• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What would you like on your next motorcycle?

How about fenders that actually keep crap off the bike, and an oil filter that doesn't have you make a mess when it's time to change it, and is not exposed to things flung off the front tire...

integrate GPS and normal operation choice via wonder wheel in one display

I like the idea of a separate GPS unit for people who keep their bikes a long time.
If the unit is built in you're stuck with it forever.

On my last car I got a built in GPS, but ten years from now that unit will probably seem like a old 12" black and white TV.

Lee (1).jpg

Last edited:
K900rs

I would like a K900RS - a 900cc three-cylinder counterbalanced version of the K1200RS (brick) engine in a trellis frame (like the classic K-bikes and modern boxers) with inverted front forks, Paralever rear end, all the modern tires, suspension, and latest ABS tricks. However, stop short of ESA, key-less ignition, and other complex solutions looking for a problem. Not sure if I would want to keep the K1200 stroke, or bore it and short stroke it for more zip. :brow Emphasis on the classic sport-touring function.

Stuff

I like the idea of a separate GPS unit for people who keep their bikes a long time.

On my last car I got a built in GPS, but tens years from now that unit will probably seem like a old 12" black and white TV.

View attachment 77424

TV’s got cheap but figure out in today’s dollars what that stereo cost :) we used to pay a lot to listen to music.

TV’s got cheap but figure out in today’s dollars what that stereo cost :) we used to pay a lot to listen to music.

And, you should see the prices a lot of that vintage high-end stereo gear is bringing now! They truly don't make it like they used to.

I'm pretty happy with what I got now.
I would like tires that last 3 times longer than what's available now thou..
Replacing tires as often as I do is expensive.

A TFT instrument panel with Apple Car Play and Android Auto, controllable through the wonder wheel. And better taillights and brake lights.

Best,
DeVern

On my last car I got a built in GPS, but ten years from now that unit will probably seem like a old 12" black and white TV.

View attachment 77424

Good point What I am suggesting in a much larger display 7"x9" or something like that. A general purpose display. Someting color, very bright, very reflection /sun resistant. That display would serve as both the traditional speedo/ tac and other normal info we not enjoy and also be switchable via wobble wheel to GPS, and other functions, WWW, entertainment, texting etc. This would allow the display, via software updates, to keep up with rapid technology changes

GPS, once you have the satellite receiver, etc function is really just software data base that can (and should be updated frequently)...now with 5G coming more data and info will be integrate in to GPS. Our smart phones will see it first, but BMW if they have a large flexible display can link with our smart phone and give us a lot more info including info from other vehicle, road conditions, interection traffic etc etc.

IF we had this type of display today we could do Google map searches for best hotels, best diners, points of interest right now right on that screen, pandora etc...5 G and other advance will give us even more.

This very flexible larger display will allow that to keep current and not be anchored to two motorcycle and GPS display that will certainly be obsolete in the next very few years.

Of course if we get in in data overload...just wobble back to speedo and tac and enjoy the scenery!

Good point What I am suggesting in a much larger display 7"x9" or something like that. A general purpose display. Someting color, very bright, very reflection /sun resistant. That display would serve as both the traditional speedo/ tac and other normal info we not enjoy and also be switchable via wobble wheel to GPS, and other functions, WWW, entertainment, texting etc. This would allow the display, via software updates, to keep up with rapid technology changes

"Entertainment?" "Texting?" Personally I think it would be better not to have this entertainment center on a motorcycle. I think it is preferable to pay attention to the road and surroundings. Unless of course it was disabled if the motorcycle were moving. But then folks would get rear ended at traffic signals when they become engrossed while waiting for the light to change. :scratch

Seems like here on the forum, new purchase postings are frequently for an older bike like a K-Bike/Airhead or Wethead. One of the things I would be looking for is tubeless tires. Another would be a seat that would be comfortable from the start.
Other considerations-
Better touring capabilities?
Better dirt or dual use performance?
Something a lot lighter and easier to move at slow speeds- or in the garage?
Less (or more) technological gadgets?
Perhaps going electric?
Ability to service on your own?
What are you thinking for your next ride? :ear
OM

Me...I want to see myself on my next M/C. :dance

Other than that, less is more. Less electronics (which usually fail because of software) and no, not electric. (There's a real down side to electric power, battery disposal. But that's another topic, not for this thread.) If an alternate fuel source, then a hydrogen cell based system, with a nationwide refueling system in place.

"Entertainment?" "Texting?" Personally I think it would be better not to have this entertainment center on a motorcycle. I think it is preferable to pay attention to the road and surroundings. Unless of course it was disabled if the motorcycle were moving. But then folks would get rear ended at traffic signals when they become engrossed while waiting for the light to change. :scratch

Yes Keeping things simple is a good idea. But the our world is not frozen time (those some times I feel I am) and technology and youth drive change.

Just look what smart phones and car and truck technology is now inplace..contributing to sales. Tesla, Audi are leading. BMW auto manufacturing is not the leader but will certainly follow sooner or later.
Some subset will evolve to motorcycles....and that is what I'm talking about.

I agree with Paul

I used to say the same thing to my brother.

What I'm Looking For in my Next Bike

Great Seat
Great Styling
Light Weight
Great Sounding Motor
All Day Comfort

I guess I already have those in both my R1150RT and R90s. OK, the RT isn't exactly light at 600+ lbs., but it DOES feel 100 lbs. lighter when I let out the clutch. I've had my eye on the new R1250RS, but when I start to get serious the price pushes me back and I think, "why get another bike that I'll have to spend even more money on a decent seat and luggage?"

LED Lighting
Comfortable seat

I shouldn't have to spend $200 to upgrade my $20K+ bike to have decent headlights (one area that HD has advantage over BMW)

I also shouldn't have to $$$ for a reasonable seat.

Ski

A gas pump " Chip reader"

I would like to be able to pull up to a gas pump and not have to pull out my wallet and go through the CC drill.
Ski Areas now have this system where you have a card with a chip in it. You pull up in the lift line, your chip gets read and the gate swings open, no ticket checker.
I'd like to pull up to the pump open the gas cap, grab the nozzle and start pumping and leave.
Thats what I want!

Back