• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV VI Discontinued

Yup, clearly discontinued. Wonder what BMW's will be using as a replacement on the new bikes?

Built-in TFT navigation as they are already showing. I think if I had an RT w/ the GPS Prep I would definitely buy Nav VI it's perfectly functional and will be for the life of the motorcycle I'm sure enough. It does the job and is ideally located and bonus you can control parts of it w/ the wonder wheel.

I'm always willing to learn new stuff

Built-in TFT navigation as they are already showing. I think if I had an RT w/ the GPS Prep I would definitely buy Nav VI it's perfectly functional and will be for the life of the motorcycle I'm sure enough. It does the job and is ideally located and bonus you can control parts of it w/ the wonder wheel.

What functions of the Nav VI can you control with the "wonder wheel"?

Been There

... I started my bike from its winter slumber the other day and it started like it was parked yesterday not last November.
I brought the NavVI in to run an update and the Garmin Express app would not recognize that it was even connected to the computer
much less actually run an update. The battery charged up which was a small plus. Tried again to connect to the computer but still the
same issue. Oh well, not like I'm going very far on my first ride of the year. So yesterday I went for that first ride and for 311 klix the
screen showed an image of a road I wasn't on and stayed that way all afternoon. When I tried to turn the screen off with the
Wonder Wheel the screen kept coming back on. And the unit would not respond to touch. Anybody have an idea what's going on there?

I've returned three NAV VI units due to similar failures and yesterday the fourth, after a season of use, started to lose the mapping function. Now that I know it's not discontinued, I'll try to get another replacement. Very frustrating. Garmin will never see my money again.

GPS now integrated into 2021 R1250RT instrument screen

Starting with the 2021 models, BMW is integrating GPS into the new 10.25″ TFT instrument screen. The screen has a resolution of 1920×720 pixels. See it here: https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/2021-bmw-r1250rt-first-look.html
The RT fairing is modified to accommodate the new display and headlight arrangement. No word yet about a stand alone GPS unit but it might not happen since the new display apparently will be "standard", at least on the RT.

2021 R1250RT instrument display.jpg

What company are they using for the GPS firmware, base map, points of interest, etc. Garmin? Tom Tom? Rand McNally? Omnitracs? Motorola? Spireon? Which? Does anybody know?

If this system works like the ones I havae seen in several late model cars I would not be interested.

If the BMW/TomTom system is only connected through a smartphone app (BMW Connected), then is the entire system dependent on cellphone reception for accurate navigation?

If the BMW/TomTom system is only connected through a smartphone app (BMW Connected), then is the entire system dependent on cellphone reception for accurate navigation?

No, maps are downloaded to phone. But it IS dependent upon Bluetooth connection between phone and TFT. That connection is where the majority of problems arise with the Connected app. The media player and phone call component of the app fail to connect occasionally but the nav component struggles all the time. Communication with the developer resulted in a recommendation to start the app on the phone then power on the bike but wait at least one minute before starting the bike. How many users are willing to do that?

I suspect the issue is centered around the older version of BT that BMW is using coupled with improvement needed in the way the app is establishing the connection. I abandoned the app but now that I’ve had the TFT flashed at the 12k service I should try it again.

Best,
DeVern

If you mean cell tower reception for localisation, no, most medium to high end cell phones have GPS chips.
Cell phones can use both cell tower and GPS signals to get their localisation.

I'm still wondering how good the GPS antenna is on cells vs dedicated GPS devices like our Navs.
I've been in areas where my GPS would get no or very weak reception and would get confused.
Without cell tower signal the phone would be lost or deeply confused. Then again being able to use either signals might improve localisation.

I'm also wondering about the Bluetooth connection. It is easily affected by interferences. I use Waze with Android Auto in my car but through a USB cable.
It's mostly reliable. Will that work on the new bike?

If you mean cell tower reception for localisation, no, most medium to high end cell phones have GPS chips.
Cell phones can use both cell tower and GPS signals to get their localisation.

I'm still wondering how good the GPS antenna is on cells vs dedicated GPS devices like our Navs.
I've been in areas where my GPS would get no or very weak reception and would get confused.
Without cell tower signal the phone would be lost or deeply confused. Then again being able to use either signals might improve localisation.

I'm also wondering about the Bluetooth connection. It is easily affected by interferences. I use Waze with Android Auto in my car but through a USB cable.

Simple is better. Bluetooth is notorious for being troublesome.

From my days running enduro's-

14-053%20holder-300x300.JPG

I can't stop operating from a method that has worked for a long time :gerg

I do have to write bigger these days.

OM

My 2019 BMW 530eX 4-wheeler came with a short-term (1 year) Apply CarPlay. After a year, that went away, but BMW decided to give it away in January 2020 instead of charging every CarPlay user $80/year. Using Waze with iPhones in our BMW is a high-quality experience. It works well through Apple CarPlay. I have seen that Apple CarPlay (and perhaps the Android iteration of the same thing) comes standard on Honda GoldWings, and even on the newest Honda Africa Twin.

Considering how well it works, I surmise that BMW has figured out how to get Bluetooth to work well in the cars. However, our 2015 BMW 535dx had BT2.0. That was abysmal.

I wonder if BMW Motorrad/BMW NA have ever held any kind of consumer panels/focus groups to actually consider how riders are using its products and suggestions we'd have?

There are regular posts on ADV and R1200GS by owners trying to sortout connecting gizmos to or thru their TFT. My eyes just glaze over.

There are regular posts on ADV and R1200GS by owners trying to sortout connecting gizmos to or thru their TFT. My eyes just glaze over.

I’m trying to understand that the CAN-smart needed to integrate an accessory into a motorcycle has “flash” update available?
Shades of Windoze Batman.
OM

Cell phone coverage in the US is much more problematic. Clearly the highly populated areas have good coverage, the cell companies have done a good job of having pretty seamless coverage along the interstates and most traveled highways and well populated areas. But in many states, in in my state hilly Vermont in particular once you are off these major roads you cell coverage is much less likely. Here the cell companies claim coverage to about 95% of the people (this is disputed) but freely acknowledge that around 75% of the state land area does not have coverage.

The assumption that a Cell phone GPS capabilities is equal to a dedicated unit like Garmin is false.
The cell phone packaging does not allow equal antenna capability. This is most important as good signal strength from multiple satellites is critical for accurate location. Yes the cell phone "fuse data" from cell tower location to augment this shortfall, but again if it is only in contact with one cell tower does not mean much. A down loaded map looks nice but you do not know where you are! While I do not know specifically it is not clear to me that cell phone GPS imbedded reciever and algorithms are equal or let alone better that those units like Garmin. Note a significant portion of Garmin's business is now Aircraft navigation and instrumentation, Military GPS applications (much more accurate technology), ship board, etc.

Yes I much prefer Google maps for its great and constantly upgraded data base beyond physical location and I use this for planning, finding gas, points of interest, rooms often. However, when I'm riding, wandering new roads, figuring which way to turn next I find I need a real dedicated GPS.

I do not see the need for real GPS to be going away for riders like me.

ps I find that a GS rider, an adventure rider, that does not need a real GPS a bit of an oxymoron!

ps The map data base of my subaru (clearly to Garmin) is crap in rural areas

Even 4 wheel vehicles can be updated.

OM

Sure, if you want to spend the money. I just received a map update notice for my pickup, for which the vendor wants $149. I played that game once, only to discover that the maps were still incomplete or inaccurate compared to my Garmin or to Google Maps. For $149 I can buy a Garmin unit that comes with lifetime maps. So on a lot of vehicles updating the built-in Nav system is a losing proposition; you’re better off spending your money making sure your next vehicle comes with Car Play or Android Auto, or acquiring a decent Garmin unit.

Best,
DeVern

Back