• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV VI Discontinued

Good for you @PGlaves, you deserve whatever suits you !

Thank you. My life is to short to be happy with tech stuff that almost works most of the time, and I find enough of that off my motorcycles. I certainly don't want more when riding for enjoyment.

My Nav4 got me from the Mexican border to the arctic circle and back in 2018 as well as through 4 states on a trip last year.

I use google maps on the computer, plan the route I want to take, make a handwritten list of different routes along the way I've decided to travel, then plug those into the GPS favorites.

Like this next trip looks like this

My place to Tuba City for first night layover.
Tuba city to Moab on 191 through Monument Valley for second might layover
Moab to Rock Springs, Wyoming 3rd layover
Rock Springs to Jackson, Wy. for 4th layover.

Google lets me expand the maps, and I pick roads that are circuitous and not slabbing up and down highways.

I haven't in the past nor presently need tft, phone for directions. I also carry the pages of the states I'll be running through from my Natl Geographic map book as a backup plan should I decide to reroute along the way.

I use technology but no need of the latest and greatest. I don't have need of the wonder wheel, but it has been set up to control the Denali running lights which is fine/

I'll be interested to learn whether they have fixed the ghost screen problem. My R1250R has the GPS prep kit but even the dealer was reluctant to sell another Nav VI. Would be great if they get that sorted out.

That's good news. I'm guessing they finally fixed the ghosting problem.

I just talked to Garmin tech support. The rep told me that they quit making Nav VI last July (2020) but they feel they finally have a real solution to the "ghost touch" issue as of February 2021 - better than "replace it and hope for the best". Now, you can't actually buy a new one with the fixed screen (since they've quit making new ones), but if you have them replace a defective screen it'll come back with a new part number. The Garmin P/N of the one with the (fingers crossed) problem-free screen is 010-01054-64.

I doubt we'll ever see a Nav VII since BMW is going all in on the do-everything TFT now. So maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy a Nav 6 that will, at best, only need one replacement screen. The only things wrong with my Nav V are that the display is barely visible in full sunlight, and when it reflects my hi-viz jacket I can't see anything at all.

Interestingly, the "new" version also has a different software version on it. A guy in Germany on the K1600 board has one. His software version is 10.00 vs 5.80 on the current one.

I'm curious about others experiences with the screen ghost touch issue. My Nav VI has had intermittent issues with randomly switching screens and not being able to get it to remain in the map display. It has happened only a handful of times, but not recently. I'm wondering if I should pursue a replacement or not. If it's not presently acting up, will it be considered for warranty? For those who had theirs replaced, was it a consistent and present issue?

When mine started acting up, it was doing it repeatedly. If I were you, I'd be reporting it now. The warranty is long, but not forever. I also thought I read somewhere recently that the warranty in Canada is not as long as in the U.S., but you'd have to confirm that.

Last edited:
Went online to Garmin support and after some quick troubleshooting they are sending me a replacement. They had me try a reset followed by screen calibration. The unit would not calibrate at all so looks like the issue was as others have encountered with the screen being faulty.

The RMA has the new part number for the replacement unit. Old one is already with UPS on it way back.

Garmin has been very good with replacing the NAV VI and that is a good thing. After my 4th replacement I decided to sell the NAV VI and get a Zumo XT.
I like it a lot better as it also has topomaps and other features the VI doesn't. I really don't care about the wonderwheel as all the bike's information can be found on the TFT as well. YMMV

Nav VI and other issues

I am new to the MOA forum and the reason I opened t0 the forum page was to find out if there is any discussion regarding BMW dealership reviews. I couldn’t find any discussions regarding this issue but I did see this forum page regarding the discontinuance of the Garmin Nav VI. This is really a shock to me but then again I can’t say as I have followed BMW motorcycle as closely as I should. I didn’t even know that BMW had discontinued the K 1300 until I looked to see the new lineup of BMWs for the new production year and I saw that this great bike had been written off. So what is the plan regarding NAV VI discontinuance? Are they coming up with a new model that will still mount on the same harness? I saw that the wonder wheel is out? I have used the Garman on every trip since I purchased my RS back in 2018 and I would still like to continue using it and seeing it supported. It is great when you desperately need to find gas. That being said, back to what I had mentioned earlier. Does MOA forums have a discussion on the dealerships that sell BMW? I did a forum search and I could not find a thread. Does MOA have a liaison that communicates with BMW motorrad regarding our bike issues. I don’t recall if this is in my profile but I have been writing motorcycles since 1967.

When mine started acting up, it was doing it repeatedly. If I were you, I'd be reporting it now. The warranty is long, but not forever. I also thought I read somewhere recently that the warranty in Canada is not as long as in the U.S., but you'd have to confirm that.
Mark, all mine (currently on my 4th) were replaced without issue. IIRC, the first one was outside the stated warranty period, but it is my understanding that Garmin is honouring all, even those past the warranty cut-off point. My current one is over 1.5 years old now and, knock on wood, has not had any issues.

Garmin has been very good with replacing the NAV VI and that is a good thing. After my 4th replacement I decided to sell the NAV VI and get a Zumo XT.
I like it a lot better as it also has topomaps and other features the VI doesn't. I really don't care about the wonderwheel as all the bike's information can be found on the TFT as well. YMMV

Did anyone try to mount the XT on the 1600 default location?

Tony

New navi vi

BMW announced the release of a new, updated NAV VI to come soon. Announcement was made to all dealers on June 2.

Back