• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What would you like on your next motorcycle?

I would like to be able to pull up to a gas pump and not have to pull out my wallet and go through the CC drill.
Ski Areas now have this system where you have a card with a chip in it. You pull up in the lift line, your chip gets read and the gate swings open, no ticket checker.
I'd like to pull up to the pump open the gas cap, grab the nozzle and start pumping and leave.
Thats what I want!

I think some countries have pumps where there's no need to pull out your credit card.

I think some countries have pumps where there's no need to pull out your credit card.

Here in the U.S. there are plenty of pumps where you don't need to pull out your credit card. I have Google Pay set up on my Android phone and most pumps have tap to pay. Since my phone is almost always clamped to my handlebar it's almost always more easily accessible than my wallet.

But it's not automatic just pull up to the pump and start gassing up. There are some technical and security hurdles before that can become a reality. Reading my lift ticket from long distance (10 feet): okay. Reading my credit card from that distance. Um, no.

An adventure K75 with a 300 mile Randolf tank, modern suspension, integrated LED driving lights, ABS, TPS, heated grips and 25K valve inspect.

Probably need the rare scout fairing:)

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Heated seat option

I would like a heated seat option for the R series GS models. Why this has not been offered is a mystery to me. There are other, more expensive options on these bikes that serve no purpose for the average rider, where a heated seat helps everyone.

Wait, what? The GS does not have heated seats? Wow. I did not know that.

Maybe it is because GS riders do a lot of standing while riding and BMW felt that it would be a wasted option. :dunno

Less weight, better lighting, a seat you can ride at least 600 miles.
Also a monkey who sits on the handle bar and serves soft serve ice cream.

Wait, what? The GS does not have heated seats? Wow. I did not know that.

Maybe it is because GS riders do a lot of standing while riding and BMW felt that it would be a wasted option. :dunno

Most of the models do not have a heated seat option.

The best of old and new

An 800cc shaft-driven counterbalanced boxer twin, made in Germany (or Japan). Conventional forks, analogue instruments, cruise control, abs, hydraulic valves, automotive style dry clutch with square cut splines, single throttle body, flat seat, oil bath rear splines, fairing and luggage option and a tool kit. Standard lighting components that can be purchased at any auotomotive parts store.

A modern day R80, in other words.

All of the comfort & tech features of R1200RT, but at 520lbs wet, side cases included:

Meet BMW T1000GT:

948cc smooth triple, 115HP/92ftlbs torque
FD: belt, w/ 50K mile recommended change interval (lighter, essentially maintenance-free, quiet, efficient power transfer, clean)
Tech: ASC, ABS Pro, Dynamic ESA, Ride Modes, TPMS
Comfort: trimmed fairing, electric full height screen, heated seats/grips, CC, RT-like ergonomics, top-load side cases that don't look like boxes.
Styling: Sport Tourer fully competent in both roles w/ a P:W better than R1250RT, but full on comfort-capable. Visual styling will emphasize the sport side.

No brand makes this bike and if there is one recurrent theme here it's reducing curb weight w/o sacrificing performance. The above model will outperform R1250RT as a sport bike but will function as a touring machine every bit as well, making it the best possible all-arounder, upseating R1250RT because of its desirable 90lb weight reduction. It won't be cheap because meeting all of these requirements will cost more for sure, but I think it's very doable, and I am ready to pre-order!

My requirements are pretty basic.

Essentials:

- 700-800 cc engine (not boxer), fuel injected, liquid-cooled
- shaft-drive transmission
- ABS
- multi-terrain capable
- low-suspension/seat option
- decent underseat storage w/hinged seat
- decent wind protection from adjustable windscreen
- <425 lbs wet weight
- fuel efficient 60+mpg
- range 300+ statute miles
- affordable new <$10K

Desirable options:

- heated grips
- switchable ABS
- cornering ABS
- integrated oem rear and side racks
- integrated aux power bus
- ???

Hydrostatic or electric front wheel drive that can be variably engaged as needed.

Tires that convert from street to knobbies at the push of a button.

Hydrostatic or electric front wheel drive that can be variably engaged as needed.

Tires that convert from street to knobbies at the push of a button.

Ha! :D

Hydrostatic drives are very good in certain applications, especially those where torque is far more important than HP (tractors, for instance.) But there is too much parasitic power loss for use in vehicles used primarily for transportation, where speed and fuel efficiency are more important.

But the e-drive is definitely worth exploring. For a while now I’ve been intrigued by the possibilities of electric front drive, as part of a hybrid drive system. I see real potential there, especially for dual sport/adv bikes. Is anybody working on this?

And I will settle for a nice long-lasting 50/50 tire!

An 800cc shaft-driven counterbalanced boxer twin, made in Germany (or Japan). Conventional forks, analogue instruments, cruise control, abs, hydraulic valves, automotive style dry clutch with square cut splines, single throttle body, flat seat, oil bath rear splines, fairing and luggage option and a tool kit. Standard lighting components that can be purchased at any auotomotive parts store.

A modern day R80, in other words.

Sounds interesting to me, but … what would such a machine weigh? If over 500 lbs, I am likely not interested.

Hydrostatic drives are very good in certain applications, especially those where torque is far more important than HP (tractors, for instance.) But there is too much parasitic power loss for use in vehicles used primarily for transportation, where speed and fuel efficiency are more important.

But the e-drive is definitely worth exploring. For a while now I’ve been intrigued by the possibilities of electric front drive, as part of a hybrid drive system. I see real potential there, especially for dual sport/adv bikes. Is anybody working on this?

Try - https://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-450
I would like to see one in person.
OM

For me, anyway, this is only for pulling yourself out of a stream or muddy patch, or up a rocky slope.

Yamaha had a working hydrostatic system designed/built by Ohlins for their YZ426 dirt bikes, maybe.... 15 years ago. Probably too expensive for production on a bike like that.

Electric might be better, but there's precious little better for traction in slippery going than a hydrostatic drive (many years of golf course maintenance experience talking here...)

An outfit named Christini has a mechanical system that is a maintenance nightmare.

Back