• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT Mirror Clips

oldcarman

On my RT the right mirror is loose. The bottom clip appears to be open more than the other two. Is there a way to fix them or is there any source for these?

Thanks, oldcarman jim

I went to the MaxBMW web site and looked at the "Mirror" fiche as suggested in the thread. The mirror assembly is available for $256 or...……….. you can buy the Base Plate, $72, which contains the clips. According to the thread you can remove and disassemble the mirror, being very careful not to break the mirror glass, and replace the base plate. An option to this might be to buy the base plate, remove the clip and install the new clip in the old base plate. The clip is riveted in so you would need to drill the rivet out, remove the clip, then use a small machine screw and nut to mount the new clip in the old mirror. I think I will order me a base plate and see which of the two options is easiest. Looking at the backside of the mirror assembly, it looks like I need to remove the mirror glass, not real easy, then the three screws holding the mirror base to the shell, then separate.. Maybe.

Attachments

• 20200309_133218_resized B.jpg
    20200309_133218_resized B.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 183
No, it is not necessary to remove the glass "just" to access the clips, but everything slides apart easily anyway, so you will.

I replaced the base plate on my left mirror a couple of weeks ago. (Mine is an R1150RT but the mirror looks exactly like the one pictured above.) Found a base plate for sale on eBay for about $30. I couldn't tell the difference between it and the old base plate (except for the dirt).

You need to pop the glass off the swivel to be able to get to the screws that hold the swivel onto the base plate. Pry gently with a flat blade screwdriver from different angles until it pops loose. The glass has a plastic backing plate with 4 plastic fingers that snap onto the swivel; you don't want to break them off.

Transfer the swivel to the new base plate, snap the glass back onto the swivel, reassemble the mirror and you're done. The whole job took me about 10 minutes.

Is there a way to fix them ...?

Jim, have you tried bending them back into position?

If you are looking at replacing the base plate it would seem you have nothing to loose.

Also, is the little circular wire ring still in place on the problem clip? If not you may be able to replace it - perhaps with a segment cut from a compression spring.

@oldcarman I just re-read your last post. You can separate the base plate from the shell without removing the mirror glass. Just remove 3 screws. You don't need to touch the screw that's going through the white plastic.

cheap repair

Hello, this is what I did bent the clips back into shape then i placed a piece of double sided sticky tape in the hole as a cushion reassembled and has it been ok since, and yes I have taken it off a few times,for service , just make sure the little bit of sticky tape has not been dislodged as useual hope this assists Jimmy

A few years ago I replaced the right hand one when it fell off.
I had tried to bend the tabs but not too successfully it seems.
I had put fishing line on a fairing screw and mirror screw so the mirror just dangled until I could pull over.
It is very easy to replace and better peace of mind.
The new clips are very tight when you put the mirror back on.
Subsequently, gravity pulled the bike down and I had to replace the whole mirror assembly anyway.
:banghead
sigh.....

Yes the circular ring is still in place on the bad clip and I did try re- bending the clips back in place but it didn't help. Definitely worth a try though. I've ordered a base plate and it should be in this coming week. Thanks for the info on disassembly. jim

I got some clear aircraft seam tape and I tape them on. Sometimes I just use blue tape. I messed with the female part of the attachment mechanism and tried to tighten them. Very difficult and only mildly successful.

By taping the seams it takes much more force to knock them off when splitting lanes as well. They are also totally vibration free.

I received my new clip assembly yesterday. It really was only 30 minutes to take it apart and reassemble. First remove the three screws attaching the black plastic mirror assembly from the mirror housing. Next, one pic shows the plastic tabs holding the mirror glass to its assembly. They have to be carefully pushed back with your finger or flat blade screwdriver to release the mirror glass. With the mirror glass removed you have access to the next three screws holding the mirror glass swivel to the clip assembly. Remove these and reassemble with the new clip assembly.

20200322_160319_resized B.jpg20200322_160036_resized B.jpg

Back