Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NAV VI Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Some of us live in places where cell service is non-existent. Twenty five miles south or 50 miles north I can get a signal.
    Interesting, you own a cell phone and can't use it until you're that far from the house? Have you tried all the carriers for signal strength in your AO? I was under the impression some carriers had little to no dead zones in the US
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Interesting, you own a cell phone and can't use it until you're that far from the house? Have you tried all the carriers for signal strength in your AO? I was under the impression some carriers had little to no dead zones in the US
    Little to none? That works if you are in a live zone. But waaay over on the left coast, between San Francisco and LA, there are practically NO areas for service. Thought you might like to know

and as for the OP? my NAV V, has been telling me for quite some time that it won't update, and regularly, I'm riding on a road that just doesn't exist on my system(V),
    Good to know I don't have to shell out a Ton to get a newer, also obsolete system..
    I do have a Kyocera fone tho. They really are bullet proof!
    (relatively speaking, lest some geenius shoots his to disagree)

I was under the impression some carriers had little to no dead zones in the US
    There's still a lot of dead zones in the US.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

My service is AT&T. It allows wifi calling so I can use the phone in the house over wifi. And of course I have kept track of what carrier is doing what where. One not ought believe those glossed over coverage maps. They are, to put it as politely as possible, lies. Sure, they provide coverage for a very short distance in towns and along the interstate highways. But between towns and along the US and state highways coverage is spotty at best. I have of course not mapped it but do travel enough to guess that service is lacking in at least 50% and maybe as much as 75% of west Texas. And about the same in New Mexico. And Wyoming. And Montana. Welcome to rural America.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

My service is AT&T. It allows wifi calling so I can use the phone in the house over wifi. And of course I have kept track of what carrier is doing what where. One not ought believe those glossed over coverage maps. They are, to put it as politely as possible, lies. Sure, they provide coverage for a very short distance in towns and along the interstate highways. But between towns and along the US and state highways coverage is spotty at best. I have of course not mapped it but do travel enough to guess that service is lacking in at least 50% and maybe as much as 75% of west Texas. And about the same in New Mexico. And Wyoming. And Montana. Welcome to rural America.
    Interesting, I'll assume you've got people you know with other than ATT that have the same experiences.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Interesting, I'll assume you've got people you know with other than ATT that have the same experiences.
    Of course. This is a tight knit and informed community. There are spots 20 miles east of me where folks can get Verizon due to a tower south of Marathon. But generally AT&T and Verizon have similar coverage with only minor differences, while Sprint is virtually absent. Then there are the privately owned contract towers that add $$ to your bill regardless of your carrier plan even when you don't know it until you get the bill.

When you look at the broader areas in the rural west there are of course spots where one carrier exists while others don't. But the overall picture remains the same: vast areas without coverage. For a note of contrast, fifteen years ago when we traveled in Botswana, cell phone coverage was seemingly everywhere. They never had a decent land line system so when they developed a national phone system it was cellular.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I have always been surprised that BMW utilizes a proprietary Garmin Navigation device AND that it was not incorporated into a permanent TFT screen build. As pointed out, the small number just drives up the price. Perhaps they will make a major change in the 2021 models? Or...maybe they go towards some mounting system for an existing system, such as this new XT. Time will tell. The ADV crowd seems quite pleased with the XT, according to the initial reports I have been reading. I had just picked up the Garmin Zumo 595LM as a secondary unit to the Nav VI for rally events, but it is still sitting in the box after its arrival about two weeks ago. I think I'm about to pull the trigger and return it for an XT.

The coverage maps show theoretical coverage in a radius around the cell tower, but do not take into account terrain and buildings that block the signal. I've not seen any coverage maps that show actual measured signal strength.

The coverage maps for all the carriers show that our suburban area has their very strongest 4G LTE signals, but none of them work in our house. Outside, in one corner of our lot, we can sometimes get 1 out of 5 bars, but even there calls often drop. Nearby hills block the signals until we move about 300 yards down the road.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I was under the impression some carriers had little to no dead zones in the US
    Here in tropical North Dakota we get coverage over most of the state, but there are a lot of dead areas. I travel the eastern third of the state and the most populous part. In the north eastern part of the state there is a stretch of about 50 miles of road where I do not get coverage with Verizon. Farm country, tiny towns, thinly populated. As you go west and off the major highways it gets worse. I travel Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming every year and there are a lot of areas with no coverage, but then very little people too.

Although I remember standing at the top of a mountain pass in Montana and my cell phone rang. My dad just happened to call and we talked while admiring the view. I got off the phone and a friend looked at me and asked, "You have sell service up here?!"
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

We had AT&T when we moved from AK to Montana and got no service at our house. Verizon was the only other carrier and it offered sometimes spotty coverage. Verizon has gotten better over the years but two miles down the road I get no service. Living in the mountain west we often encounter areas with no cellular coverage.

And, North Dakota is not in the Tropics. Montana is in the Tropics.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Can we keep this thread on topic?

Is the NAV VI discontinued?

Or... does the new zūmo XT look like a good unit?

Cell coverage? YMMV!

Grazi!!

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhipper View Post
    Can we keep this thread on topic?

Is the NAV VI discontinued?

Or... does the new zūmo XT look like a good unit?

Cell coverage? YMMV!

Grazi!!

Yes the NAV VI is discontinued.

And yes, the Zumo XT looks good.

And yes, integrating other stuff like cell service with the GPS was asked about and the lack of cell service was relevant to the discussion. If not interested, scroll right on by.

wanderer
    The service coverage map provided by the major cell companies are LIES. Paul is correct.
    Here in Vermont we were promised 95% coverage ...and still many many of us complained.
    Last summer and enterprising state employee with some outside help took several cell phones using all of the cell services and drove all around the state, main roads and more importantly the back roads too. What he found that cell service is good on interstate and main roads and in the larger cities and towns but on a geograohic metric only about 25% of Vermont have cell coverage. If you use the population density metric it goes up to something over 50%. If you drive secondary roads it is 100% certain you will have lots of areas with no coverage.

Vermont is a very rural (population density low and broadly distributed ) state and we have lots of hills and mountains. Difficult transmit environment and low population does not economically justify ( cell company perspective) lots of cell tower in these valleys and small towns.

Pressure from state politicians have NOT been successful in getting better cell coverage.

Hint Cell phone GPS is not a good choice....get a real GPS for GS riding here.
    Last edited by vtbob; 03-11-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
    Hint Cell phone GPS is not a good choice....get a real GPS for GS riding here.
    I'm not wanting to open a debate on real GPS vs cell phone GPS. Just know that some phone apps (Google Maps and Calimoto are two that I use) allow you to download maps to your phone. They will give you GPS navigation even without a cell signal. It's what I do whenever I travel to Canada and don't want to pay the ridiculous $10/day that AT&T wants for service there.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerc60 View Post
    I'm not wanting to open a debate on real GPS vs cell phone GPS. Just know that some phone apps (Google Maps and Calimoto are two that I use) allow you to download maps to your phone. They will give you GPS navigation even without a cell signal. It's what I do whenever I travel to Canada and don't want to pay the ridiculous $10/day that AT&T wants for service there.
    No extra fees attached to my verizon acct when I traveled through Canada in 2018. That may have changed.

My NavIV worked flawlessly through BC/Yukon and in Ak.