• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Veigel Odometer Quit Working ‘57 R60

72r60/7

Argh !
Veigel Odometer Quit Working yesterday. Speedometer is fine. Anybody had good luck with repair of these instruments ? I’m not looking for an experience, just repair.

I’ve seen a Reproduction for not too much money. I could use until the Veigle is repaired (if possible), since Riding Season opened this week around here. I do know that the instruments are matched to bike gearing.

Has anyone used those ‘55-‘69 Reproductions ? I have seen them everywhere till now. Now, where did I see them ?

All experiences are welcome as well as a few opinions. (Tongue in Cheek)

Charlie

Overseas Speedmeter

Overseas Speedometer in Austin TX, Rick Borth, excellent work on my '68 R50 speedometer, quick turnaround
Adam

I've used a couple different vendors

I have had several speedometers cleaned up and repaired at Over Seas speedometer and Foreign speedometer. I know a Palo Alto does complete restorations as well as repairs but I have heard they take a real long time, charge a sizable chunk of money and sometimes don't get things right, I have not experienced that as I have never used them. You can pick up a cheap repop speedo on Flea Bay, they pop up once in a while or you can check out Bench Mark Works to see what they have, I had the speedometer out of an R 27 at one time and used the open hole to hold my diet Pepsi its a great cup holder. One alternative to getting a loaner speedometer would be to get a small battery powered GPS that will track you speed.

What ever you decide to do while yours is out you have to pay close attention to you engine RPM's more so than you actual speed. The early R 50's came with a "side car transmission" which has lower gearing for side car use, you can run you RPM's up a little to high with out realizing it if you don't pay attention.

Before you send it out take a few detailed pictures of it and make note of is it MPH or KPH and where the shift points are on it as they are specific to that year and CC bike, it would also probably have a black face speedometer so you want to retain that.

You could always just get a replacement speedometer and put the Veigel in a box and not do any repairs, just include it with the bike if you ever decide its time to sell it.

There are a number of speedometer repair places listed in the Speedometer section of the link in my signature line.

Palo Alto Speedometer did a great job with the instruments in my '67 R60/2. I think turnaround was only a couple weeks, too.

Probably need to contact the various places. I seem to recall that Palo Alto (or maybe North Hollywood) sends their vintage speedos out to be done by someone else. Again, just thinking it might be Joe's Speedometer in Reseda. Not completely sure.

So far Overseas Speedometer said they could not help me. Though I did ask in an email for a little more than “just need to have Odometer repaired to functional condition”.

Called and left message w/ Joes Speedometer and not heard anything for maybe a week. Under current conditions will not push on that and will check at a later date.

Meanwhile, I did buy one of the reproduction models on eBay for $17 US delivered. Not sure if that has a lifetime warranty or not. Delivery in a week or two. This ought to be entertaining.
That speedometer must fit every 100cc motorbike in Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.

Reality is that I just would like a temporary odometer to use for measuring fuel need until hopefully repair to the original. May have to go Overseas. The real Overseas. Though I have not run out of North American options yet.

Charlie

Have you made contact w/ Mark Huggett? Also the posters on the Vintagebmw forum always mentioned some suppliers in Germany...I don't keep track of them.

Received a temporary replacement instrument (eBay) this past week to use while original is sent away. If it works, it will tell me about when I should get fuel and keep a more accurate record of mileage during original repair. Certainly more accurate than guessing.

Have not tried it yet.
Took 3 months and 3 weeks to get. (COVID may have had something to do with that)
Looks worth $14.60 (including shipping). It came from India.

I was curious to see if it was real. I was curious to see if it would actually come after 2-2 1/2 months.
Now I’m curious to see if it works. Curious thing this instrument is. Very entertaining.

Charlie

image.jpg

Last edited:
Veigel Odometer quit working

I have had several speedometers cleaned up and repaired at Over Seas speedometer and Foreign speedometer. I know a Palo Alto does complete restorations as well as repairs but I have heard they take a real long time, charge a sizable chunk of money and sometimes don't get things right, I have not experienced that as I have never used them. You can pick up a cheap repop speedo on Flea Bay, they pop up once in a while or you can check out Bench Mark Works to see what they have, I had the speedometer out of an R 27 at one time and used the open hole to hold my diet Pepsi its a great cup holder. One alternative to getting a loaner speedometer would be to get a small battery powered GPS that will track you speed.

What ever you decide to do while yours is out you have to pay close attention to you engine RPM's more so than you actual speed. The early R 50's came with a "side car transmission" which has lower gearing for side car use, you can run you RPM's up a little to high with out realizing it if you don't pay attention.

Before you send it out take a few detailed pictures of it and make note of is it MPH or KPH and where the shift points are on it as they are specific to that year and CC bike, it would also probably have a black face speedometer so you want to retain that.

You could always just get a replacement speedometer and put the Veigel in a box and not do any repairs, just include it with the bike if you ever decide its time to sell it.

Overseas Speedometer are not good to do business with. Rick Borth hangs up if he doesn't understand your questions. He says it is way too much trouble to travel to the post office. He refuses to deal with Canadians and anyone else out of country. Not a good business model for those who put food on his table.

Overseas Speedometer are not good to do business with. Rick Borth hangs up if he doesn't understand your questions. He says it is way too much trouble to travel to the post office. He refuses to deal with Canadians and anyone else out of country. Not a good business model for those who put food on his table.

Have other members had this same experience with Overseas Speedometer? Have other members had good experiences?

Overseas Speedometer

See my post #2, my experience was excellent. There was a minor problem with the repair, sent it back to him and he immediately rectified it. This was on a /2 speedo

Adam

Speedo

Palo Alto does complete restorations as well as repairs but I have heard they take a real long time said:
10-4. Be careful with Palo Alto. I asked them to fix my original non-working clock off my '74 R90s. I was emphatic that I only wanted it repaired and not updated with any other kind of movement. When I received it, it had been updated to a quartz movement.

Back