Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 420

Thread: Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

  1. #1
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,099

    Exclamation Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

    Hopefully we can keep this on track and help each other out.

    I can start with-

    It seems that there is a shortage of toilet paper. It also seems that it hasnít been brought up (much) that many donít know how or where the poop goes. Whether you are on a septic system or public sewer, itís good to keep from putting toilet paper substitutes in the toilet.
    Even if a ďPersonal WipeĒ states that it is flushable, itís really not a good idea. This is especially important if your living quarters has a sewage lift pump or station.
    No one needs a poopie backup on top of all we have going on.

    Good luck everyone.

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  2. #2
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Hopefully we can keep this on track and help each other out.

    I can start with-

    It seems that there is a shortage of toilet paper. It also seems that it hasnít been brought up (much) that many donít know how or where the poop goes. Whether you are on a septic system or public sewer, itís good to keep from putting toilet paper substitutes in the toilet.
    Even if a ďPersonal WipeĒ states that it is flushable, itís really not a good idea. This is especially important if your living quarters has a sewage lift pump or station.
    No one needs a poopie backup on top of all we have going on.

    Good luck everyone.

    OM
    Corn Cobbs? What's the limit?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  3. #3
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,099
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Corn Cobbs? What's the limit?
    So much for keeping the thread on track
    om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,542
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Corn Cobbs? What's the limit?
    Time to close the thread. Thanks 36654! 8*)
    Chuck Manley
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

  5. #5
    Registered User mlytle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    alexandria, va
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Hopefully we can keep this on track and help each other out.

    I can start with-

    It seems that there is a shortage of toilet paper. It also seems that it hasnít been brought up (much) that many donít know how or where the poop goes. Whether you are on a septic system or public sewer, itís good to keep from putting toilet paper substitutes in the toilet.
    Even if a ďPersonal WipeĒ states that it is flushable, itís really not a good idea. This is especially important if your living quarters has a sewage lift pump or station.
    No one needs a poopie backup on top of all we have going on.

    Good luck everyone.

    OM
    there is no shortage of TP!!!! there is plenty in the supply chain. it is just that for some reason people have focused on it as their panic button and are hoarding it. there was no shortage before the virus, and people aren't using massively increased amounts of it, they are just hoarding it for no reason.

    this whole "TP shortage" fake news is self inflicted pain. however, the internet jokes/memes about the hoarding are quite hilarious!
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lanark County near Ottawa ON
    Posts
    280
    The toilet paper shortage thing started in Australia where toilet paper is imported from China. There was no reason for North Americans to have concerns.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,582
    Prior to retirement, our city utility did tabletop exercises on pandemic planned response to keep the lights on. That was a laughable exercise for many...including me as no one really had any idea the potential impacts that are becoming realities. We had gone through the Y2K perceived panic of total electric grid loss a few years prior and were skeptical. We worked on it for a few months and actually had a good game plan...on paper.

    We were a little different from investor owned being another city department, which for some issues was a help coordinating with other departments such as fire and police, as well as water and sewer plant operations which are critical operations. We had a team dedicated to health care facilities and power quality as well to prioritize outage response in case of a major issue during a pandemic...tornadoes, severe T-storms, ice event and such.

    Any utility hopefully has plans for personnel, commodities, and transportation. We had set up remote material sites to access transformers and hardware, folks taking all sorts of vehicles home to respond directly to outages without having to go to central facilities and more people. Stockpiling commodities isn't a bad thing if the lead time on production is slow. And, consideration that those producers are also closed or impacted will make you ponder.

    Staffing was always thought number one if we had even half the staff out it was going to be a rough road. Most larger utilities are contractor dependent as well, our line staff was cut many times as the decision to contract was made. One fail point was the contract approver's missed language allowing the contractor to Storm Chase and go where the money was....our yard was completely empty of contract trucks and equipment one Monday morning after a Florida hurricane...we were caught blindsided and unable to meet a lot of new customers timelines...what a mess. I raised my blinds...saw no vehicles, called the contract manager to ask what was up and he had zero clue what I was so excited about.
    A big lesson learned and added to our planning!

    My son-in-law is a FAA controller in LA area and kinda falls into essential services. There are thousands of folks who fall into these categories...wish them the best!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  8. #8
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,099
    If you have a second home, perhaps with a fairly well stocked refrigerator, a good way to know if the power has been out is to put some ice cubes in a ziplock bag and check the ďshapeĒ of the cubes when you arrive.
    If the cubes are now a frozen, flat pancake- food quality should be suspect.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    gig harborr ,wa
    Posts
    1,081
    Steve I remember Y2K! Installed a lot of backup generators from 6/1999 to 12/1999.

  10. #10
    My wife and I full time RV and haul the bikes with us. Right now we are on our way from Deming New Mexico to Kerrville, Tx. We are guaranteed that where we are going is open and will remain open. So for us let me see it I ca state this properly so the smart aleck but we have three rolls of TP left in the RV so we tend to us others unused TP, Campgrounds, RV parks, rest areas, etc.

    We have tried everyday for the last week or so to buy some in different locations across the southwest and people just seem to buy as much as they can. Although today at the Wal-Mart in Deming they said that they were rationing one pack per customer. But Wal-Mart did say that the issues is the people not the supply chain, there is plenty of TP but they only get so much a day.

  11. #11
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,225
    OK, I clearly upset people, but the TP thing is truly ludicrous.

    We did our weekly grocery shopping today and there was the barren TP and paper towel shelves. However, down the aisle, there's fully stocked shelves diapers and baby wipes. Now, both tissue and absorbent pads (diapers, bed pads and hygiene products) use some similar machinery and processes but different materials. In some places, the tissue plant is fairly close to the absorbent material plant. Like in my old home area of north central PA. If there were no diapers or hygiene products (higher priced items), then there would be a reason to think there was a tissue shortage. As is, there appears to be plenty of diapers and hygiene products.

    Tissue is simple bound paper fibers. Absorbent pads use materials that can hold more water than simple paper tissue That's why you don't flush diapers or hygiene products, if they don't plug the toilet, they'll likely plug your septic or sewer line. And, of course, your school janitor told you not to flush paper towels. They don't dissolve like TP or facial tissue.

    So, with that as background...........what's the takeaway? If it ain't tissue, it doesn't get flushed. I assumed everyone had parents that informed them of that. At the outhouse, you can do whatever you want. Just sprinkle some lime, afterwards.........down the hole............not on you.

    If you're afraid you wont have any when the need arises, perhaps you should research what people did before TP or what people do in countries where they don't use TP. I doubt Abe Lincoln ever saw a sheet of TP and we know Geo. Washington didn't, so they must have done something. In some places they use bidets or a squat toilet with a bucket of water.

    So, no TP isn't a crisis.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by grabcon View Post
    My wife and I full time RV and haul the bikes with us. Right now we are on our way from Deming New Mexico to Kerrville, Tx. We are guaranteed that where we are going is open and will remain open.
    I would be a little leery accepting a "guarantee" that any place of public accommodation can remain open. I live in Brewster County Texas, the home of Big Bend National Park. As I type this we are listening to a meeting of the Board of County Commissioners. They are currently considering an order that all hotels, motels, RV parks, and short term rental units be vacated and closed. There is debate as to what the end date for such closures should be. Already the City of Alpine has put in place such an order beginning Sunday, for at least a two week period.

    It doesn't/won't matter what a place of accommodation may have said, nor the existence of reservations. If the legal order to close for the "health, safety and welfare of the public" is served the management and hosts will have no choice but to follow the order to close, their assurances provided to future customers notwithstanding.

    Already all bars, restaurants, gyms, and other such places have been ordered closed except for take out food from the restaurants. And this is in a county which is a major tourist destination but in which there are no documented cases of Covid 19 yet.

    Given statewide orders in California, New York and Illinois (that I am aware of) it is uncertain what Texas might do statewide, or what other counties or cities might do. I write all of this simply urging caution and wishing good luck.

    Edit: Added: The Board of County Commissioners just approved the order here in Brewster County effective Monday noon. They listened to the testimony of the hospital folks and the doctors, and not to the hotel owners.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 03-20-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  13. #13
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,457
    Quote Originally Posted by grabcon View Post
    . Although today at the Wal-Mart in Deming they said that they were rationing one pack per customer. But Wal-Mart did say that the issues is the people not the supply chain, there is plenty of TP but they only get so much a day.
    My wife works for Walmart and she said our store gets trucks 5 to 6 days a week.
    The TP gets restocked and only lasts a couple hours because people are hording for some stupid reason.
    It has been bad enough some of the employees were running low because they can't shop while on the clock or set things back to purchase latter.
    By the time they have a lunch break the shelves are empty.
    An except was made yesterday so the employees that were running low could purchase TP in the morning.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  14. #14
    PGlaves, I understand your thoughts on the guarantee but we just spoke with them right before I wrote here and they have no intention of shutting down. I also heard the issues in Brewster county yesterday about closing everything. I am not going to hijack this thread but closing everything presents issue for those of us who are full time RVers.

  15. #15
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,225
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I would be a little leery accepting a "guarantee" that any place of public accommodation can remain open. I live in Brewster County Texas, the home of Big Bend National Park. As I type this we are listening to a meeting of the Board of County Commissioners. They are currently considering an order that all hotels, motels, RV parks, and short term rental units be vacated and closed. There is debate as to what the end date for such closures should be. Already the City of Alpine has put in place such an order beginning Sunday, for at least a two week period.

    It doesn't/won't matter what a place of accommodation may have said, nor the existence of reservations. If the legal order to close for the "health, safety and welfare of the public" is served the management and hosts will have no choice but to follow the order to close, their assurances provided to future customers notwithstanding.

    Already all bars, restaurants, gyms, and other such places have been ordered closed except for take out food from the restaurants. And this is in a county which is a major tourist destination but in which there are no documented cases of Covid 19 yet.

    Given statewide orders in California, New York and Illinois (that I am aware of) it is uncertain what Texas might do statewide, or what other counties or cities might do. I write all of this simply urging caution and wishing good luck.

    Edit: Added: The Board of County Commissioners just approved the order here in Brewster County effective Monday noon. They listened to the testimony of the hospital folks and the doctors, and not to the hotel owners.
    In PA, we have a list of what's open and closed. IMHO, the city of Philly refusing shutdown the bars on St. Patrick's Day was what pushed the point. The eastern part of the state is where most of our confirmed cases are. Left to the locals, the bars and restaurants would still be operating.

    https://www.governor.pa.gov/wp-conte...g-Business.pdf
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Head Mileage Considerations
    By bswihart in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 10:36 PM
  2. Any Tips About Yellowstone National Park?
    By beemeup in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 01:02 AM
  3. First Time Attendee to a National - Read This
    By RHAUTAU in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 03:32 AM
  4. Considerations when buying used?
    By Rocket in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •