Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened w/ BMW of Buffalo?

What happened w/ BMW of Buffalo?

A few years ago at the Rally in Hamburg, I thought there was a BMW Auto dealer there that was going to expand and offer BMW Motos as a well. Was I misinformed or did the deal go belly up? Anyone know the details?

From What I heard

From what I have heard about Towne starting the BMW motorcycle franchise, BMW pulled the plug because the show room Towne was building was not large enough to suit BMW Motorrad.

Towne had the franchise and was ready to go ahead with it, showroom space was not big enough for BMW.

On another note my BMW car shop repair manager told me they had built their repair shop according to BMW specs only to be told to tear up the tile floor because it was the wrong pattern/color. They had used an older spec sheet. BMW could care less about the dealer's cost to install then tear out the floor. It cost $35k to redo the floor to make BMW happy.

Just two stories about the mindset of BMW.

We must buy our bikes in boutique clone shops now.

Of course, this does not apply to shops who somehow have survived the BMW pretty purge started in 1994. St.

In contrast to the BMW dealer requirements, a motorcycle repair shop near where I live is now a Moto Guzzi dealer. Their bikes are in an area next to parts and repair. Concrete floor, no signage, nothing but the bikes. Oh, and they offer demo rides...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    In contrast to the BMW dealer requirements, a motorcycle repair shop near where I live is now a Moto Guzzi dealer. Their bikes are in an area next to parts and repair. Concrete floor, no signage, nothing but the bikes. Oh, and they offer demo rides...
    Where is this place?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Also a bait shop, too ... right?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Are they going to start selling BMWs at Home Depot?
    om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    om
    Hope so....Veteran's get a 10% discount!
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by billspurgeon View Post
    Where is this place?

Bill
    I'd like to know also. I just rode with an older gentleman this weekend [ group ride ] that was on a 2019 V85tt. Nice bike, he mentioned two dealers in Phx and one in Prescott when I inquired where I may take a look at one.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

For me

As for me, I really don't give a hoot the showroom is X size or that there is a dedicated parts department, clothing department. In other words I don't care about having a boutique. experience when buying either a bike, car, anything.

I want a fair price, good service, decent people to deal with.

BMW now thinks all of it's motorcycle and car dealerships should look the same. So, the pressure to buy into the program plus, the money needed to make things meet the BMW standards is just ridiculous. No wonder shops are closing and few are opening.

BMW also has a habit of when a new shop opens, they ship the bikes they have not been able to sell to the new dealer.

Nope, I liked BMW a whole lot better when Butler and Smith along with the small shops were in business. My dealer, could order the bikes he wanted, kept his inventory down, kept his costs down. Made a comfortable living and did not tear his hair out. He provided EXCELLENT service. Not that the modern shops cannot provide excellent service, many do.

Who in their right mind would now invest a ton of money to open a shop in a market that is declining? Who in their right mind would continue to live on the knife's edge running a shop which has expensive inventory mandated by BMW? No wonder dealerships are closing and no one is jumping to open one. St.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    om
    In 1978 in my very small SE Colorado home town, BMWs were sold at the Coast to Coast store.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

[QUOTE=STEVENRANKIN;1195940]As for me, I really don't give a hoot the showroom is X size or that there is a dedicated parts department, clothing department. In other words I don't care about having a boutique. experience when buying either a bike, car, anything.

BMW now thinks all of it's motorcycle and car dealerships should look the same. So, the pressure to buy into the program plus, the money needed to make things meet the BMW standards is just ridiculous. No wonder shops are closing and few are opening.

BMW also has a habit of when a new shop opens, they ship the bikes they have not been able to sell to the new dealer.

Nope, I liked BMW a whole lot better when Butler and Smith along with the small shops were in business. My dealer, could order the bikes he wanted, kept his inventory down, kept his costs down. Made a comfortable living and did not tear his hair out. He provided EXCELLENT service. Not that the modern shops cannot provide excellent service, many do.

Who in their right mind would now invest a ton of money to open a shop in a market that is declining? Who in their right mind would continue to live on the knife's edge running a shop which has expensive inventory mandated by BMW? No wonder dealerships are closing and no one is jumping to open one. St.[/QUOTE]

Tom Wood of Indianapolis is one person who would. They are suppose to be open soon.
    MOA #46783

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Imagine dropping off your bike for service, and finding out the dealer has the wrong floor tiles installed. Oh the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    BMW also has a habit of when a new shop opens, they ship the bikes they have not been able to sell to the new dealer. .
    They did that in Buffalo before the New Motorcycle Addition was ready!

I was there again a few months ago and the building is awesome! I really wanted to ride a new bike down to ground level in the Super Cool Elevator!

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    As for me, I really don't give a hoot the showroom is X size or that there is a dedicated parts department, clothing department. In other words I don't care about having a boutique. experience when buying either a bike, car, anything.

Who in their right mind would now invest a ton of money to open a shop in a market that is declining? Who in their right mind would continue to live on the knife's edge running a shop which has expensive inventory mandated by BMW? No wonder dealerships are closing and no one is jumping to open one. St.
    What? You mean they are acting like Harley Davidson Corp.? All we need now is every BMW dealership must be on an Interstate with a 150' sign you can see for 5 miles in both directions, or it loses its dealership. And which version of the logo needs to be on the marquee?

Harley

There used to be a Harley shop in Naples, Fl that had absolutely no motorcycles, just jackets, helmets, etc, all with the Harley logo.
    There were two great BMW shops, one in Grand Prairie another in Fort Worth Texas that were small and had great service departments. I bought my first R100S from the Grand Prairie shop new, $3,800.
    The one in Grand Prairie closed when the owner died, the Fort Worth one lost his franchise because he didnt meet BMW showroom specs. He gave up sales of new ones and became a repair shop.
    If I ever find a great deal on a S100RR, Im buying used.