Thread: 1985 K100RS headlight stays on!

1985 K100RS headlight stays on!

I just purchased an '85 K100RS with 251K miles for a pittance. She needs work but is a strong runner. First problem to solve: the headlight stays on after ignition is turned off. This is a brand new problem that just developed today. I suspect a relay problem. Any ideas?

Headlight

On my K1200 (2000) at least it is possible to go one click past the off/ locked position. If I do the lights remain on. Just go far enough to where the handlebars lock.

'84 K100RS here, same thing happened to mine when I chnged out the old relays with newer, ya know, to "upgrade" the system. Turned off motor, headlight stayed on??? What? Tried again and again before I took off tank, put old relays back; and it's works as before with the original on/off handlebar switch. Good luck. The early K bricks had a few quirks, which I like. Just put classic plates on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    '84 K100RS here, same thing happened to mine when I chnged out the old relays with newer, ya know, to "upgrade" the system. Turned off motor, headlight stayed on??? What? Tried again and again before I took off tank, put old relays back; and it's works as before with the original on/off handlebar switch. Good luck. The early K bricks had a few quirks, which I like. Just put classic plates on mine.
    Interesting quirk. But the OP didn't mention making any changes at the time the problem first occurred.
    The "beyond off" key position mentioned above (I think it was some kind of Euro parking setting) sounds more likely. Or perhaps a sticky relay.

Solution found to headlight issue

A quick update on fixing a headlight that stays on...the load shed relay was stuck and needed to be replaced. Easy fix.