Page 71 of 86 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1280

Thread: Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I wish people would wear their masks correctly. Having your big nose stick out above the mask defeats the purpose of wearing a mask!

Harry
    That one gets me too! I am pleased they are trying - but just like riding a motorcycle there are certain things you should pay attention to.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Looks like the UK has a jump on the first mass inoculations. Letís hope all goes well.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Looks like the UK has a jump on the first mass inoculations. Letís hope all goes well.
    OM
    On the plus side of that if it turns into something like the Will Smith movie "I am Legend", it will be pretty contained, I hope.

Who am I kidding, the US is posed to exceed 300,000 deaths in two weeks.

Drove down one of my favorite streets today with barber shops, ice cream places, Italian food and good burger joints. It was a virtual dead zone of businesses.

I can't grasp the heart ache this is causing.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

ďThe major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.Ē

And to think early on Trump forecast maybe 100 000 deaths.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

If I write what I really think the admins will spank me or ban me or something. So I will only say that the current deaths, and the projected 450,000 by February represent a national tragedy of epic proportions caused by machinations and narcisistic indifference to reality.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 12-04-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If I write what I really think the admins will spank me or ban me or something. So I will only say that the current deaths, and the projected 450,000 by February represent a national tragedy of epic proportions caused my machinations and narcisistic indifference to reality.
    Paul,
    However we got here, there are many people who are actively resisting mandatory mask and social distancing requirements. A week and a half ago the Boise Mayor imposed mandatory mask requirements for all businesses to be enforced with fines and possible arrests (for trespassing). Last weekend a group of protesters were going from store to store downtown harassing the employees - not buying anything - just yelling about masks. They wouldn't leave when asked until the cops were called, who then played chase. Eventually, they were found and a couple were arrested for trespassing. One custom jewelry store posted a notice to not come in without a mask, or the owner would consider it assault and "act accordingly." This is Idaho and just about everyone carries, even the liberals. The hot line the mayor setup to report mask non-compliance incidences wasn't usable for the first several days because someone setup a robo-call system to swamp the phone lines. Boise is not alone in experiencing these kinds of behaviors. It can be said that mask opposition and virus doubters have been encouraged, but from my perspective that was only fanning a fire already burning.

I wish any and all elected officials all the luck in the world enforcing mandatory anything related to this virus. As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Three year old adults don't wear masks! Tantrums is what I call it.

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Paul,
    However we got here, there are many people who are actively resisting mandatory mask and social distancing requirements.

I wish any and all elected officials all the luck in the world enforcing mandatory anything related to this virus. As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
    The Governor of Wyoming recently expressed his frustration with this issue by decrying the - and this is a direct quotation so don't blame me - "knuckleheads" who won't wear masks or follow other public health guidelines.

I immediately thought of some knucklehead during the Nazi bombing blitz of London in WW2 declaring, "I'll leave my lights on if I want to. You can't tell me what to do." Oh, how far we have declined in these past years. As a culture we have become a selfish joke. If they were the "greatest generation" what are we? The worst, maybe?

As a relevent aside, as of this week, on a new cases per capita basis my home of Brewster County, Texas is the 4th worst county in the US; our next door neighbor Presidio County is number 3. And we have more than our share of knuckleheads who refuse to wear masks, or maintain any distance, or probably even wash their hands or any other parts of their bodies.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 12-04-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The Governor of Wyoming recently expressed his frustration with this issue by decrying the - and this is a direct quotation so don't blame me - "knuckleheads" who won't wear masks or follow other public health guidelines.

I immediately thought of some knucklehead during the Nazi bombing blitz of London in WW2 declaring, "I'll leave my lights on if I want to. You can't tell me what to do." Oh, how far we have declined in these past years. As a culture we have become a selfish joke. If they were the "greatest generation" what are we? The worst, maybe?
    We have lost much: trust in any and all authority, science, logic, rational behavior, personal sense of shame or responsibility, and commitment to something larger and more important than ourselves. And, it's not just the U.S. - it's South America, Europe, and even much of Asia. However, putting things into perspective, this virus is really only a test run. If there are Aliens nearby, and if they have hostile intent, they are probably rubbing their hands together in delight.

A friend told me a quote he saw, "How come all the stupid kids I went to high school with now think they are microbiologists?"
    Greg Feeler

I donít have first hand information but it doesnít seem like any country is doing any better than the US. I find it concerning that it also doesnít seem that countries are not really learning much from each other.
    I still see the local schoolís track team running in groups, shoulder to shoulder, no masks.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Just cleaning out of the shallow end of the gene pool.
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Just cleaning out of the shallow end of the gene pool.
    Really? Seems that a lot of grandparents are passing.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Really? Seems that a lot of grandparents are passing.

OM
    In a true natural selection environment the very young, weak, slow, and old all die at higher rates in times of adversity.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    In a true natural selection environment the very young, weak, slow, and old all die at higher rates in times of adversity.
    I was trying to "counter" the appearance of those dying of Covid being viewed as "no big deal".
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I donít have first hand information but it doesnít seem like any country is doing any better than the US. I find it concerning that it also doesnít seem that countries are not really learning much from each other.
    I still see the local schoolís track team running in groups, shoulder to shoulder, no masks.
    OM
    Check out Taiwan. About the same population of Florida. Total deaths were in the single digits when I looked last week. Yes 7! Compared to the thousands in Florida. I'm not picking on Florida. It just happens to be a population match.