• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacing Brake Fluid

I want to replace my brake fluid and am wondering if the ABS requires any special tools or procedures. I have done so on my other non-ABS bikes using a vacuum device but reluctant to without checking with the forum.

Thanks, Ralph

Flush the brakes as you would a non-ABS bike. Cycling the ABS pump is a good thing to do. You can do it with a $400 GS911, or ride on a gravel road and activate the ABS a few times. There is very little fluid in the ABS module so a few brief activations is all you need.

You didn't mention what bike/model that you have, but if it's a GS, there are locking tabs on some of the front brake reservoirs. I use a piece of string pulled tight around the top to push in the tabs, or you buy the special tool. Other than that, akbeemer mentioned everything else.

Video showing the string trick:

I use a (more or less) horseshoe shaped piece of wire to depress the two tabs on the reservoir.

And by the way, as a rant, what is the purpose and who is the demented genius that decided it should take a special tool to refresh brake fluid?

Back