Thread: 1985 K100RS quick disconnects.

1985 K100RS quick disconnects.

I'm considering a set of metal quick disconnects from Beemer Boneyard. Any issues with these long term such as leakage, etc? I can drain my fuel tank at home but if I'm out on the road and needed to pop the tank off, well..........

Cheers,
    Tom

Do you really need them? A long screwdriver, two loosened worm screws and the gas tank is off with very minimal spillage...

Either way, mine have worked well on my auxiliary fuel tank for the last ~50k miles, granted they aren't under constant pressure. A lot of individuals use those quick disconnects to replace the all-plastic ones on larger K-bikes, so you're probably good to go.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

A couple of related threads on quick disconnects and Beemer Boneyard:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ck-disconnects

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...oneyard-Review
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Disconnects

My 2000 K1200RS doesn’t have them, just clamps. I see no need to add them and I just had the tank off to replace that damn fuel pump U hose.

R1200s

However my 2007 R1200S has them and I had one (original) fail, gas everywhere.

The plastic male pieces break. The metal mail pieces don't. The all metal ones are the best. The O rings might get cut but a spare or two provides a quick repair as long as you have one with you.

I am not sure they are necessary. Some K bikes had a check valve on the return line and others did not. If your bike spewes gas from the return line when it is disconnected then a QD is a good idea. If your bike has a check valve then a QD is not needed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The plastic male pieces break. The metal mail pieces don't. The all metal ones are the best. The O rings might get cut but a spare or two provides a quick repair as long as you have one with you.

I am not sure they are necessary. Some K bikes had a check valve on the return line and others did not. If your bike spewes gas from the return line when it is disconnected then a QD is a good idea. If your bike has a check valve then a QD is not needed.
    Paul is right.... if you have the plastic QD's they will break; it's just a matter of time.