Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is the best bike to ride to avoid contacting Coronavirus?

P Monk

no corona's for me

today I needed to go to Wally World, so I picked one not too close to home and rode my 1974 R90/6. I took the back roads to avoid congested places.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    Any of the F model bikes. Everyone will social distance themselves from you when you ride it.
    F n K Bikes all belong in the same category and probably both styles safe. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    F n K Bikes all belong in the same category and probably both styles safe. :-)
    If you ride an F or K bike, you already know that it's really not "social distancing" when the other guy just can't catch you.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Update to my previous post.

Be advised, not all well ventilated spaces are virus free.

Bill
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    Update to my previous post.

Be advised, not all well ventilated spaces are virus free.

Bill
    I've been following the latest about the spread of the virus. It seems singing in a choir can spread it widely since forceful singing ejects droplets. Then I read that a good sneeze can catapult the virus 26 feet, and that it might linger in the air for 3 hours. So, assume I am riding down the lonely but not abandoned TX 118 between Alpine, Texas and Big Bend National Park (which is now totally closed except to the bandit patriots who think they can hide from the Rangers). Assume I am headed to Alpine to buy more Spam, Wine, Rice, and Beer. And suppose that last tourist in a fancy painted Cruise America RV that ignored the "Park Is Closed" flashing sign at Alpine (we see about one a day headed south and then back north) tools along but sneezes out the window of the RV. And suppose I enter the invisible cloud of viral Covid 19 pollution from the ignorant "touron". Just suppose.

If I am on the G310 I am exposed to this cloud for X number of breaths. But if I am on my K75 only X-3 breaths. And if on the K75RTP with the super efficient RT fairing I might not even be exposed at all to that pocket of air and droplets. Just suppose. Do the math. I am still confused.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-06-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Itís an entire change of life- having to stay home. As I watch the (news) reports, I see rhetoric that makes me think that............
    Actually Iím not going to go into it. Stay Home. Try to not be the next level of problems.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

If you ride fast enough you can super-heat the air around you and kill the virus. I am surprised this has not been reported in the media...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Yes stay home. I got a ride in the other day and was thinking that it would be all right, hardly any traffic. And then I come up on a car that is sightseeing at ten under the limit. No problem, I am just riding around anyway, and then the cigarette butt comes flying out the window (big pet peeve of mine). As I'm screaming in my helmet at this A-hole he decides to clear his throat and hock a loogie out the window. Ride over, go home to self quarantine, I give up.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I've been following the latest about the spread of the virus. It seems singing in a choir can spread it widely since forceful singing ejects droplets. Then I read that a good sneeze can catapult the virus 26 feet, and that it might linger in the air for 3 hours. So, assume I am riding down the lonely but not abandoned TX 118 between Alpine, Texas and Big Bend National Park (which is now totally closed except to the bandit patriots who think they can hide from the Rangers). Assume I am headed to Alpine to buy more Spam, Wine, Rice, and Beer. And suppose that last tourist in a fancy painted Cruise America RV that ignored the "Park Is Closed" flashing sign at Alpine (we see about one a day headed south and then back north) tools along but sneezes out the window of the RV. And suppose I enter the invisible could of viral Covid 19 pollution from the ignorant "touron". Just suppose.

If I am on the G310 I am exposed to this cloud for X number of breaths. But if I am on my K75 only X-3 breaths. And if on the K75RTP with the super efficient RT fairing I might not even be exposed at all to that pocket of air and droplets. Just supposed. Do the math. I am still confused.
    The one common risk factor to all your bike options is that breath thing you got going on. Stop that and the virus will be zero threat.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    If you ride fast enough you can super-heat the air around you and kill the virus. I am surprised this has not been reported in the media...
    This is true, and if you go even faster that super-heated air "envelope" will deflect (fails to reflect) radar signals. Something like the reentry blackout period when the Mercury and Apollo capsules would return to earth. Really, I wouldn't make this up.
    Greg Feeler

I think this is the right bike for the apocalypse

I think that we're all a bit on the crazy side! But on the other hand, what is normal? And then, on the other hand she had warts.
    Boxerbruce

It's a good start, but will need gun mounts.
    Greg Feeler

Mad Max III!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I've been following the latest about the spread of the virus. It seems singing in a choir can spread it widely since forceful singing ejects droplets. Then I read that a good sneeze can catapult the virus 26 feet, and that it might linger in the air for 3 hours. So, assume I am riding down the lonely but not abandoned TX 118 between Alpine, Texas and Big Bend National Park (which is now totally closed except to the bandit patriots who think they can hide from the Rangers). Assume I am headed to Alpine to buy more Spam, Wine, Rice, and Beer. And suppose that last tourist in a fancy painted Cruise America RV that ignored the "Park Is Closed" flashing sign at Alpine (we see about one a day headed south and then back north) tools along but sneezes out the window of the RV. And suppose I enter the invisible cloud of viral Covid 19 pollution from the ignorant "touron". Just suppose.

If I am on the G310 I am exposed to this cloud for X number of breaths. But if I am on my K75 only X-3 breaths. And if on the K75RTP with the super efficient RT fairing I might not even be exposed at all to that pocket of air and droplets. Just suppose. Do the math. I am still confused.

Today on the IBMWR email list Charles Lipton posted a story about the area where he lives in Japan. I would repost the entire message here except that all messages on the IBMWR list are copyrighted, so I will summarize. Seems there was a local guy who had symptoms of the virus for about a week before seeking treatment. He spent that time driving certain local roads and coughing out his car window. The health authorities found a lot of the virus on the side of his car, and along the roads he regularly traveled. "A number" of bicycle, scooter, and small motorcycle riders have tested positive, and the authorities are now testing farmers with fields adjacent to these roads. Charles found out when the health people came to test him as he was known to do a lot of motorcycle riding along these roads. Authorities have advised to avoid motorcycle riding unless it's your only transportation and then always wear a mask.
    Greg Feeler