• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV VI Discontinued

Well, if it's any clue, Amazon has reduced its price on BMW Navigator VI (Part #77528355998) from $949 to $849.

A major indication of a big change is if the part number changes, I'd say.

People reported that the p/n for warranty replacement Nav VI's changed a while back. Given BMW's push for the navigation function integrated into the TFT/BMW Connecrted App, some wondered whether there'd ever be another BMW-branded Garmin GPS (one that would fit the GPS prep mounts on many BMW's). I hope this news is borne out.

Got my replacement Nav VI yesterday and got it updated and configured today. We'll see how it works now. It is the new S10-01054-46 part number. :thumb

BMW announced the release of a new, updated NAV VI to come soon. Announcement was made to all dealers on June 2.
Interesting, if true. But why not make a Nav VII instead of a Nav VI+ or whatever? My tea-leaf reading skills are not great, but considering the push for larger, all-singing/all-dancing TFTs and phone-based navigation it doesn't look like BMW is interested in continuing its relationship with Garmin. Also note that Base Camp development (of new features, as opposed to bug fixes) was discontinued in 2018.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the chassis (from the old Garmin 660, released in 2006) can't support any more feature development. And any new Nav has to use that one to remain compatible both with the old 4-button cradle and the GPS prep kit on newer models.

Same church, different pew!

I'm posting on this thread because it seems VERY active: My Garmin Nav VI is not showing up in the menus on my 2017 R1200 RT; i.e., if I scroll thru the menus pushing the menu button, "Navigation" doesn't show up -- there's no way to zoom, etc., unless I use my fingers on the Nav VI screen. The menu used to be there... can anyone tell me how to get it back? Please don't tell me to try a complete reset -- I'm in the middle of a cross-country trip and don't want to lose all my data! I am getting turn-by-turn instructions, just no "Navigation" menu.

I'm posting on this thread because it seems VERY active: My Garmin Nav VI is not showing up in the menus on my 2017 R1200 RT; i.e., if I scroll thru the menus pushing the menu button, "Navigation" doesn't show up -- there's no way to zoom, etc., unless I use my fingers on the Nav VI screen. The menu used to be there... can anyone tell me how to get it back? Please don't tell me to try a complete reset -- I'm in the middle of a cross-country trip and don't want to lose all my data! I am getting turn-by-turn instructions, just no "Navigation" menu.

There have been times when my bike wouldn’t recognize the NAV VI it usually dissipates after a few seconds from power up. I’ve been through four different units now. When one of them was failing hard, one of the symptoms was the inability of the bike to recognize the device. Bottom line, if your unit is doing this it’s failing, send it back and get a new one.

This thread often displays our desire to “fix it ourselves”. I get that, I’m the same way; however, when it comes to the NAV VI I’ve learned it’s best, to send it back and get a replacement. Fixing it at our level is simply not an option, and we will bring much unneeded frustration upon ourselves by attempting to do so. Garmin recognizes the issues and is willing to own up to their shortcomings. Their return policy is the gold standard, you’ll have a new one in your hands usually in about 6 or 7 days.

This issue comes up with both the Nav V and VI. It's usually due to bad connections between the Nav and the bike. The usual fix is to simply clean the contacts behind the Nav and on the mount.

This issue comes up with both the Nav V and VI. It's usually due to bad connections between the Nav and the bike. The usual fix is to simply clean the contacts behind the Nav and on the mount.

In my case, cleaning the contacts (alcohol and Q-tip) didn’t work… with two different devices. The problem was internal to the device.

NAV VI and Tracker

I just received a replacement Nav VI and it is the updated unit with "Make Life a Ride" startup screen. Everything is working fine except the Tracker function with the Smartphone Link app (on Android).When I try and send my tracking to an email address the Nav VI has the following error - "A server error occured. Try again later." The Weather Radar app on the Nav VI works with the Smartphone Link app, just the Tracker is not working.

I contacted Garmin support and the response I got was the Smartphone Link app is no longer supported, i.e. unable to help.

Has anyone else had the tracking app error?

I just received a replacement Nav VI and it is the updated unit with "Make Life a Ride" startup screen. Everything is working fine except the Tracker function with the Smartphone Link app (on Android).When I try and send my tracking to an email address the Nav VI has the following error - "A server error occured. Try again later." The Weather Radar app on the Nav VI works with the Smartphone Link app, just the Tracker is not working.

I contacted Garmin support and the response I got was the Smartphone Link app is no longer supported, i.e. unable to help.

Has anyone else had the tracking app error?

Figured out my issue. The Smartphone Link app had access to the phone permission disabled. Enabled it, and now it works.

I should have finished my troubleshooting before posting, but hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Today, I ordered the new 2021 version of the Nav VI, from Bob's BMW. It's p/n 77 52 8 504 069 (without mount),and it's still called Nav VI, but it's got somewhat different hardware, including a display with a "circular polarisation filter (CPOL)", and updated software. It has a few new features, like the ability to stream music, through the GPS, from a smartphone etc. That said, I didn't buy it for new features. I have a '15 GSA, and am currently using a Nav VI (the first warranty replacement for my original Nav VI)) in the nav prep mount. I quite like that setup, and I wanted to "future proof" it, if you will. We all know about the frequent failures of the Nav VI display, so I'm expecting (hoping?) this new unit will save me from that. Time will tell. Yes, it's a lot of money, though I did use BMW's EZRIDE15 discount code to save 15% (good until the end of June, I believe). That brought it down from $899 to $764. Shipping by FedEx Ground was free, and no sales tax, as Bob's is shipping it out of state (down the road to Virginia). I called before I placed the online order, and they had seven in stock. Don't know what I'll do with the one I have now (sell it, or keep as a backup).

Today, I ordered the new 2021 version of the Nav VI, from Bob's BMW. It's p/n 77 52 8 504 069 (without mount),and it's still called Nav VI, but it's got somewhat different hardware, including a display with a "circular polarisation filter (CPOL)", and updated software. It has a few new features, like the ability to stream music, through the GPS, from a smartphone etc. That said, I didn't buy it for new features. I have a '15 GSA, and am currently using a Nav VI (the first warranty replacement for my original Nav VI)) in the nav prep mount. I quite like that setup, and I wanted to "future proof" it, if you will. We all know about the frequent failures of the Nav VI display, so I'm expecting (hoping?) this new unit will save me from that. Time will tell. Yes, it's a lot of money, though I did use BMW's EZRIDE15 discount code to save 15% (good until the end of June, I believe). That brought it down from $899 to $764. Shipping by FedEx Ground was free, and no sales tax, as Bob's is shipping it out of state (down the road to Virginia). I called before I placed the online order, and they had seven in stock. Don't know what I'll do with the one I have now (sell it, or keep as a backup).

Mark - Isn't the Nav VI you already have eligible for the now common "warranty" replacement from Garmin, if it fails? If so, Garmin would probably send you the new 2021 version for free, wouldn't they? My general plan is to use my present Nav VI (#3) until another replacement becomes necessary - and only then contact Garmin.

Mark - Isn't the Nav VI you already have eligible for the now common "warranty" replacement from Garmin, if it fails? If so, Garmin would probably send you the new 2021 version for free, wouldn't they? My general plan is to use my present Nav VI (#3) until another replacement becomes necessary - and only then contact Garmin.

It would still be eligible for replacement but, as I understand it, it would be with a refurbished unit, not that "new" version. That said, some people have received - as a warranty replacement - what sounds like the new one, but only because Garmin didn't have stock of refurbished units at the time. I figured I'd buy a "new" version at some point, and only did it now because I could get 15% off MSRP.

I read through the this thread and can’t find a newer one for the Nav VI. My new version VI on my 2021 GSA just started acting up today on a ride. The screen won’t recognize my touch. The map display jumps all over constantly displaying different roads and street names and then it would only display an info screen with different items flashing, the position, and location boxes are flashing dashes.

This a huge disappointment since I knew I had the newest and “fixed” Nav 6. Has anyone heard of any issues with this new one?

I’ve had Garmin units all the way back to the original mono screen Streetpilots.

I read through the this thread and can’t find a newer one for the Nav VI. My new version VI on my 2021 GSA just started acting up today on a ride. The screen won’t recognize my touch. The map display jumps all over constantly displaying different roads and street names and then it would only display an info screen with different items flashing, the position, and location boxes are flashing dashes.

This a huge disappointment since I knew I had the newest and “fixed” Nav 6. Has anyone heard of any issues with this new one?

I’ve had Garmin units all the way back to the original mono screen Streetpilots.
Nope, but I recently bought a Zumo XT to replace my NAV VI. This was a replacement VI but haven't had any trouble with it in the 4000 miles I've had it. I received the replacement in September.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I have the “new” VI that was my 5th replacement unit under warranty. Had it for about 8 months and just got the screen problem again. So it doesn’t look like the new version fixed any of,the screen issues unfortunately

The nav VI is hot garbage

I've got two of the "new"versions between my three bikes. BOTH are acting up now. When this gets replaced it will be my eighth replacement. After many many hours on the phone I told them I'm tired of being a beta tester for Garmin and I want a full refund of my original purchase price. They offered to swap it for an XT but those don't interface with the bike which defeats the purpose for me. Second one is likely getting sold with my RT in the spring.

Its frustrating when Garmin's aviation gear is so damn good and this has been spoken tragically bad from day one and over several firmware and hardware iterations.

Last edited:
I got a Black Friday discount on a "new 2021, updated version" Nav VI from Bob's BMW. I haven't used it yet but they claimed it's been improved regarding the reliability issues. Time will tell I guess.

Back