• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailering an RT

I have a 2004, R1150RT, I would like to have a trailer to haul it on. Looking for advise. Would like a utility trailer so I could use it for more things like lawn mowers, trash, etc.
Any suggestions as to length of trailer? 8' or 10'? Wheels outside the bed. How long should the tailgate be. Any brand suggestions.

Welcome to the forum!
Check the bottom of the page in the “similar thread” pane. There is a lot of good information throughout the forum on trailering and tie-downs.
The “Tag Cloud” has great information as well. The TC is accessed at the bottom of the page.
Good luck.
Gary

My bikes ride on an 42" x 96" floor.

My trailer is only 8" off the ground and the ramp is 6'. The lengthy of the ramp will depend on what you feel comfortable either pushing or riding the bike onto the trailer.

I have a 2004, R1150RT, I would like to have a trailer to haul it on. Looking for advise. Would like a utility trailer so I could use it for more things like lawn mowers, trash, etc.
Any suggestions as to length of trailer? 8' or 10'? Wheels outside the bed. How long should the tailgate be. Any brand suggestions.

Welcome to the forum.
I have a Aluma brand utility trailer with a bed 68" wide by 10 feet long.
I bought 68" wide in case I ever need to haul both motorcycles.
For one bike I would go narrower.
If we use it for the bikes I wanted a wide ramp so I could put my feet down if need.
Having a folding ramp or one that slides under the deck is good to cut down on wind resistance.
Aluma makes a motorcycle trailer where the ramp sides under the deck plus it has a rock guard in front.
My ramp will fold in half but I don't think it will lay flat with a bike on the trailer.
Here's pictures of mine.

6810 Aluma (3).jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

6810 Aluma (2).jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the Aluma single motorcycle trailer.

<iframe width="1188" height="668" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pDIoRX90C8E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last year I trailered my RT around Va. and back to Ct. when my final drive went on the way home from Lebanon.
I only had 600 miles to go.

I borrowed a trailer from work and bought one of these.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html
I used ratchet straps to hold it to the trailer and pushed the bike into it.
Worked great!!
The strap location for the Rt is above the front fender.
I took off the black triangles and strapped the rear on the frame to minimize bouncing.
I could see the bike bouncing on the suspension, but it held up.

Rent a Trailer

I live in St. Louis, but purchased a K1200RS from a dealer in Denver. So, I rented a uhaul motorcycle trailer, drove to Denver, picked up the bike, drove home. Worked great, pretty inexpensive (I think it was about $15 per day).

I live in St. Louis, but purchased a K1200RS from a dealer in Denver. So, I rented a uhaul motorcycle trailer, drove to Denver, picked up the bike, drove home. Worked great, pretty inexpensive (I think it was about $15 per day).

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Works great and you never have to store it......

Welcome to the forum.
If we use it for the bikes I wanted a wide ramp so I could put my feet down if need.
Having a folding ramp or one that slides under the deck is good to cut down on wind resistance.
Aluma makes a motorcycle trailer where the ramp sides under the deck plus it has a rock guard in front.
My ramp with fold in half but I don't think it will lay flat with a bike on the trailer.
Here's pictures of mine.

View attachment 77544

View attachment 77545

View attachment 77546

View attachment 77547

Damn...that trailer is a beauty.

Welcome to the forum.
My ramp with fold in half but I don't think it will lay flat with a bike on the trailer.
Here's pictures of mine.

+1 for Aluma! ramp slides in rack under deck. i have had both the single MC and double MC models. double is great. light, can take one or two bikes...or lawn mowers, trash barrels, etc. i used mine to move a bunch of furniture when i move houses a few years ago.

Last edited:
I have a utility trailer made by Carson Trailers. No it isn't motorcycle specific or very pretty, but it works. On those rare occasions when the bike has to be trailered, my '04 RT fits in it very nicely.

It spends most of it time doing other utility duties. Like helping someone move, hauling trash or picking up wood. And doesn't mind sitting in the yard getting dusty.

IMG_7044.jpg

I have an aluminum trailer with a wood deck, which I prefer because it allows me to block things in place with 2"x4" blocks and deck screws to keep things from shifting. I also use wheel chocks, courtesy of HF, and at least four ratcheted tie downs per bike. The trailer is a Silver Eagle, 7' x 12', with 6' ramps that store under the deck and can attach to the sides or the back for loading. It also has a cargo box across the front which helps as a stone shield for cargo. I can easily haul two hacks or four solo bikes on it.

P1010006.JPG

I have an aluminum trailer with a wood deck, which I prefer because it allows me to block things in place with 2"x4" blocks and deck screws to keep things from shifting. I also use wheel chocks, courtesy of HF, and at least four ratcheted tie downs per bike. The trailer is a Silver Eagle, 7' x 12', with 6' ramps that store under the deck and can attach to the sides or the back for loading. It also has a cargo box across the front which helps as a stone shield for cargo. I can easily haul two hacks or four solo bikes on it.

View attachment 77550

There is no trouble seeing that rig.

Sold to a nice family in NE. This was the delivery trip with a meet up in Rock Springs, WY.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'll check out Aluma 10 foot trailers, thanks Lee.
I know I shouldn't trailer a BMW, but getting to some of the good roads we like to ride, my wife gets tired riding long distance on the back. Alone I'm ok.
I'll check out U Haul too.
JNRUGG: I too had trouble on the way home from Lebanon TN last summer. Was in Mt Airy NC, when my transmission made a crunching noise. I believe it was the clutch actuator, whatever that is. Called BMW dealer in Roanoke, they said I should keep riding till it breaks and try to make it home to Harrisburg PA. Last thing I wanted to do was ride Rt 81, but I made it to dealer with very little clutch left. At least I didn't have to trailer it home.
Thanks for everyones advise.

Back