%20Past%2030%20Days%2007%2015_2020-M.png

South%20Dakota%20Rolling%207-day%20Average%20Positive%20Tests%2007_15_2020-M.png

_%25%20Active%20Cases%20by%20Age%2007_15_2020-M.png

South%20Dakota%20Active%20Cases%2007_15_2020-M.png

South%20Dakota%20Currently%20Hospitalized%2007_15_2020-M.png

It’s been almost 4 months since this thread was started. I’m not sure if it feels like the time flew or stood still :hungover
Be careful everyone.
OM

Young, fit and he survived dieselyoda. The odds are overwhelmingly in his favor.

Mirroring the needed sense of humour required during this new period in time, yep, he survived me forcing him how to learn how to weld, get a truck driver's license, run a dozer/loader/grader/buggy and do tires, lots of them, every size.

He flies a 747-800 Nose Loader ERF as a captain at, best guess, born in '85 on the coldest day possible during a blizzard, makes him in Canadian math, tough as they come.

Gives him an advantage against this virus but at 140,000 dead in the US and on average the daily new rate exceeding 20,000 new infections, I gotta think that as scared as I am for my son, we should all be equally as scared for our neighbours?

I-15 is about 7 miles from us. We regularly see the migration of cars and RVs with Alberta tags as the snowbirds travel between AZ and Canada. We call them Alberta Clippers because they drive at a very rapid pace. Today we saw the first Alberta plate that we’ve seen in months. Must have crashed thru the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back