• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS coolant capacity clarification.

mcmlcccvrs

The owners manual states 2.8 liters (3 quarts) with 0.4 liters in the equalizing tank. Clymer states 3.0 liters (3.2 quarts) and 0.4 liters in equalizing tank. The quarts are U.S. volumes. How much are you guys putting in these bikes?

The owners manual states 2.8 liters (3 quarts) with 0.4 liters in the equalizing tank. Clymer states 3.0 liters (3.2 quarts) and 0.4 liters in equalizing tank. The quarts are U.S. volumes. How much are you guys putting in these bikes?

On my K75s I assume I will need at least three quarts. Then I add coolant and as I do so massage the hoses until I am confident the air is out. When the collant is up to the cap I then add to the midpoint in the expansion tank. It takes a bit less than 3 quarts but the block is smaller on a K75 than on a K100.

On my K75s I assume I will need at least three quarts. Then I add coolant and as I do so massage the hoses until I am confident the air is out. When the collant is up to the cap I then add to the midpoint in the expansion tank. It takes a bit less than 3 quarts but the block is smaller on a K75 than on a K100.

Got it! Not so much a definitive measured amount necessarily.

Thank you.

Got it! Not so much a definitive measured amount necessarily.

Thank you.

Correct. Completely full at the radiator cap with no trapped air in the block (run the engine until the thermostat opens. Usually 7-10 minutes or until the fan kicks on). Then let it cool down and top off. Then fill overflow bottle midway between hot and cold.

Before filling radiator, make SURE that there are NO cracks in the hose between the radiator fill neck and the overflow bottle. A crack in this hose will cause air to be sucked into the radiator and will cause overheating.

:dance:dance:dance

Correct. Completely full at the radiator cap with no trapped air in the block (run the engine until the thermostat opens. Usually 7-10 minutes or until the fan kicks on). Then let it cool down and top off. Then fill overflow bottle midway between hot and cold.

Before filling radiator, make SURE that there are NO cracks in the hose between the radiator fill neck and the overflow bottle. A crack in this hose will cause air to be sucked into the radiator and will cause overheating.

:dance:dance:dance

Pretty much what I did but only put in coolant volume as stated in manual. Squeezed the hoses and a few more bubbles came out and it took about another 300ml to bottom of neck. All brand new Samco hoses including overflow.

Take the amounts in the Clymer manuals as a guide. Over the years I've found many cases where the amounts & measurements are wrong.

Back