• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Park city to Glacier Route/Lodging Advice

bobcenna1

My wife and I are planning a 2 up trip starting in Park City, UT to Glacier National Park in the second week of June. I used google maps with avoid highways option and it appears this might be a nice 2 day trip up and likewise coming back. Any thoughts on routes we should consider as an alternative or suggested lodging? My ride is a 1999 BMW RT which seems to work very well for us. My email address is bobcenna@hotmail.com if you wish to send info directly. I really appreciate whatever assistance can be provided. Much obliged!

Get into Wyoming and take route 189, then 89.
Some camping spots and some mom-and-pop motels along the way.
Two days will NOT be enough...

thanks blue oyster cult fan!

Get into Wyoming and take route 189, then 89.
Some camping spots and some mom-and-pop motels along the way.
Two days will NOT be enough...

I will check this out. we may have to do one day interstate and 1 day backroads. I love the avatar--first blue oyster cult album is one of the greatest ever.

2 days by freeway or US highways, 3-4 days if you want a fun ride. From PC take I-80 to I-84, get off at Mountain Green and take UT 167 (“Trapper’s Loop”) to UT39. Then UT39 over Monte Christo Pass to UT16 northbound. UT16 to UT30 then US30 through Cokeville, WY and north to Montpelier, ID. Continue northbound on US89 and US191 to Alpine Junction and Jackson, WY. Then WY22 over Teton Pass to Victor, ID and north on ID33 to Tetonia. Just past Tetonia take ID32 north toward Ashton but don’t go into Ashton—instead, take ID47–the Mesa Falls Scenic Highway—up to US20. Stay on 20 through Island Park then pick up US287 northbound, and consider a side trip to the visitor center at Hebgen Lake, which was created by an earthquake and landslide. Continue northbound on US287 to Helena and US89 to East Glacier.

Accommodations depend upon how far you wish to travel daily, but are available at many places both large and small along the route. It’s tourist and fishing season, so book early. And remember, the shortest distance between two points of happiness is a winding road.

Best,
DeVern

thank you

Thanks for this info. I am recently retired (a week ago today) and still in the mindset of timeframes! We will definitely be expanding the time we take on this trip. Much obliged for the assist.

The route DeVern described is lovely, but your gonna need more time.
Especially if you like to stop and take pictures.
And eat and goof around a little.

Thanks for this info. I am recently retired (a week ago today) and still in the mindset of timeframes! We will definitely be expanding the time we take on this trip. Much obliged for the assist.

One of the first things a rider learns is that a bike trip is about the travel; a car trip is about the destination. Big difference and you will learn to figure the length of your bike trip, then double or triple it.

Good luck.

In 1991 Voni and I took a 5 week trip to and from Alaska. After we got home we did a dog-&-pony show for a few local clubs. Several times I was asked, "What is the most important thing to take on a trip to Alaska?" My answer always was, "time".

Yea Royce!
You said it well.
Figure out the time you need then double it or triple it.
Makes it Sooo much more fun!
When there is no time pressure there's unlimited wacky things to do while on your ride.

Glacier National Park likely won't be open in the middle of June. It all depends on the amount of snow and some years it hasn't opened until the middle of July. Check the Parks website and that will tell you when it opens. You will need more time.

Another thing to consider this year is the affect of the Covid 19 virus. In Canada all National Parks have been closed, as well as the border to the US/Canada for tourists. This is not going to be a good year for bike travel and likely we will all have to stay close to home.

Back