• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

49 L top case ('08 RT)

W7lej1

Kindly curmudgeon
I didn't see anything posted on this earlier - if I overlooked, regrets.

Just pulled the 'scoot' out of winter storage, the top case release button/lock is stiff - not stuck, just stiff. I was thinking about squirting some silicon spray, or maybe white lube, in to get things loosened up a bit. Any words of wisdom? What to use? Or, do I need to disassemble things? FYI - button is stiff even when the lid is opened.

Thanks, all!

Marty

You might have to disassemble the case, clean and lubricate the mechanism. There is much more to it than just the release handle.

I've sprayed silicone lube in and around lock cylinder. I Have applied a good teflon lube to all visible mechanisms including latches. Seems to work for me.

The mechanism is pretty complicated, with most moving parts in areas that spray lube will never reach from the outside. There is a disassembly thread with pictures here, but you will need to turn off any ad blockers temporarily and click each one to see them.

THank you all!

I took Larry's suggestion, took everything apart and cleaned and lubed all the bits and pieces. Back in business!

Marty

Back