• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Broken Tabs

Funny, (funny odd not funny Ha Ha) I had the exact same thing happen to me, same year RT too, It really did not take much and mine broke coming off. A few suggestions here but I don't see anyone who actually fixed it or did I mis read something. I like the magnet but I had not thought of reinforcing it with drywall tape or similar, good idea.

Mine is fixed.

Bent a small piece of plastic to use as a backer to the broken tab. I then used Plastaid to glue it all together.

I found it helpful to use the triangular battery cover to align the tabs while I glued them and the glue set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This stuff works pretty good with ABS plastics. Black in color.

+1 for repairing cracks in body panels. I have used this with fiberglass to repair the backside of body panels. Apply a layer of ABS glue, then tack a piece of fiberglass in place spanning the crack, then apply another generous layer of glue on top of the fiberglass.

But the strength comes from the fibers, not the glue. So repairs need backing material in addition to the glue, or they will just break again. Ideally, you want to orient the fibers so that they are in tension when the load is applied to the location of the cracked plastic. If I were trying to repair the tab using this method, I would cut some random-strand fiberglass into a narrow strip (like tape), and then use superglue to tack the tab back in place, and then (with the rubber grommet removed) slather the whole tab with abs glue and wrap around the entire circumference of the break with my fiberglass "tape" and re-apply more glue. When it dries, you would need to auger out the hole for the grommet.

This stuff works pretty good with ABS plastics. Black in color.

Reading the application for this does not sound like the right stuff. Says it is fir non pressure interference fit pipes. A broken tab is surely a polar opposite to that. If anyone has used it with success I stand corrected. I would like to hear somel replies with successful re5ults on this specific problem.

Mine is fixed.

Bent a small piece of plastic to use as a backer to the broken tab. I then used Plastaid to glue it all together.

I found it helpful to use the triangular battery cover to align the tabs while I glued them and the glue set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you, I will probably try some form of backer, I don't really follow the battery cover part though.

Reading the application for this does not sound like the right stuff. ...

ABS glue is often used for plumbing. Generally "black pipe" is for waste lines, and made from ABS plastic. Waste lines are not pressurized, unlike supply lines that use PVC pipes, and use PVC cement. The black ABS adhesive is hard to find anymore, because most projects can use a universal cement that works on both ABS and PVC.

So, all you really need to know is what type of plastic you are trying to repair. The ABS glue is just a solvent in a binder that temporarily melts the surface of your plastic, and then evaporates and leaves behind a hard skin that is bonded to the original material. If you have a crack, the crack will still be the weak point in the part. But if you bond some fiber to the part, then the strength of the composite fiber-and-binder will be more than the original part.

Cap

Put a dab of silicone grease in the hole in grommet before reinstalling, makes for easier removal next time

Put a dab of silicone grease in the hole in grommet before reinstalling, makes for easier removal next time

And grind down the sharp edges on the poorly formed parts that insert into the grommets. I have done this on all of our K and F bikes over the past 35 years or so.

Silicone Lubricating Grease

Not sure what is the best solution, my experience with repairing these are hit or miss but suggest you lubricate the rubber grommets each time you remove any panel like this, I use Super Lube 92003 Silicone Lubricating Grease, 3 oz, available on amazon. Typically these things break because the rubber is dried out and these plastic tabs are not made to have much force applied to them.

Gromets

After the piece holding the grommet is reattached - before engaging whatever sticks in the grommet - reduce the diameter. I dislike the system of these "mushroom" things stuffed into those grommets even when the grommets are in a hole in a steel piece welded to the frame. So on my K75s and R1150 and others, I always sand down the male portion to make it smoother, smaller, and easier to insert and remove.

I like to put a little silicone or dielectric grease on these grommets ease the slid in process. A very small electrical ties wrapped through the center of the grommet will keep the grommet in place.

I removed the lateral body panel. Initially used JB Weld A&B to attach broken tab. Then supported it with some metal and additional JB Weld. Pics are attached.

Attachments

• 20200412_101841.jpg
    20200412_101841.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200412_101926.jpg
    20200412_101926.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200412_102033.jpg
    20200412_102033.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200412_102104.jpg
    20200412_102104.jpg