Thread: brake question 01 k1200LT

brake question 01 k1200LT

Just about to hit 36K, and it sounds like the brake pads need replacing. (metal to metal scraping sound when brakes applied) Can this be done without removing the rotor/wheel/etc? It looks pretty straight forward but I have a tendency to get knee deep in a project before finding out I'm in over my head.
    I got here as quick as I could

Brakes

I believe so. Donít keep driving it, youíll destroy the rotor. Got any grooves cut into the rotor?

Quote Originally Posted by paulie321 View Post
    I believe so. Donít keep driving it, youíll destroy the rotor. Got any grooves cut into the rotor?
    No, thankfully it looks ok. I just started hearing the sound a day or so ago. Been staying off the rear brakes as much as possible. Pads ordered!
    I got here as quick as I could

The pads can be slipped in with the caliper in place. It is a bit awkward though. You drive the two pins from left to right and then pull them out. The spring and short pin are then loose. Spread the pads as far as they can be spread on both sides of the disk. Lift the pads up and out. Insert the new pads and keep them from dropping too far. Put one pin through the 1st pad, then the loop in the spring, and then through the second pad. Put the short pin in the slots in the pads with the spring over this little pin. Depress the other end of the spring slightly and insert the other pin through the 1st pad, over the end of the spring and through the second pad. Drive the pins the rest of the way across the caliper. Short stroke the rear brake pedal several times (going no further than the normal travel of the pedal) until the pistons have pushed the pads and the brake is firm.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by jz3377 View Post
    Just about to hit 36K, and it sounds like the brake pads need replacing. (metal to metal scraping sound when brakes applied) Can this be done without removing the rotor/wheel/etc? It looks pretty straight forward but I have a tendency to get knee deep in a project before finding out I'm in over my head.
    It's a pretty straightforward job. Even if you end up having to pull the caliper off (to get the pistons retracted), it's no biggie. I'd recommend taking lots of pix as you dig in so that you have a record of how it all goes back together.
    Get in there and do it. You'll save money, feel better about yourself, and bond with your bike.

yes, not a hard job.

i would suggest however that you make checking the thickness of your brakes pads a monthly routine. pads should NEVER be allowed to get worn down to the backing plates. very unsafe and will damage the rotors.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s