Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: NAV VI Discontinued

Thanks. I was looking for info about where they get their traffic data from and how it compared with what Google does (Google bought Waze so you get speedtrap and accident data from them in near real time). Google has saved my bacon more than once by routing me around some HUGE, accident-related, traffic jams. If Garmin can do this to that degree of accuracy and timeliness, I'm going all-in.
    Last edited by pappy35; 03-12-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Edited for typos...
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

I've used google maps, waze, and Garmin Smart link app via Android. The Smart link app is no where close to the speed of information that is provided by Waze or Google maps. It has saved my butt though on long Interstate routes, both via traffic and weather reports.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On one ride, Smart Link warned me of a delay on my route about fifty miles away, and then just a few minutes later let me know that the delay had cleared. As I continued on my route, I received two more delay warnings at ever closer distances, but again, they quickly cleared up. As I passed through an industrial area in a small city, traffic stopped for a railroad switch engine shuttling cars across the state route, I received a fourth delay warning and realized that this railroad crossing was the cause of all the warnings. When the crossing gates went up, I was just barely across the tracks when I received a final notification that the route was clear. I thought that was a pretty fast response.

Google/Waze may have an edge because it is easy for users to report accidents, speed traps, and other hazards before they actually affect travel.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Seems that the provider of the data to the Garmin SmartLink is "HERE Traffic." Link to their website: https://www.adci.com/here/here-traffic/
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

R1150R-R75/6

Nav VI Update from BMW USA

Thank you for your patience in allowing me to further research your concerns with the discontinuation of the Navigator VI.

After further research, I can confirm that the Navigator VI has not been discontinued. There seems to be a conversion to a new part number on the Garmin website which is causing the Navigator VI to appear as "Discontinued." But don't worry, the Navigator VI is still available! We're sorry for any confusion this may have caused and are currently working to get this information updated on the Garmin website.

For your convenience, the BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

I hope you find this information helpful. Have a wonderful weekend!

Regards,

Heather Pargeon
    BMW Motorrad US

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    ... Garmin SmartLink is "HERE Traffic." ...
    John, HERE is owned by BMW, M-B, Audi-VW, Intel, Garmin, Bosch, Japan's national telephone company and many others. It started out as a US company Navteq, that pioneered and developed the largest share of car-based maps and navigation. That was bought by Nokia and then by the current large consortium.

I have a 2019 Ford with their Sync-3+ that uses it (HERE) for the OE Navigation unit as well as allowing me to run Google Maps, and Waze (owned by Google). This has allowed me to compare all 3 in real-time and my experience is that they all have pros and cons and no one is head-n-shoulders above the others. If I could only run one system for the car, it would be the OE Nav in the Ford, and for my RT the Garmin Nav-VI with SmartLink. Both allow far deeper routing and planning as well as much broader utilities while mobile. When I'm stationary, at home, I typically use Google Maps to do the rough planning and then my Nav-VI when I get past the practical abilities of Waze and Google Maps (which doesn't take long).

In side-by-side testing, I have seen different traffic situations where both Waze and the Nav-VI outperformed the other at different times. I've had both screw up routing in frustrating ways and both save me significant time in other situations. For simple Point-A to Point-B directions/routing all of them work well. For detailed route planning, especially multi-day trips to Rallies, etc., I much prefer the Nav-VI/Zumo option. YMMV
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Looks like not just a great unit, but also a good (comparative) price.
    4.3" is $400
    5.5" is $500

Local dealer here selling the 5.5" for $475, I may consider.....
    16 R1200RS, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Looks like the NavVI is still available at MAX BMW: https://parts.maxbmw.com/p/BMW__R120...528355998.html
    MOA #153274

Quote Originally Posted by wlwensel View Post
    Thank you for your patience in allowing me to further research your concerns with the discontinuation of the Navigator VI.

After further research, I can confirm that the Navigator VI has not been discontinued. There seems to be a conversion to a new part number on the Garmin website which is causing the Navigator VI to appear as "Discontinued." But don't worry, the Navigator VI is still available! We're sorry for any confusion this may have caused and are currently working to get this information updated on the Garmin website.

For your convenience, the BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Regards,

Heather Pargeon
    BMW Motorrad US
    By the way- ANYTIME I have called Garmin for support, I've gotten a HUMAN BEING who speaks ENGLISH and they have always been beyond helpful...whatever beyond helpful is...

Regards,

Heather Pargeon
    BMW Motorrad US
    Thanks for the update.
    When I click on my link in post #3 it no longer shows discontinued.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Everything great except...

... I started my bike from its winter slumber the other day and it started like it was parked yesterday not last November.
    I brought the NavVI in to run an update and the Garmin Express app would not recognize that it was even connected to the computer
    much less actually run an update. The battery charged up which was a small plus. Tried again to connect to the computer but still the
    same issue. Oh well, not like I'm going very far on my first ride of the year. So yesterday I went for that first ride and for 311 klix the
    screen showed an image of a road I wasn't on and stayed that way all afternoon. When I tried to turn the screen off with the
    Wonder Wheel the screen kept coming back on. And the unit would not respond to touch. Anybody have an idea what's going on there?
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Did you try to to update Garmin Express first, then the Map update?
    MOA #153274

Regards,

Heather Pargeon
    BMW Motorrad US
    Glad to hear that esp after buying a new one last year!
    Jerry2019 R1250 RT Carbon Black (current)
    Previously Owned; 96 Kaw 800, 99 Honda Ace 1100, 2000 Honda VFR 800, 2002 Honda Sabre 1100, 2002 Honda 954 RR, 2004 Kaw 1500, 2005 Kaw ZX12, 2007 Kaw ZX 14, 2007 HD Streetglide, 2009 Kaw Vulcan 1600; 2013 Yamaha FJR1300, 2009 HD Road King.

GPS that will connect to the BMW GPS Mount for Power

Will any other Garmin motorcycle GPS mount on my F850GSA using the BMW installed mount?

Quote Originally Posted by rwadamsidaho View Post
    Will any other Garmin motorcycle GPS mount on my F850GSA using the BMW installed mount?
    None of the current Garmin will fit into the mount but the older 660/665 will. The mount will only power them however.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT