Thread: 1985 K100RS coolant capacity clarification.

1985 K100RS coolant capacity clarification.

The owners manual states 2.8 liters (3 quarts) with 0.4 liters in the equalizing tank. Clymer states 3.0 liters (3.2 quarts) and 0.4 liters in equalizing tank. The quarts are U.S. volumes. How much are you guys putting in these bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    The owners manual states 2.8 liters (3 quarts) with 0.4 liters in the equalizing tank. Clymer states 3.0 liters (3.2 quarts) and 0.4 liters in equalizing tank. The quarts are U.S. volumes. How much are you guys putting in these bikes?
    On my K75s I assume I will need at least three quarts. Then I add coolant and as I do so massage the hoses until I am confident the air is out. When the collant is up to the cap I then add to the midpoint in the expansion tank. It takes a bit less than 3 quarts but the block is smaller on a K75 than on a K100.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    On my K75s I assume I will need at least three quarts. Then I add coolant and as I do so massage the hoses until I am confident the air is out. When the collant is up to the cap I then add to the midpoint in the expansion tank. It takes a bit less than 3 quarts but the block is smaller on a K75 than on a K100.

Got it! Not so much a definitive measured amount necessarily.

Thank you.

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    Got it! Not so much a definitive measured amount necessarily.

Thank you.
    Correct. Completely full at the radiator cap with no trapped air in the block (run the engine until the thermostat opens. Usually 7-10 minutes or until the fan kicks on). Then let it cool down and top off. Then fill overflow bottle midway between hot and cold.

Before filling radiator, make SURE that there are NO cracks in the hose between the radiator fill neck and the overflow bottle. A crack in this hose will cause air to be sucked into the radiator and will cause overheating.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Correct. Completely full at the radiator cap with no trapped air in the block (run the engine until the thermostat opens. Usually 7-10 minutes or until the fan kicks on). Then let it cool down and top off. Then fill overflow bottle midway between hot and cold.

Before filling radiator, make SURE that there are NO cracks in the hose between the radiator fill neck and the overflow bottle. A crack in this hose will cause air to be sucked into the radiator and will cause overheating.

Pretty much what I did but only put in coolant volume as stated in manual. Squeezed the hoses and a few more bubbles came out and it took about another 300ml to bottom of neck. All brand new Samco hoses including overflow.

Bluenoser
    Take the amounts in the Clymer manuals as a guide. Over the years I've found many cases where the amounts & measurements are wrong.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1986 K100RT