• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200 Wethead Maintenance Videos - FREE

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
Maybe someone has posted these already, but I came across these really excellent R1200 Wethead Maintenance Videos the other day.

And the best part is they are on YouTube and they are FREE. The people who produced it really put a lot of work into it.

Part 1:

I also generated an Excel spreadsheet with the shims required based on the present shim installed and the valve clearance measured.

A simple chart you can print...no need for a PC.

Unfortunately I don't think I can upload a MS Excel spreadsheet.

I'm glad you found the YouTube series. I'm the person doing the service in these videos.

These have been online for a little more than a year now and it's helpful to read all the comments and replies below each video, both on Chris's channel as well as mine...they answer lots of questions from other viewers.

My YouTube Channel also has another 6 videos you may find helpful as well.
Safe riding,
Boxflyer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeJAqO8pJpydWQ4z6iNOs9g

I'm glad you found the YouTube series. I'm the person doing the service in these videos.

Well you did an excellent job. :thumb The part that I really wanted to see was the valve adjustment/shim replacement. Seeing it cleared it up in my mind...a no brainer since I have worked on everything from cars, motorcycles to aircraft.

BTW, I got the part number for the slew of BMW tools.

These have been online for a little more than a year now and it's helpful to read all the comments and replies below each video, both on Chris's channel as well as mine...they answer lots of questions from other viewers.

Safe riding,
Boxflyer

Congrats on the videos. Should also be useful for the 1250RT

I'll be doing a YouTube video with specific differences on the 1250RT pretty soon... I have the new Cam Timing alignment jigs now and will post here when it's up on YouTube.
Boxflyer

I'll be doing a YouTube video with specific differences on the 1250RT pretty soon... I have the new Cam Timing alignment jigs now and will post here when it's up on YouTube.
Boxflyer
Brad, I'll be looking forward to that, although I'm not sure I'll be able to log enough miles on the R1250RT this year to get into the clearance/alignment.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Safe riding,
Boxflyer

Boxflyer I purchased a new to me RTW last September, being one who does almost all my own work I have found your videos to provide excellent instruction. I sincerely thank you for the effort. If your in Montana this June hope you will allow me to buy you a beverage of your choice as a meager thank you.

Alex:

Good to see you back on here; I had wondered what you were up to, in retirement.

I don't spend much time on forums anymore and spend most of it on YouTube picking up some tips here and there.

Same old, motorcycles, cars and my workshop. Nothing like riding and tinkering in the workshop to relax. Last summer was my 25th year in a row riding the Alps (where does time go). If I had more time, I'd have an Extra 300 and an Island Packet 380, but days are not 48 hours long. :banghead

I echo the sentiments of others in being thankful for these well done videos by BoxFlyer and Chris-on-the-Street.

I don't fully understand how BoxFlyer gets by with wearing a light colored shirt whilst working on a motorcycle. :)

I don't fully understand how BoxFlyer gets by with wearing a light colored shirt whilst working on a motorcycle. :)

When I had my shop a friend would come by and work on his car if I had room. I watched him change front brake pads in a white shirt and tie. Not a spot on him when he left. I can't even leave the house in a white shirt.

I have long held that motorcycle clothes need to be dark 'cause the dirt and grease doesn't show up as much.

In the garage I take care, but still by the end of the day my sleeves will always have a smear or smudge of something dark.

Easy, the BMW he worked on is clean. Just look at the Final Drive oil change video. It looks like it came out of the showroom. Whereas I have seen others on YouTube and they don't even bother cleaning around the fill and drain screws, lets not even mention the final drive. You ought to see my 1990 R100 GS and it has been places. And 30 years later, it still looks new.

Back