Thread: 2016 r1200rt - Hard start after washing?

2016 r1200rt - Hard start after washing?

Whenever I wash the bike, it has to crank and crank and crank, and when it does start, i smell gas, like it was flooded. Every start after that is fine. Anybody else experiencing this?

Quote Originally Posted by thumpower View Post
    Whenever I wash the bike, it has to crank and crank and crank, and when it does start, i smell gas, like it was flooded. Every start after that is fine. Anybody else experiencing this?
    You are somehow getting water on ignition parts causing a lack of or intermittent spark. This partially floods the engine and when it does start you are smelling the extra rich exhaust.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm always careful to never use the high-pressure water when washing the bike - I just want to get it wet, not try to blast anything off....

YMMV,
    Ski

washing bike

I have not had to worry bout spraying down a bike since the 70's dirt bikes. Every bike I have had since then has been apparently impervious to the water hose. I would think they could do better than this

I have not had to worry bout spraying down a bike since the 70's dirt bikes. Every bike I have had since then has been apparently impervious to the water hose. I would think they could do better than this
    Well then, think specifically where you are spraying that might effect spark to the spark plugs. This is not a typical problem so something is abnormal. Maybe around a stick coil not firmly seated. Or elsewhere where water will affect ignition. Then maybe do a test with a spray bottle to identify the location. Troubleshoot.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have a 2016 and have never had an issue.

A couple of times a year I use a garden hose with a nozzle and that has been plenty of pressure, but starting has not been a problem. The other times that I give the bike a quick cleanup, I use a bucket of warm water and a cloth to wipe it down.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

RK Ryder
    I had a similar issue a couple of times (minus the gas odours). Turned out that one of the switches on the dash had corroded wires and that shorted everything out until the wires dried out.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    rallyvolunteers@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I had a similar issue a couple of times (minus the gas odours). Turned out that one of the switches on the dash had corroded wires and that shorted everything out until the wires dried out.
    Good point; thum, you should try washing it and avoiding getting the dash wet. If it solves the problem you can begin checking those switches and connections.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '18 Street Triple RS, 2020 R1250R (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

Do you have the same problem after riding in a heavy rain?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    It ain't normal!
    I have washed my '14 at high pressure car washes when on the road more than a few times. Never gentle with the water hose at home, beyond I cannot bring myself to blast away too much at the dash ( especially speakers ). Never had a problem with starting. And yes, I will flog myself after posting this for the use of the high pressure. To appease those that know better.....
    I would first inspect the spark plug covers and make sure the coil is seated properly.