Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What would you like on your next motorcycle?

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I like the idea of a separate GPS unit for people who keep their bikes a long time.
    If the unit is built in you're stuck with it forever.

On my last car I got a built in GPS, but ten years from now that unit will probably seem like a old 12" black and white TV.

Attachment 77424
    Good point What I am suggesting in a much larger display 7"x9" or something like that. A general purpose display. Someting color, very bright, very reflection /sun resistant. That display would serve as both the traditional speedo/ tac and other normal info we not enjoy and also be switchable via wobble wheel to GPS, and other functions, WWW, entertainment, texting etc. This would allow the display, via software updates, to keep up with rapid technology changes

GPS, once you have the satellite receiver, etc function is really just software data base that can (and should be updated frequently)...now with 5G coming more data and info will be integrate in to GPS. Our smart phones will see it first, but BMW if they have a large flexible display can link with our smart phone and give us a lot more info including info from other vehicle, road conditions, interection traffic etc etc.

IF we had this type of display today we could do Google map searches for best hotels, best diners, points of interest right now right on that screen, pandora etc...5 G and other advance will give us even more.

This very flexible larger display will allow that to keep current and not be anchored to two motorcycle and GPS display that will certainly be obsolete in the next very few years.

Of course if we get in in data overload...just wobble back to speedo and tac and enjoy the scenery!

Quote Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
    Good point What I am suggesting in a much larger display 7"x9" or something like that. A general purpose display. Someting color, very bright, very reflection /sun resistant. That display would serve as both the traditional speedo/ tac and other normal info we not enjoy and also be switchable via wobble wheel to GPS, and other functions, WWW, entertainment, texting etc. This would allow the display, via software updates, to keep up with rapid technology changes
    "Entertainment?" "Texting?" Personally I think it would be better not to have this entertainment center on a motorcycle. I think it is preferable to pay attention to the road and surroundings. Unless of course it was disabled if the motorcycle were moving. But then folks would get rear ended at traffic signals when they become engrossed while waiting for the light to change.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    A suitable replacement for the K1300S - big power, less weight, shaft drive, sport tourer.

Good topic!
    bingo. no boxer engine. an "S1000S"
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Seems like here on the forum, new purchase postings are frequently for an older bike like a K-Bike/Airhead or Wethead. One of the things I would be looking for is tubeless tires. Another would be a seat that would be comfortable from the start.
    Other considerations-
    Better touring capabilities?
    Better dirt or dual use performance?
    Something a lot lighter and easier to move at slow speeds- or in the garage?
    Less (or more) technological gadgets?
    Perhaps going electric?
    Ability to service on your own?
    What are you thinking for your next ride?
    OM
    Me...I want to see myself on my next M/C.

Other than that, less is more. Less electronics (which usually fail because of software) and no, not electric. (There's a real down side to electric power, battery disposal. But that's another topic, not for this thread.) If an alternate fuel source, then a hydrogen cell based system, with a nationwide refueling system in place.
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    "Entertainment?" "Texting?" Personally I think it would be better not to have this entertainment center on a motorcycle. I think it is preferable to pay attention to the road and surroundings. Unless of course it was disabled if the motorcycle were moving. But then folks would get rear ended at traffic signals when they become engrossed while waiting for the light to change.
    Yes Keeping things simple is a good idea. But the our world is not frozen time (those some times I feel I am) and technology and youth drive change.

Just look what smart phones and car and truck technology is now inplace..contributing to sales. Tesla, Audi are leading. BMW auto manufacturing is not the leader but will certainly follow sooner or later.
    Some subset will evolve to motorcycles....and that is what I'm talking about.

P Monk

I agree with Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I used to say the same thing to my brother.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

What I'm Looking For in my Next Bike

Great Seat
    Great Styling
    Light Weight
    Great Sounding Motor
    All Day Comfort

I guess I already have those in both my R1150RT and R90s. OK, the RT isn't exactly light at 600+ lbs., but it DOES feel 100 lbs. lighter when I let out the clutch. I've had my eye on the new R1250RS, but when I start to get serious the price pushes me back and I think, "why get another bike that I'll have to spend even more money on a decent seat and luggage?"

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    I've had my eye on the new R1250RS, but when I start to get serious the price pushes me back"
    Look for a used R1200RS.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

LED Lighting
    Comfortable seat

I shouldn't have to spend $200 to upgrade my $20K+ bike to have decent headlights (one area that HD has advantage over BMW)

I also shouldn't have to $$$ for a reasonable seat.

Ski

Nick Kennedy

A gas pump " Chip reader"

I would like to be able to pull up to a gas pump and not have to pull out my wallet and go through the CC drill.
    Ski Areas now have this system where you have a card with a chip in it. You pull up in the lift line, your chip gets read and the gate swings open, no ticket checker.
    I'd like to pull up to the pump open the gas cap, grab the nozzle and start pumping and leave.
    Thats what I want!

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    I would like to be able to pull up to a gas pump and not have to pull out my wallet and go through the CC drill.
    Ski Areas now have this system where you have a card with a chip in it. You pull up in the lift line, your chip gets read and the gate swings open, no ticket checker.
    I'd like to pull up to the pump open the gas cap, grab the nozzle and start pumping and leave.
    Thats what I want!
    I think some countries have pumps where there's no need to pull out your credit card.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think some countries have pumps where there's no need to pull out your credit card.
    Here in the U.S. there are plenty of pumps where you don't need to pull out your credit card. I have Google Pay set up on my Android phone and most pumps have tap to pay. Since my phone is almost always clamped to my handlebar it's almost always more easily accessible than my wallet.

But it's not automatic just pull up to the pump and start gassing up. There are some technical and security hurdles before that can become a reality. Reading my lift ticket from long distance (10 feet): okay. Reading my credit card from that distance. Um, no.

An adventure K75 with a 300 mile Randolf tank, modern suspension, integrated LED driving lights, ABS, TPS, heated grips and 25K valve inspect.

Probably need the rare scout fairing

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI

Heated seat option

I would like a heated seat option for the R series GS models. Why this has not been offered is a mystery to me. There are other, more expensive options on these bikes that serve no purpose for the average rider, where a heated seat helps everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerc60 View Post
    Here in the U.S. there are plenty of pumps where you don't need to pull out your credit card. I have Google Pay set up on my Android phone .
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878