Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1200 Wethead Maintenance Videos - FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Alex:

Good to see you back on here; I had wondered what you were up to, in retirement.
    I don't spend much time on forums anymore and spend most of it on YouTube picking up some tips here and there.

Same old, motorcycles, cars and my workshop. Nothing like riding and tinkering in the workshop to relax. Last summer was my 25th year in a row riding the Alps (where does time go). If I had more time, I'd have an Extra 300 and an Island Packet 380, but days are not 48 hours long.

I echo the sentiments of others in being thankful for these well done videos by BoxFlyer and Chris-on-the-Street.

I don't fully understand how BoxFlyer gets by with wearing a light colored shirt whilst working on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post

I don't fully understand how BoxFlyer gets by with wearing a light colored shirt whilst working on a motorcycle.
    When I had my shop a friend would come by and work on his car if I had room. I watched him change front brake pads in a white shirt and tie. Not a spot on him when he left. I can't even leave the house in a white shirt.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I have long held that motorcycle clothes need to be dark 'cause the dirt and grease doesn't show up as much.

In the garage I take care, but still by the end of the day my sleeves will always have a smear or smudge of something dark.

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    Easy, the BMW he worked on is clean. Just look at the Final Drive oil change video. It looks like it came out of the showroom. Whereas I have seen others on YouTube and they don't even bother cleaning around the fill and drain screws, lets not even mention the final drive. You ought to see my 1990 R100 GS and it has been places. And 30 years later, it still looks new.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Easy, the BMW he worked on is clean. Just look at the Final Drive oil change video. It looks like it came out of the showroom. Whereas I have seen others on YouTube and they don't even bother cleaning around the fill and drain screws, lets not even mention the final drive. You ought to see my 1990 R100 GS and it has been places. And 30 years later, it still looks new.
    The whole "I'm too busy riding to wash my bike" speaks of poor maintenance habits.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Alex, a lot of it is also Brad's style of work and work habits. As you can tell from the videos, he is very measured and meticulous.

The day before he and Chris shot the initial footage used for that series, he did the full 20k Service (plus) on my 2014 RT as a Tech Day for my local Club (much appreciated by everyone who attended).

With working on my dirty bike plus explaining/instructing, he didn't dirty his clothing. I was far dirtier trying to keep up with him as his half-witted assistant.;-)

My bike was not clean at all. I ride in all weather and the bike had been ridden on plenty of dirt and mud roads without being washed prior to the work.

He's definitely far more gifted than me. ;-)
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Alex, a lot of it is also Brad's style of work and work habits. As you can tell from the videos, he is very measured and meticulous.
    Hey, he is a pilot and we need to be meticulous. Many of the pilots that I sat around the table with for breakfast drilled themselves into the ground. These are people that trained alongside of me.

Anyway, my GS gets dirty. I'm on the road for 6 weeks but it gets washed before doing my maintenance.

Mr. Brad

I'd like to tack on another barrel of ' Thank Yous ' for your maintenance videos! I've been riding and working on motorcycles for 55 years.
    What I appreciated THE MOST, is that you showed us how to use the proper tools for the valve adjustment, and THEN... showed us how to do the valve clearance adjustment with only everyday basic tools.