• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1972 -1974 R75/5 Front Drum Brake Set-up

b25bsaboy

Good evening to everyone and I trust that everyone is well considering the current world situation with the Corona Virus?

I have assembled the front drum brake and have to admit I have never set up drum brakes, as most of the bikes both British and BMW have been disc brakes. I have replaced all the drum brake pads with new from Motobins in the UK and the springs looked fine and have reused.

Did some research and came across this link from MAX BMW about doing drum brake setup's which I found informative. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/CmcKzIXnORs
Also found Brook Reams an excellent site to gather information - Thanks Brook!

The thing that has me worried and when I took the brake assembly apart, I didn't mark or paint the front spring that is supposed to be 2.5mm long (front/rear?)while the other one is 2.0mm long (front/rear). I took everything apart earlier this afternoon and measured from the point where the springs start to coil end to end and it was 5.0mm on one and 5.5mm on the second one. I checked the Motorbins site for the springs and they show two different styles/sizes which leads me to believe I had better ask some questions.

1. The springs lengths are what and how can you tell them apart?
UPDATE: Did some research and found the following information on MAX BMW site:
Front Brake Spring is 19 Coils that is located next to the eccentric lock pin. It is according to Max 110.46mm long and is BMW Part # 34 11 1 230 0120.
Rear Brake Spring is 17 Coils and is the opposite side from the eccentric lock pin. Again, according to the Max Parts web site is 114.28mm long and is BMW Part # 34112 060 237.
So from the MAX description the longer spring is located in the front brake shoe pad where the eccentric adjuster is located.

2. In the YouTube clip the gentleman made the comment that if the springs are not in their correct positions, the adjusting mechanism will be hard to adjust.

3. I understand the method of the eccentric adjuster as explained in the MAX tutorial, but how far anti-clock wise does one turn the allen key to know when to stop and back off slightly.

My apologies for all the questions and would appreciate some and any suggestions!

Last edited:
The front spring is of a heavier gauge (thicker in diameter) than the rear. The adjustment of the eccentric is such that you have 4mm of travel at the end of the front lever with the eccentric holding the lever from extending farther.

Back