• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS removal of air box lid.

mcmlcccvrs

Okay. I know I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I cannot get the lid up enough to slide the air filter out-I've tried and tried. There is a wiring harness between the frame and the lid and it just won't give. Not only do I want to check the filter, I also want to remove the air box unit to access the fuel pressure regulator to change the hose the goes to #4 throttle body. Really guys, I am at the end my rope. HELP!

Tom

It's a bear... I found that having more than one set of hands helps. I also remember that releasing the gas tank from the rear mounts allowed for just that much more give (but it's been a while since I've done it).

I'm very sure that you really have to loosen and pull back the gas tank to get the top of the air box out, at which point the bottom is easy.

The tank is off, guys. I'm in the process of reassembling after having done spline check including removal of clutch.

Find the wire ties that keeping the interfering bundle from slipping up beside the backbone. Remove them. Move it. Lift top. Extract filter.

It's a bear... I found that having more than one set of hands helps. I also remember that releasing the gas tank from the rear mounts allowed for just that much more give (but it's been a while since I've done it).

Thank you. I've seen this but he's got more room above the lid to begin with than I do.

Find the wire ties that keeping the interfering bundle from slipping up beside the backbone. Remove them. Move it. Lift top. Extract filter.

Thank you. I believe this is probably my best chance. The harness goes to a plastic box (not the ECU) just aft of the fuel tank that has relays in it. It passes through a large u-shaped grommet.

While bending, pushing and muscling all the crap out of the way so you can perform this simple maintenance job, keep repeating to yourself "it was designed by German engineers who excel at creating precision designs to exacting standards."

While bending, pushing and muscling all the crap out of the way so you can perform this simple maintenance job, keep repeating to yourself "it was designed by German engineers who excel at creating precision designs to exacting standards."

Got it! Stay positive as this was all done to my benefit not detriment.

Well, I finally got the air element out. I did see what the issue was with respect to the wiring harness being right on top of the lid but that wasn't the problem. The first picture shows the element before I completely removed it and you should be able to tell just by looking at the element why I had such a struggle. The second picture shows the element stood on the end that was in the back of the air box. Figured it out? And it was as a result of something that was done by the last moron :banghead who was in the air box.

Tom

OYuyCM.jpg

XFX1Ya.jpg

Well, I finally got the air element out. I did see what the issue was with respect to the wiring harness being right on top of the lid but that wasn't the problem. The first picture shows the element before I completely removed it and you should be able to tell just by looking at the element why I had such a struggle. The second picture shows the element stood on the end that was in the back of the air box. Figured it out? And it was as a result of something that was done by the last moron :banghead who was in the air box.

Tom

Doh! That would sure make a job out of getting it back out. I'll bet the guy who did that was cussing BMW for making inserting the new filter so hard. :laugh

Back