• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rack to protect top of panniers? Seen it but can't find it! 2018 R1200RT

CaptRehkopf

I saw an advertisement for chrome racks that protected the top of the system panniers. They attached somehow to the bike and not the panniers. And they came in chrome. Main purpose for me is to keep my MotoFizz seat back from touching the top of the panniers.
Old age has gotten me and I can't remember where I saw the racks!
Of you can please help.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

Lee,
Thanks for the help, but somewhere there was an ad for these protectors and you could get them in chrome etc. and specifically stated that they were not attached to the system cases/panniers but the bike. I have looked on the Wunderlich and Horeig sites but didn’t see them.
Robert

Lee,
Thanks for the help, but somewhere there was an ad for these protectors and you could get them in chrome etc. and specifically stated that they were not attached to the system cases/panniers but the bike.
Robert

I remember seeing a ad or a post here.
Someone with a better memory than me will help :)

Luggage rack for the RT

What you really want is this. It is hand made and cost me over US$500+ but worth every single penny. Very strong mount system, all stainless. Rack is aluminum, powder coated. Unfortunately, it was an older guy in California and I heard through the grapevine that he stopped making them. Someone else should be doing it I'm sure. I'll never have a pillion rider as my wife doesn't like riding on motorcycles, so this luggage rack ideal for anything. It could hold 200-300 lbs if you needed it to. Fact is, a dry bag straps to it, and a small cooler, and it's very, very secure. I stopped with the top case as their too heavy, and I've tried to reduce the weight of what I carry on long trips so I can go faster in the curves :). Here's a pic on my 2018 RT "Red"
elevatedrightFront_OPT.jpg

What you really want is this. It is hand made and cost me over US$500+ but worth every single penny. Very strong mount system, all stainless. Rack is aluminum, powder coated. Unfortunately, it was an older guy in California and I heard through the grapevine that he stopped making them. Someone else should be doing it I'm sure. I'll never have a pillion rider as my wife doesn't like riding on motorcycles, so this luggage rack ideal for anything. It could hold 200-300 lbs if you needed it to. Fact is, a dry bag straps to it, and a small cooler, and it's very, very secure. I stopped with the top case as their too heavy, and I've tried to reduce the weight of what I carry on long trips so I can go faster in the curves :). Here's a pic on my 2018 RT "Red"
View attachment 77438

Thanks,
I know Pete the original maker and Jim who kinda took over. The mounts I’m talking about are not ‘seat positioned’ but directly over the panniers.
Again thanks for the help.
Robert

Yes I know. But I must have been wrong or there is some other manufacturer. Still looking though.
Robert

Well maybe. Here is what the site says: "They mount onto the original brackets for the Vario cases easily and securely, and with no need to drill the cases."

So is that the mounts on the frame or the mounts on the cases. Only the experienced know. Either way, if $640 is in the budget these look like a good thing.

Well maybe. Here is what the site says: "They mount onto the original brackets for the Vario cases easily and securely, and with no need to drill the cases."

So is that the mounts on the frame or the mounts on the cases. Only the experienced know. Either way, if $640 is in the budget these look like a good thing.

The description is a little confusing. The instructions show them mounted to the bags.
I'm not able to upload the instructions PDF.

$320 appear to be the price for a pair as you do not have a option to order left or right.

Yes I know. But I must have been wrong or there is some other manufacturer. Still looking though.
Robert

Robert if it was me I like the idea of the rack mounted to the bags.
I don't think you will get much weight transfer from your duffel to the bags because the seat supports most of the weight.
When mounted to the bike the racks might look odd when the bags are not on the bike.
Also the racks may get in the way when you mount and remove the bags if the racks are mounted to the bike.

$320 per side, your choice of finish: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/luggage-racks.html

I think a clear protective film would keep the bag off the paint with much less cost and weight.

That's what I added 15 years ago when I bought our RT. That stuff works great. I tagged the side of a gate one time and while it marked the plastic, it didn't do anything to the bag, nor have the millions of times the bag has been kicked by my wife getting on or off the bike.

For the smart asses that are going to make some comment about "then don't kick the bags", extremity numbness is an effect of neuropathy courtesy of chemotherapy.

Back